WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and this would be my first post. I have been reading the forums a lot lately, and it seems that you guys are a group of very informed and intelligent people when it comes to the study of horology. Therefore, I have come to you guys with a pressing question with regards to my next watch purchase, I hope you would be able to entertain my inquiry.

Recently I have been in the market for a new dress watch. I have set my eyes on the new JLC MUT Perpetual in SS.
This is a boutique only item with a low production number, and according to my research is a really scarce piece.
Currently there is only one example available in all US boutique stores combined, while the total wait list for US is around 30~40 people; also 0 examples in HK, Macau and Singapore combined. I have managed to locate a boutique in Asia with an example in stock, but they are only willing to discount 5%($19,400) off the retail, and that is after my friend made a phone call to the owner of the boutique. Am I correct in my understanding that that most Boutiques do not tend to discount their sales? I must contrast this with my previous watch purchase experience, an AP RO Dual Time in RG, where I was able to get 20% off in HK from an Authorized Dealer.

I was wondering, would such a low discount level makes this an unwise purchase? Do you believe that the low discount level is justified by the scarcity of the piece, or by its virtue of being a boutique only item?:-s

My other option would be the thicker JLC 8 day Perpetual in SS which I could obtain with 25% off at $18,075. This watch has a list price of $24,000 v.s. the $20,000 of the MUT. Do you guys think the 8 day, which is less scarce, would be a wiser choice? I have a rather thin wrist, skinny build, and am looking for a watch that can be worn with suits.

Please let me know of your thoughts. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thank You!:-!

JLCMasterUltraThinPerpetual-15.jpg L1170453.jpg IMG_1000.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,350 Posts
Why would any dealer discount a product in limited supply, with high demand and a waiting list?

Rick "surprised there is any discount at all" Denney

Reactions: Skippy4000

·
Registered
872 Posts
Since it is a boutique only watch, it should hold value better than JLCs that are not since they are not widely available and discounts are, in fact, limited. Do you see yourself selling this piece down the line? If not, then go for it and buy the MUTPerpetual!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Off aesthetics alone, I would take the 8 day perpetual every time. That's not to say the other one isn't stunning... I just far prefer the 8 day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the input! I do not believe I would be selling the watch in the near future. But I am just too used to getting discounts when buying a watch.
I am taking that you guys are saying the MUT perpetual is a better buy than the Master 8 days Perpetual then? :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
8 day for me. #1. longer PR. #2. I prefer the dial - more interesting to look at.

Reactions: Skippy4000

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unlike most, I actually prefer the MUT. But I'm guessing the no discount policy must be a boutique thing. Omega doesn't give discounts anymore, and when I went to a jewelry store to look at a Milgauss the salesperson actually told me they would lose their Rolex AD status if they gave a discount.

·
Registered
386 Posts
From my understanding boutique only models are generally not (or only minorly) discounted due to the fact that they are limited editions. They do hold their values better because you really don't find these models easily obtainable thru grey market dealers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts