WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Mother in law passed a couple watches to me for comment - I haven't any idea about pocket watches, so I took a couple snaps and thought I'd see if anyone can tell me anything about these watches at all - any info would be appreciated.

Here's the first one -

A fairly ornate case....

and when opened, here's what she looks like....

Here's the second one....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Best, John

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
No comments on the first, but the second one is a Waltham hunter-case stemwinder. If you can open the caseback on the other side of that watch, there ought to be a serial number engraved on the movement. If you can get it for us, we'll be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The Ginsberg looks like a modern Swiss pocket watch - possibly a Unitas 6498. The Waltham hunter is definitely identifiable with the movement serial number, as Shangas has already pointed out. I'd guess from its style around 1900 but we can do much better than that.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The Waltham looks to be in good condition. No chips or cracks or scratches on the dial or crystal. I wonder what the rest of the case looks like?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,432 Posts
The Ginsberg looks like a modern Swiss pocket watch - possibly a Unitas 6498. The Waltham hunter is definitely identifiable with the movement serial number, as Shangas has already pointed out. I'd guess from its style around 1900 but we can do much better than that.
The sub-dial looks pretty close to the centre on the Ginsberg. I'd guess a wristwatch movement. It certainly looks fairly modern to me. 1970s, maybe even early 1980s.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,420 Posts
Dunno about the movement (how big is the watch itself?!) but it is definitely late seventies. It has Incabloc shock proofing (printed on the dial) and was awarded in 1977 (inscription on inside of the case).

Hartmut Richter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts