WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I've decided to make a change in my collection a couple of months back to more vintage over modern pieces. So far has been great; bought a Porsche Design Orfina Chono, a 14k Bulova Astronaut, and then came across this all original Glycine Airman Special from the 60's.
IMG_8443.jpg

Now the seller that I did buy this from said the watch was running but service history was unknown so I kinda knew the risk I was taking. However I've notice a couple of issues with the watch:

1) If you try to align the hands up at dead-set 12; the hour hand itself is slightly ahead of the minute hand almost halfway to the 0100 hours position.

2) I couldn't believe when I saw this but when I first got the watch it was around 5 pm; so I set the time at 1730 position, threw it on the wrist, and got up and walked around for a bit. Literally, 15 mins later I look down and the hour hand is all the way up at the 20:00 hours position (the minute hand was at the correct time).

I wanted to experiment today and set the time forward to where the hour hand was in the 1200-1800 hours range and sure enough a quick move of the arm and the hour hand jumped forward. However its no fully lose and just seems to do this occasionally.

3) Also on-time setting the watch the seconds hand started to move counterclockwise and the only way to stop was to pull out the crown and reset.

So I am pretty sure the watch needs a service which leads me to my current dilemma:

I really do like this watch and wouldn't mind having to invest some extra cash to get it back into full working condition. However, I just spoke to a vintage repair expert here in Charlotte, NC where I live and he said he could def service the cal AS1700/01 movement but he is not taking on any more work and is about on a 4-month backlog. He said when it comes to specialized vintage servicing here in Charlotte one watchsmith retired and another just passed recently making him one of the only guys in town that can work on a wide variety of vintage movements.

So my question for the forum here is there any qualified watchsmiths that you all have worked with in the past that can help restore this Vintage Airman back to its full glory?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
The forum opinion is the watch is counterfeit. Please see earlier post on this forum titled Counterfeit Airman Redux on eBay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts