WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which model should I buy the dw5600 or the muddy 1v?
what are the pros and cons of both?
much appreciation!
thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
What do you intend to use this watch for?

Are you going to use it for outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking, mountain biking, rock-climbing etc, or?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Personally, I've never really liked how the 5600 looked. It is a classic that many people love around here so don't let my one opinion distract you based on the looks. I just received a Mudman and I really love it. It is comfortable, just looks cool IMO, has great features. OTOH, it is a little big but that's how I like my G's, the 5600 is a good bit smaller. I have never owned a 5600 but many people like it's simplicity and the fact that many feel it has all of the necessary functions. The 5600 is an obvious Icon for G, but the Muddy has the ability to become one as well but IMO will never replace the 5600 at the top. Really, it comes down to looks and looking at their features for your self and seeing which has the better features. The only con I see with the Muddy are the little stiffer than usual buttons due to the mud resistance but honestly not a hassle by any means. Really, being that they aren't that expensive (check my amazon thread) buy one, wait a little bit if need be, and get the other.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The mudman looks big, but it is not really that much bigger or heavier, just that in looks it seems to project more presence. Even if you buy the black module, the buttons come in red. There are 1 or 2 more features in the mudman module though, and a nifty alarm display in the center of the watch.

Although smaller in size the 5600 does just as good a job in displaying all the time and date info, as it does not have those LCD strips of swirls that are present in other bigger size Gs, you can still get all the full, day, date and time info just like the mudman. Hey it is a classic that is why it is still popular.

Both watches are G shocks and should survive your outdoor or diving activities pretty well.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i'd go with DW-5600 or GW-5600 (the solar version) purely cos i think the 5600 is a wicked looking retro watch, although it took me a while to like the square look, plus there are loads of nice limited editions (camo/jelly/bright colours/etc) i never took to the Mudman look, and it still doesnt look 'quite right'

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here is a wrist shot or two of the Muddy

I like this muddy. Saw it at a shop recently and getting one soon? well, maybe next year :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you intend to use this watch for?

Are you going to use it for outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking, mountain biking, rock-climbing etc, or?
yeah, mainly for college use.
i hate having to always look at my cell for the time.
i'm getting into g-shocks and this forum has just fueled it.
i really can't say i do too much outdoor activity besides longboarding.

btw, thanks for all the posts and opinions!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi Mike,

Imho, I would recommend the DW5600 first, its a great watch with features most useful. Great legibility is a plus. A classic design, and I only started buying and wearing it in Oct this year.

The mudman has a futuristic look, very tool-like and my fave feature is the integrated buttons, a watch which you can swim, hike etc, with no worries.

The DW 5600 works for casual or office attire.
The G9000 I would humbly say should be for casual/sporty.

Both are great watches. Pic below taken with the G2500.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I suggest the 5600 as well. I bought one on a whim, and it's feel/comfort is amazing. I also own a mudman, but I'm a little disappointed in the scratchy nubs on the caseback (it kind of irritates my wrist).

You can pick up a mudman pretty cheap on amazon right now. The g9001v is going for about $46.

You can pick up a 5600 on amazon for about $42.

·
Registered
441 Posts
:)Coming from Mr Ultraman, the man that almost finished buying up his mudman collection and is now focusing on new targets the 056 polygon and the DW5600.:-d

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I really like that pic Ultra, it's my new background. Do you own the 2500, because I'm about an inch away from clicking the buy now button to get one. Do you have a wrist shot with it? Did they discontinue this model, there isn't info to be found on Casio's site... I've always liked the design of this one and they are darn cheap, probably near a vintage age.... anyway... Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

·
Registered
223 Posts
another vote for the 5600,I have had a load of muddie's but the 5600 model weather it's the E version,vintage C version,or GW ceptor is so classic I consider it to be the Icon of digi watches.

CHEERS:roll:
john

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm wearing a DW5600 to office today ;-)

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I love my Mudman and don't own a 5600, but here are a couple of things to consider. The buttons on the Mudman are pretty stiff to push and if you plan on using the STW and CDT functions a lot you may want to lean towards the 5600. If you won't be using the functions very much then I'd go for the Mudman.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I'll go with Brian... I just don't really like the 5600, I won't say why as I don't want to offend anyone (not that it's really that bad) but I really like the Mudman watches, so I'll vote for them as well.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'll go for 5600 cause I like the classic design and I been with them since 1987 since my first g-shock as dw-5600c.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
*not meaning to hijack the thread

Hi Nick,

Yes, I have the G2500, and the reason I bought it was because of the slightly similar look to the Frogman (which I have not bought yet because of the price)

The G2500 wears pretty well on the wrist, and is similar in size to the G2000. I do not have any wrist shots right now, but this model is available in Asia, its not discontinued yet.

Regards,
Patrick

I really like that pic Ultra, it's my new background. Do you own the 2500, because I'm about an inch away from clicking the buy now button to get one. Do you have a wrist shot with it? Did they discontinue this model, there isn't info to be found on Casio's site... I've always liked the design of this one and they are darn cheap, probably near a vintage age.... anyway... Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
:)Coming from Mr Ultraman, the man that almost finished buying up his mudman collection and is now focusing on new targets the 056 polygon and the DW5600.:-d

Yes sir, come hell or highwater, I'm going to track them down like a CasioHound.

But seriously, I'm narrowing my collecting focus currently, the new-to-the-forum broad collecting mentality has dissipated....:-!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Mudman and 5600 are the only 2 G's I currently own, and I really like them both. The 5600 is my work watch and I wear the atomic Mudman after work. Old School or Classic are two words to describe the 5600, but at the same time it is always worn by the "nerd" in Hollywood movies? I think the Mudman is a much more "modern" style so it just depends what you like? Seriously, get them both! :-d

1 - 20 of 40 Posts