WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you A1000 owners...

I originally owned an A1000D - the bracelet version. After making any adjustments with the crown, I would line up the marker, push it in and rotate it. After maybe 5 turns, it would lock in place such that I couldn't turn it any more.

I then purchased an A1000RAF... however, the crown does not lock, I push it in and rotate, but it never stops rotating. I thought it would operate the same as my A1000D, but it does not - not matter what I've tried.

I think saw this document, where it doesn't reference that the crown would stop at all... just that you should position it until the marker lines up with "mark 2".

So my question to your A1000 owners - does your crown lock? Is my RAF defective?

WS000001.JPG

·
Registered
550 Posts
My RAF locks.

I have a question for you A1000 owners...

I originally owned an A1000D - the bracelet version. After making any adjustments with the crown, I would line up the marker, push it in and rotate it. After maybe 5 turns, it would lock in place such that I couldn't turn it any more.

I then purchased an A1000RAF... however, the crown does not lock, I push it in and rotate, but it never stops rotating. I thought it would operate the same as my A1000D, but it does not - not matter what I've tried.

I think saw this document, where it doesn't reference that the crown would stop at all... just that you should position it until the marker lines up with "mark 2".

So my question to your A1000 owners - does your crown lock? Is my RAF defective?

View attachment 810914

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F... Sigh. And thanks. That really stinks. I guess I'll have to find a place to send it to. I don't suppose Casio USA will be much help. :-(

·
Registered
306 Posts
F... Sigh. And thanks. That really stinks. I guess I'll have to find a place to send it to. I don't suppose Casio USA will be much help. :-(
You would be surprised. They were very helpful with me when I contacted them but like all CS these days is pays to be polite with them. Firm? yes. Demanding? no. Treat people good and they treat you good. That was my experience with casio CS. It never ceases to amaze me when people complain about CS (not casio just any CS) being terrible and I wonder how the customer first initiated the conversation.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My comment regarding Casio CS is not based on having ever called them... it's based on that this model is not available in the US (at least that's my understanding). Since I purchased it from a seller in Japan, I'm dreading having to potentially send it back to Japan for service.

I will try Casio US tomorrow with the hope that they will be able to help... but we'll see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You said - "I would line up the marker, push it in and rotate it. After maybe 5 turns, it would lock in place such that I couldn't turn it any more. " I am pretty sure you don't need to keep rotating the crown to lock it. It is not a screw down crown, so you don't need to screw it down till it stops turning. All you need to do is press down, turn to align and let go. It should stay down and locked.

If you have pushed it down and aligned it to the lock mark, the crown should stay down. To check if it is locked just pull at the crown. if it does not come out when you pull it, it is already locked.

This same crown is found on the Casio's Edifice line so Casio US should be no stranger to the electronic crown. They should be able to help you. Anyway... good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks meta... Then i wonder why let the crown lock in the first place. It's very confusing. I just figured that if they made the crown lock, thats the proper use.
wish a few other A1000 owners would chime in.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
On both of my RAF and 1000A, the crown doesn't stop rotating after it was pushed and turned to lock position. They just don't pop out. I think the lock means it is pushed in securely. The crown can still be rotated more, and that's how you pop the crown out for setting.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Just wore mine yesterday. If the dot doesn't line up with the white dot the crown doesn't seem to go to that "base" level. Then when it hits the red dot it is contained. Haven't tried to twist past that, so i wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The RAF has no issue the crown will rotate indefinitely it simply needs to be compressed, engaged with "mark 2" and released the crown is then locked. I have two GW-A1000RAF and they are both identical in operation.

Q-6

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the replies. I guess this is normal. Still very confusing why some crowns will lock and some won't. Seems odd, but I guess it doesn't matter that much. Thanks for settling this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm as well.
Your watch is perfectly fine.
Unless mine is defective as well :)

I own the RAF and it works exactly the same way yours does.
In fact I do not consider the functioning "odd" but on the contrary think it is perfect.
The crown will not accidentally come out since it is very well protected, but can be pushed and twisted out with just one finger easily without the need to take off the watch. After that it sticks out enough to be pulled and operated while on the wrist.

I have read that other (non G-shock) Casio's with the same crown indeed function the way you describe. They do not lock with just half a twist, but ahve to be screwed in or out with several turns. I think this will be much more cumbersome to perform on the wrist, even though I never tried one personally.

What puzzles me though is that from the description of your A1000D it seems it was equipped with the "screw-type" crown. Which I thought was not used on on the G-shock GW-1000 series. Maybe the A1000D is an exception (but I would be surprised), maybe it was assembled with the wrong movement (I again would be surprised - now that sure is a collector's item ;-) ) or maybe you did not play long enough with it to get the feel of how it was exactly working?

·
Registered
534 Posts
What puzzles me though is that from the description of your A1000D it seems it was equipped with the "screw-type" crown. Which I thought was not used on on the G-shock GW-1000 series. Maybe the A1000D is an exception (but I would be surprised), maybe it was assembled with the wrong movement (I again would be surprised - now that sure is a collector's item ;-) ) or maybe you did not play long enough with it to get the feel of how it was exactly working?
I have the 1000D, and it has the same crown as the RAF and the standard 1000, i.e. the crown just needs to be aligned, pushed in, and then twisted to the lock position (it is not a screwdown crown in the usual sense, e.g. as found on dive watches).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was confused about this initially as well, but you should be able to feel a very subtle "click" when the markers line up.
hope this helps. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts