WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a serious dilemma for my Grail. This is the first decent chunk of money I've been willing to spend on a watch. I'm between the GS SBGA083/085, SBGR053/051, and the Seiko SBDB017. Please all feedback and comments will be much appreciated. Thanks watchfam!

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Personally, I am a fan of SBGA083 over the other two (purely in terms of aesthetics). May I also suggest the Grand Seiko Snowflake? It's also a Spring Drive, and quite stunning in person.

·
Premium Member
22,577 Posts
If I were to get a Spring Drive, it would indeed be the Grand Seiko Snowflake. The dial is very beautiful, the power reserve marker is very nicely executed, and the blued seconds hand just adds the right touch of color to the watch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the advice, my budget just doesn't warrant for a 5500 MSRP piece right now. Trying to stick around 3k mark.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The case design on the SBDB017 leaves me cold - straight out of a '60s Japanese monster movie - and, this is highly personal, the Spring Drive just doesn't mesh with me in a diver.
Regarding the
SBGR053/051, they are fine watches beautifully executed, but, well, kind of dull. I mean, they are a Seiko. imagine a conversation with some friends where you tell them about your watch - I gaurantee you that 99% will be asleep. only the most WIS like will care.
Whereas the Sppring Drives have a hook - that cool little movement! Now you have people interested. And after you hopok them you can regale them with tales of accuracy, inovation, exclusivity - that GS stuff has more meaning wrapped around that movement. Now you can show them the workmanship and style and they will most likely say -"wow, i didn't know....'

And lastly,silver dial over black

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
GS watches are quite impressive, as are the movements.
But I would suggest trying them on in person before making any purchase. These can often be two-faced - great in pics or under a loupe, but very bland in person or on the wrist. Of course this is just a personal opinion and rather subjective, but I find that few brands can vary so much for me between photo and reality as GS.
Everytime I go see one - I'm excited, everytime I grab it - I'm like "is this it?".

There are some exceptions. Personally I like GS models that have a bit of "wow" to them - some addl dial or case component to spice things up.
Ones I like (again subjective opinion):
- SBGM021 GMT - just richer dial, nice leather, cool hands
- Snowflake\Blizzard - dials on both of these are quite nice and offer a lot of texture depth
- SBGR095 or something similar from historical collection - although LEs are hard to find once the run is sold out.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Seems to me like you have quite a few grails, which might make me think you actually have no true grail at the moment.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I know,that sounds more like a jumble of GS/Seiko you can afford in your budget...

I think I've seen pre owned snowflake for around $3500 while I was in Japan

Grand Seiko are an amazing watch brand,however some of them are too perfect to the point of boring....snowflake has an interesting dial and an even more interesting titanium case and bracelet....as for the others...most of them are simply boring to my eyes...except maybe some of the LEs with green dial...but usually they go for an even higher price than the snowflake...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts