WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my dilemma. I know of seiko. I'm nowhere unfamiliar with them. However, I have never owned one. I know they are regarded highly for affordable watches with quality. My biggest gripe is all the watches seem like something a high school science teacher would wear. The SARB series has caught my eye but hasn't really made me giddy. I know seiko is a good brand with strong history and can stand behind their watches. But is there any seiko that I won't find ugly? I want to
Like the brand. But watches like the monsters are horrendous looking to me. Is there a seiko out there that is more. Well tame? I'm looking around the same price range as the SARB watches. I hope I didnt offend the seiko community. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can you be more specific about what type of tameness you are looking for? SARBs are pretty tame sports watches, and they don't look half-bad on a strap (which is a little tamer). It's easier to get giddy about them after handling one -- the main problem there is that they are in Japan before you buy them. Everyone seems to really like them. My advice would be to just pick the one you like, then just buy it.

Monsters are chunky funky divers. Seiko makes other divers that are pretty good, and probably tamer. Look at the Sumo, a dressy diver (but bigger than the monster). Also, the SKX007/173 is tamer, well-regarded diver (and only in the $300 range).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the 007 caught my eye as well. I have a slight distaste for divers sadly. I think I will end up goin with one of the SARB line. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If you like chronos you might check out the vintage 6138s and 6139s. You can also track down some current quartz chronos if you're not married to the idea of a mechanical Seiko.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Heres my dilemma. I know of seiko. I'm nowhere unfamiliar with them. However, I have never owned one. I know they are regarded highly for affordable watches with quality. My biggest gripe is all the watches seem like something a high school science teacher would wear. The SARB series has caught my eye but hasn't really made me giddy. I know seiko is a good brand with strong history and can stand behind their watches. But is there any seiko that I won't find ugly? I want to
Like the brand. But watches like the monsters are horrendous looking to me. Is there a seiko out there that is more. Well tame? I'm looking around the same price range as the SARB watches. I hope I didnt offend the seiko community. Any help is appreciated.
The whole tone of your post sounds like you really don't want a Seiko :)

If you can't find one that strikes your fancy by doing a search on this forum; you're not likely to find anything that will fill the bill.

That being said; all too often, folks like yourself only have second hand info and pictures to go by. When they do buy that Seiko; most become real enthusiasts because ther is so much more to a Seiko than any magazine or photograph can show you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts