WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new here and I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section.

I have a bunch of watches that were handed down to me a few years ago. I have never really been too interested in them but my interest has grown as of late.
I would love to know if any of you wise people could help me identify and appraise the watches. I will give the brand name, model and ref number where available of each as well as some pictures. I have searched on Google for them but not all of them come up.

Please let me know if you can help out.
TIA

Watch 1:
Brand: Ernest Borel
Model: ?
Ref: ?

Watch 2
Brand: Omega
Model: Constellation
Ref: 167.015

Watch 3
Brand: Tudor
Model: Oyster Prince
Ref: 7909

Watch 4
Brand: Dogma Prima
Model: Ancre 15 Rubis, Anti Magnetic?
Ref: 711835

Watch 5
Brand: Delfin
Model: Hydromatic
Ref: 968740

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Hi,

nice collection!
Omega and Tudor deserve a service. Borel and Dogma could cover service costs if sold just because they are solid gold.
For more info movement photos are needed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

nice collection!
Omega and Tudor deserve a service. Borel and Dogma could cover service costs if sold just because they are solid gold.
For more info movement photos are needed
Thanks for the info.

I am new to this so I am not sure how to open them to get to the movements. Is it something I can do or do I have to take them to a jeweller?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I managed to get the Ernest Borel open without tools but I assume the other will need special tools to get in.
The Dogma, just had the solid gold cover over the back but it never got me to the movement. I assume the crown will need to be removed but I dont want to fiddle in case I break something. See the below images and let me know your thoughts 20190715_121110.jpg
Rear of the Dogma
20190715_121922.jpg
Ernest Borel Movement
20190715_121953.jpg
Ernest Borel Cover

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
If you read the forum guidelines, you will see that valuations are frowned upon in the forum. As mentioned above, the Omega and Tudor are more collectible than the others, but they will all sell if you put them on eBay in auctions, which is what you should do if you are not knowledgable. If you are looking for value, use the eBay advanced search function to find recent sales of similar watches in similar value.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's just a movement caliber :) Good swiss movement
Great. Thanks, this is good to know. Its amazing that these are anywhere from 80 to 50 years old and they still work perfectly. I have since contacted a watch restorer and will try get them restored over time. Thanks again for all the info

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Great. Thanks, this is good to know. Its amazing that these are anywhere from 80 to 50 years old and they still work perfectly. I have since contacted a watch restorer and will try get them restored over time. Thanks again for all the info
That's good to hear they are going for a refreshment :) Until then it is better to not wind the movements, they got gunky over the years

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you read the forum guidelines, you will see that valuations are frowned upon in the forum. As mentioned above, the Omega and Tudor are more collectible than the others, but they will all sell if you put them on eBay in auctions, which is what you should do if you are not knowledgable. If you are looking for value, use the eBay advanced search function to find recent sales of similar watches in similar value.
Apologies for asking for a value but after searching through Ebay, I was not able to find the exact models of any of the watches, hence the post here. The Ernest Borel is the biggest mystery as there are none with the same design on the face if I search the internet. I am just trying to find out if it was a custom design (if thats even possible) or if it was a standard design. Does anyone know where I could find out?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
The engraving on Ernest Borel dial is definitely a custom work, some emblem. As it's dedication piece, it's probably of a place where it was given for 25 years of work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is a factory thing, then its quite amazing. I am all the way from South Africa, and this watch was given to my great grandfather in the 1940's, in South Africa.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts