WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

I am looking to get a birth year (1972) watch from preferably Rolex or Omega.

I am wanting something within the 34-36mm range, preferably light-coloured dial and preferably no date. Manual wind would be a bonus too.

The Rolex models I am aware of are the 6426, 5500 and 1002. I'm not sure if there are other options to consider?

Most of the Omegas I've seen that meet the criteria seem to be from the 50's and 60's. I currently have a no-date, manual wind, steel Omega from the late 50's or early 60's which I really like the look of, but I'm not sure there's something similar available from 1972. I've attached a pic of my Omega.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Omega Manual Wind.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
If you relaxed your "no-date" requirement, you would have many more options.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you relaxed your "no-date" requirement, you would have many more options.
Thanks for your reply, Dan.

I have a modern Datejust, so I'd prefer to go with a no-date. But I'm not ruling out a watch with a date completely.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are a few Omegas from the 70's without a date.
Take a look at the Dynamic and the De Ville range. Both were in production in 1972.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,457 Posts
Check also jlc, zodiac, zenith, iwc, cyma, roamer, favre leuba, ollech & wajs, rado, record, wittnauer, aquastar, hamilton, certina, tissot, wyler, gübelin, breitling, alpina, arsa, bulova

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks vealmike and Georges for your suggestions. I had also considered JLC, Zenith and IWC, but I don't know much about them. I think the modern Zenith Elite Ultra Thin and JLC Master Ultra Thin are some of the most beautiful dress watches around - something like those in a smaller size would be great.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been having a look at quite a number of sites for vintage Omega and Rolex.

I can find quite a few 1972 Oyster Precisions and Oyster Perpetuals (no date) that I like, but the prices seem higher than when I last looked. Is around $2000 to $3000 the going rate these days for these watches?

WRT Omega, I have found some really great examples from the mid 50's to mid 60's (you're so right about being born at the wrong time, Dan ;-) ) and am tempted to forget the birth year idea and get one of these. I've looked at sites like Omega Addict, Watchestobuy and Vintage-Portfolio. They really have some beautiful examples, but, again, is $1000 to $1500 now the going rate for steel manual or automatic no-date Omegas?

Again, any advice or input is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
753 Posts
The Longines Admirals, Olympians, and Ultra-Chrons from that timeframe are nice...they may all be perpetuals though, i'm not sure. Search them on ebay for examples and prices.

Edit: Looks like all of the Ultra-Chrons have date...i guess that 431 movement is date-only. Too bad...that hi-beat movement is a joy to hear.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I can find quite a few 1972 Oyster Precisions and Oyster Perpetuals (no date) that I like, but the prices seem higher than when I last looked. Is around $2000 to $3000 the going rate these days for these watches?
I think that with some patience, you can probably get something decent in the $2000-$2500 range, but if you are looking at retail prices, I'm not surprised that you're seeing prices up to $3k. Even on eBay, you won't find anything decent for under $2k.

I've looked at sites like Omega Addict, Watchestobuy and Vintage-Portfolio. They really have some beautiful examples, but, again, is $1000 to $1500 now the going rate for steel manual or automatic no-date Omegas?
No, with patience you can definitely find something nice for under $1k on eBay. We have seen some good examples going for $600 recently in no-reserve auctions, and there are plenty available in the $700-$800 range.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks very much for all taking the time to offer some input and advice.

Fourthirteen, there is a very nice 1968 Longines on the sales forum at the moment that I like, but the seller is only selling CONUS. I've seen quite a few Longines that I like, but none from 1972 that are available, so I'm thinking I may just keep a look out anyway. Quite a few very nice gold ones with stick markers and some with sub seconds.

Badbackdan, I think the watch that is appealing most to me, that I can find from 1972, would be a manual wind Oyster Precision. My favourite Omegas seem to all be from the 50's and 60's. So perhaps I'll put up a WTB for both the Oyster Precision and Longines.

There is a 1972 Oyster Precision currently advertised by Antique Watch Company in London, which would be perfect, but they're asking around $3700. It does say that you can suggest a price though, so this may be an option.

Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks very much for these links, Dan. Appreciate you taking the time to look those up for me. I had seen the ad for the mid-size one, but not the 34mm.

The 34mm Oyster Perpetual is exceptionally nice and making me even reconsider the idea of a Precision with it's manual wind! One thing I noticed, though, is that the seller says every "major" part is genuine Rolex. What would that mean? Is it normal to perhaps replace some movement parts, for example, with non-Rolex parts? I would think case, dial, hands, crystal, bracelet would all be considered major parts.

The other problem, of course, is that the seller only sells to the US...

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
You should ask the seller what he means by "major". I wouldn't want to guess. Some people might consider the crystal not to be "major", but he could also mean end-links (which are actually hard to find), etc. It's also possible that this is just boilerplate text in his listings, so maybe everything is original in this case. You should ask questions.

Keep an eye open for the Air-Kings from that era; they should also be in that price range.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts