WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background: This watch was given to my great grandfather upon retirement from Corbetta Construction Company. I'm not sure exactly when the watch was presented to him. It was passed down to my grandfather and worn until he passed away in 1998. It's a piece very close to my heart as my grandfather was an amazing man. I still think about him every day.

Just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has one has any info about a watch like this.

It still runs which is amazing to me considering I know it hasn't been serviced in at least 40 years. I do plan on getting it serviced soon.

Anyway. Pics:

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Reactions: VIGGY

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Great family heirloom. Fantastic high quality deep engraving in the solid gold case.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Nice watch!!!

It is a Hamilton K-202 as others have said. it is a 14kt solid gold watch with 18kt gold markers on it.

The watch looks nice. I suspect that it has had its dial refinished as there are no radium burns on the dial. That was one of many Hamilton watches of the era that had radium painted on the underside of the hands so as to give the hands a silhouette appearance in the dark. It was most likely a stunning thing to see. But would have burned the dial leaving a shadow of the hands on it.

It looks like the dial was refinished and the radium most likely removed. Also the second hand is wrong for this watch. it should have a "tail". But as it was this way while your grandfather owned it, I would not change it. Just service it (if there is radium on the hands still then have it removed) and just wear it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much!

It's definitely a very special piece to me, and I'm glad I know more about it now.

You guys rock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts