WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yard sale pickup. I would appreciate any information on the movement and even an approximate date. Not sure if R 6 on caseback means anything. I know Croton doesn't hold too much cache, but watch is in great shape, quite attractive and keeps near perfect time~ 2 sec per day. Cost of a double cappuccino.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you WB. Still wondering whether the 6R on caseback is a date code? ie something similar to Bulova type date codes.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Movement info? Here you go:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 2451

It's the 11.5 ''' ETA 2451, most likely. It depends on the diameter- if it's a 10.5''' size, then it'd be the 2450.
I'd bet that a picture with the rotor in a different position would show a covered balance cock, with an aperture through which the shock device can be seen. Am I right?

Reactions: Giotime

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mkws! Exactly right. Clearly marked under the balance 2451. Interestingly I have a Tudor from 1959 with the same ETA only with 25 jewels.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks mkws! Exactly right. Clearly marked under the balance 2451. Interestingly I have a Tudor from 1959 with the same ETA only with 25 jewels.
Thanks for the pics. I have the same watch but with a much lower serial. Serial 37913 with the 6R under it. I dont think the 6R is a date code since these two are so far apart. It never had
the original bracelet so its nice to see your pics and know what originally came on it. I picked mine up for about $30. I just cracked mine open for a movement shot. Looks like it needs a good case cleaning and a new gasket ; )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What is the significance of the 2 screws in the center of the oscillating weight on my movement? I noticed the OP's movement doesn't have them..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Offr. Sorry don't have any idea about the screws. And I also don't know if my band is original to the watch. It is a west German made Cadman stainless steel band.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for the info on the bracelet, its a good match to the pattern on the dial. Figured out the movement is a 1700/01. Looks like they used a few different movements over the years in the same pattern watches

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,450 Posts
The two movements are entirely different. The first has an ETA 2451 (as already established), the second has an Adolf Schild (i.e. not ETA) Cal. AS 1700/01. THe AS 1700 is without date, the AS 1701 has a date feature. They are both signed in the same way.

As for the screws, the ETA 2451 also has them - but on the underside of the rotor. The screws just hold down the rotor on the pin fitting (neither movement has a ball bearing). You undo those to get the rotor off during servicing. For some reason, the ETA movement works differently: you have to take the entire automatic bridge off, turn it upside down and you can then get at the screws to take the rotor off. The ETA movement was known for being quite space efficient - ca. 70% of the (thin) cylinder shape (height x cross sectional area) being filled with material. Having said that, one would expect it to be quite slim but at 5.3mm movement height, it wasn't really that at all. Maybe they used the efficiency to pack in more material (make it more robust rather than slim).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
752 Posts
The 6R is the watch model indication number. Each model of Croton starting in the 1950's had this code. I do not have a catalog for the 1960's, but it would correspond somewhere in between the Aquamatic line and the Antarctic lines.
Here is one of my 6R's......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I have a Croton unadjusted seven 7 jewels serial number 66352 10k plated Ladifair pat pending bracelet style watch.. please help determine value, thank you!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,450 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. I'm sorry but we don't give valuations in this forum - there is a sticky as to why. In case you want confirmation of Watchbreath's assessment, go to eBay, search for gold plated vintage ladies watches (any brand except the very famous) - completed auctions only - and see what they disappear for. You may well be unpleasantly surprised.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts