WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,
I will be traveling through Dubai on my way to the states next week and I wanted to pick up an orange dailed Seiko. Which model is the best in your opinion is what Im after. It will be an everyday kind of watch but I will be changing out the band for sure. Show me pics of yours if you have one. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Which model is best for what? The opinion given will depend on the type of use you wish to give the watch. That said. The majority of orange dialed watches made by seiko are divers, as such, the highest end mechanical model Seiko makes with an orange dial is the SBDC005:

However, that watch is a Japan market model, so you will not likely find it in Dubai.

Amongst the mechanical models you are likely to find in Dubai, you'll want to consider the SKX781 "Orange Monster":

or the SKX011K (which is identical to this Japan Market SKX011J, but doesn't say 21 Jewels below the depth rating):

The SKXA55 Orange Bullet:

or the new SKZ249 Orange FrankenTuna:

Amongst the Quartz models which you are likely to find in Dubai, you can't go wrong with the SHC059 Sawtooth:

or the SBCM029, with it's higher end 8F35 movement and perpetual calendar:

Or the SKA291 Orange Boss:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Orange Sumo (SBDC005) for the win!
Even better, go with the Orange Sumo with a bracelet...makes me go gaga..
its not available direct from the factory with a bracelet, but i believe Sieya will sell it with the bracelet for an additional cost =0)

Found a quick picture - not the best but you can find some much better ones if you do a search...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the Orange Sumo looks great as does the SKZ249K-S. I have no idea what it is called on the street but it looks good as well.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Orange Sumo (SBDC005) for the win!
Even better, go with the Orange Sumo with a bracelet...makes me go gaga..
its not available direct from the factory with a bracelet, but i believe Sieya will sell it with the bracelet for an additional cost =0)
He said he would be buying the watch in Dubai. While I agree that the Orange Sumo is the best watch of the lot, it is a JDM model and not available where he will be shopping.

Yes the Orange Sumo looks great as does the SKZ249K-S. I have no idea what it is called on the street but it looks good as well.
It is called by the model number. It's nickname is FrankenTuna, though most stores don't recognize the nickname, as seiko doesn't use it. It is a big watch and built like a tank. I could have sworn that I have seen it both on a rubber strap and on a black bracelet (Don't quote me on the bracelet though).

Do keep in mind that in field situations, while mechanicals should perform adequately, they are no match for the impact resistance and accuracy of a quartz.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be mainly used on R&R. I have my Suuntos for field duty which work quite well. I want to put a different band on the diver to dress it up a bit. Good thing there are lots of choices in that arena.

·
Registered
247 Posts
thanks for posting those pics, ISTHMUS

this forum is very helpful!...|>

although, somewhat expensive sometimes...:-d

brad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Although not available in Dubai the orange sumo rocks. If you ordered one online from Japan now, it would be in the states in approx one week anyway.

Gratuitous picture

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Sumo is nice. Anyone have a Franken Tuna?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
This is kind of cheating, and its not really a Seiko, but Orient is a Seiko company. My best "Seiko" orange watch - the Orient 300m.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Is there more than one shade of Orange that Seiko uses on these watches?

I'm sure it has to just be the lighting, but I'm in the market for an orange diver and it's worth it to make sure. :)

I'm gonna assume that the orange is just being manipulated by light unless someone tells me differently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts