WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the Omega boutique in NYC and tried on the new speedmaster with the two sub dials. Gorgeous watch, very thick but the display back was beautiful. I'm a little concerned about the 100M rating with a non-screw down crown, but will trust if i take it swimming it will survive.

The price on leather was $8,600. Bracelet was $8,700. Odd, but I'm a bracelet guy.
This would be my first Omega and for the money, I'm considering two other watches:
1. Used black dial Rolex Daytona (already own a white dial)
2. New black dial Rolex Explorer 2 - 42mm

Part of me feels the speedmaster is over-priced given the relatively basic dial, face and hands (all plastic?) but the display back and movement makes me feel it might be worth the price.

What do you Omega owners think of the new speedmaster? Would you buy it over the new explorer or a Daytona?
Is it worth $9K in your opinion?

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
For 1/3rd the money you can have the Moonwatch. The new Speedmaster with the in-house coax chronograph movement is nice enough, but at nearly $9k I don't get it. That movement in the PO chronograph makes a whole lot more sense to me (and you get 600m water resistance with underwater chrono button use). I tried it on at the boutique but it's WAY too big for my girly 7" wrist!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I wold have the same concern for some of the newer models. Seemingly the thickness continues to increase. Not everyone can, or wants, to wear a watch of such thickness. We really have not discussed this too much with the newer models having come out which is surprising. I would second Jarrod's recommendation of the original Speedy Pro.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If I had 9k to buy a chronograph i'd buy a pre-moon landing speedmaster in the best condition i could find and get it restored to like new (if it wasn't already like new) by omega :D but if we are going to limit ourselves to modern chronographs, At that price point I'd go with a jlc master control chronograph or a zenith el primero. If you don't mind not spending it all just get a real speedmaster pro, looks better, costs less, has more history than any other omega, etc.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I stopped by the Omega boutique in NYC and tried on the new speedmaster with the two sub dials. Gorgeous watch, very thick but the display back was beautiful. I'm a little concerned about the 100M rating with a non-screw down crown, but will trust if i take it swimming it will survive.

The price on leather was $8,600. Bracelet was $8,700. Odd, but I'm a bracelet guy.
This would be my first Omega and for the money, I'm considering two other watches:
1. Used black dial Rolex Daytona (already own a white dial)
2. New black dial Rolex Explorer 2 - 42mm

Part of me feels the speedmaster is over-priced given the relatively basic dial, face and hands (all plastic?) but the display back and movement makes me feel it might be worth the price.

What do you Omega owners think of the new speedmaster? Would you buy it over the new explorer or a Daytona?
Is it worth $9K in your opinion?

Thanks for your responses.
Have you tried on a Rolex Explorer 2? If not, you may be disappointed when you do. The bracelet feels very cheap and the watch itself is not nearly as nice in the flesh as I was expecting.
Daytona - too small, very overrated (and over priced) watch IMO.
Having said that, I don't really "dig" the new Speedmaster 9300 either, especially for $8700.

If you want better water resistance than the Speedy and a screw down crown, you could go for a new SMP if you don't mind the skeleton hands, a Planet Ocean or even an Aqua Terra.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Have you tried on a Rolex Explorer 2? If not, you may be disappointed when you do. The bracelet feels very cheap and the watch itself is not nearly as nice in the flesh as I was expecting.
Daytona - too small, very overrated (and over priced) watch IMO.
Having said that, I don't really "dig" the new Speedmaster 9300 either, especially for $8700.

If you want better water resistance than the Speedy and a screw down crown, you could go for a new SMP if you don't mind the skeleton hands, a Planet Ocean or even an Aqua Terra.
The OP was referring to the new EXPII -216570. The bracelet on that does not feel cheap at all.

Agreed, the new Speedmaster - I just don't get it... :rofl:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The OP was referring to the new EXPII -216570. The bracelet on that does not feel cheap at all.
I was also referring to the new one with the thicker hands and orange GMT hand. I wanted to try it as it's larger at 42mm but came away disappointed with my money still in my pocket. To me, the bracelet felt cheap and the watch just didn't do it for me at all.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I was also referring to the new one with the thicker hands and orange GMT hand. I wanted to try it as it's larger at 42mm but came away disappointed with my money still in my pocket. To me, the bracelet felt cheap and the watch just didn't do it for me at all.
And that giant orange GMT hand looks cheap and tacky, IMO. I do like the older Exp IIs, though.

To the OP: $8,700 is the MSRP. Don't buy it at the boutique. You should be able to find an AD that can offer you a nice discount. For a street price in the sub seven thousand dollar range, it would be an excellent buy. I love that watch's aesthetics and proportions, and the new movement is a work of art. The hands are not plastic, BTW. The dial should be metal as well, I believe. The matte finish is functional, as it offers better legibility, which is essential for a true tool watch.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
ExpII hands down, not even a close fight.

Bracelet felt great, the size is a little bit big if you are used to the older ExpII but nothing gigantic..cough POC

Since you already have a daytona, I would suggest to get the new EXPII, I love the new(actually "OLD") orange hand

The speedmaster is nice, the new coax chrono is nice but when you mixed both together...no offense but how many version of speedy can Omega make before it's too much? I understand its probably one of their upmarket move but for that money there's better watch on the market IMHO

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a little surprised at the responses. I was secretly hoping this would be a bunch of enablers like the TRF members, but you guys seems more sensible. :)

Back to the drawing board... thanks all.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm a new owner of an Omega watch and loving it but...
For 9K, I think there are many, better watches out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts