WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I think that this watch is by Sylvain Dreyfuss. My question is does that mean it is a Rotary watch ? I know by the marks that it is 9ct gold, perhaps rose gold ? and its assay office is Chester. I am struggling to ident the date letter though. It looks like a C , when i look for chester gold marks, I only seem to get silver marks come up ! I presume they are different. If anyone can help me date this watch I would be most grateful. It belonged to my great aunt who was born 1896.
many thanks for any info

Clock Amber Gold Jewellery Quartz clock
Gold Amber Yellow Natural material Artifact
Fluid Amber Font Measuring instrument Circle

·
Premium Member
Various
38 Posts
Hi,

I would say that the hallmarks date the case to 1928. There were no different date letters for silver and gold.

With respect to the movement it seems to be a Swiss movement with cylinder escapement. I do, however, not know anything further about it.

Your aunt apparently took well care of the watch, optically it is in very nice condition, rarely seen.

Cheers, Bernhard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks. It says swiss made 8 jewells on the movement. The case english made, Chester. I guess 1928 would be correct then. I looked at the date mark chart again. I was going by the exact shape of the shield that the letter was in which looked different in the 1928 compared to the 1841, but I guess Sylvain Dreyfuss fits in with the 1928 date ! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I would say that the hallmarks date the case to 1928. There were no different date letters for silver and gold.

With respect to the movement it seems to be a Swiss movement with cylinder escapement. I do, however, not know anything further about it.

Your aunt apparently took well care of the watch, optically it is in very nice condition, rarely seen.

Cheers, Bernhard
What would the face be made of ? It is very pretty. Would that be gold on it. It works fine too. Its a little delicate for my chunky wrists otherwise I would wear it, shame

·
Premium Member
Various
38 Posts
Yes, the dial is really very well preserved, no scratches either. As for the material, I would guess silver, gold plated. But gold is also not excluded, however, I know too little about wristwatches of this period.

By the way, movements with cylinder escapement are often looked down upon, but such movements are quite robust and have - well maintained - amazing accuracy (1-2 minutes a day).

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I don't know what the heck that is, but it is interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts