WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make out what it says. "Jules Robert" Some times it looks like "Jules Hoeeet"?

1275 is the serial number I guess.

I sometimes see a movement that looks like this one online and it always say says Chinese.

but it also says Chaux-de-Fonds , so its made by the swiss for the chinese market place?

Ill probably just sell on ebay, saw one that looked very much like it but had hands and crystal went for $400.

Any info would be great thankgs!

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hello there ! Would you be able to see if this watch has a duplex escapement ?

It looks a lot like chinese market watches indeed, made in the early 1800s, with its extensively decorated Lepine style caliber with hanging barrel (which seems to miss its stopwork). I'm pretty sure this watch had center seconds too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry, i don't know enough to tell if is duplex escapement. It's all very fascinating, and it's very nice to look at.

I thought for sure someone would know the last name of Jules on the text printed and that would lead me to the info i seek.

Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Name on movement and dial: Jules Robert, location: Chaud-de-Fonds (Switzerland). Several watchmakers from that area in Switzerland pop up (most likely from the same family). Unfortunately, I can't say much about the age of the watch (at least not precise enough) to say which one it is.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,169 Posts
It's got all the visible features of a watch designed for the Chinese market. Note also that it is designed for a directly-driven sweep second hand, which is always found with the Chinese Duplex escapement.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Name on movement and dial: Jules Robert, location: Chaud-de-Fonds (Switzerland). Several watchmakers from that area in Switzerland pop up (most likely from the same family). Unfortunately, I can't say much about the age of the watch (at least not precise enough) to say which one it is.
With all due respect, it’s (la) Chaux-de-Fonds. The town was into watchmaking since the 18th Century. From what I gather, the dozens of manufacturers originating from that town are no more kin than all the brands born in Le Locle, or Geneva. Why would you want everyone living in mountain areas to be consanguineous? Simply, one tends to manufacture where there are ready suppliers of parts, and skilled workers.

Just a shortlist of the most renowned brands founded in La Chaux-de-Fonds :

Ebel
Enicar
Festina
Gallet
Girard-Perregaux
Jaquet Droz
Movado
Vulcain
Zeno

If inbred, these would be quite prolific genes!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
With all due respect, it’s (la) Chaux-de-Fonds. The town was into watchmaking since the 18th Century. From what I gather, the dozens of manufacturers originating from that town are no more kin than all the brands born in Le Locle, or Geneva. Why would you want everyone living in mountain areas to be consanguineous? Simply, one tends to manufacture where there are ready suppliers of parts, and skilled workers.

Just a shortlist of the most renowned brands founded in La Chaux-de-Fonds :

Ebel
Enicar
Festina
Gallet
Girard-Perregaux
Jaquet Droz
Movado
Vulcain
Zeno

If inbred, these would be quite prolific genes!
Thanks for your correction! I used to work in Switzerland and this was a typo. Of course, it's (La) Chaux-de-Fonds. This city and the neighboring town Le Locle are UNESCO world heritage sites, not mainly for the watch industry, but for their unique architecture and structures around the watch industry. Last year, I was in Le Locle and slept in the old seat of Dubois (Maison Dubois, now a bed-and-breakfast hotel) the oldest Swiss watch factory in Switzerland.

At a time, 50% of the world watch production came from these two locations. With a large watch industry also in the bordering region of France, with families and individuals working on both sides, it's difficult to pin down individual names of watchmakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts