WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I know nothing about vintage watches. I typically hang out on the dive watch forum and the affordable forum. A friend of mine brought me a vintage Timex that belonged to his Grandfather. He said his grandfather past away in 1967 and this watch had been locked away pretty much since then. Amazingly, the watch began to run after a quick wind. The only engraving on the case back is "US Time" along with a serial number of A-0325. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I can't say for certain but that may be a very early Timex military and it may have a very rare jewelled movement. If I'm correct on either point it's a very nice keeper. Find out if it's jeweled, a movement shot would be great to see.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't say for certain but that may be a very early Timex military and it may have a very rare jewelled movement. If I'm correct on either point it's a very nice keeper. Find out if it's jeweled, a movement shot would be great to see.

Peace,
Preston

Thanks for the quick response. I'll remove the caseback tomorrow and post a shot. He wants to clean it up and replace the leather strap so his wife can wear it, however I am going to advise him to let it stay as is for now. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Timex was previously called US Time before changing its name. You can still see this on some of the older model case backs like yours. Sometimes there is an ink stamped date code inside the case back but being ink it sometimes gets cleaned off. See if yours has a stamp on the back cover.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timex was previously called US Time before changing its name. You can still see this on some of the older model case backs like yours. Sometimes there is an ink stamped date code inside the case back but being ink it sometimes gets cleaned off. See if yours has a stamp on the back cover.

Nothing there. The only other markings I could find were "Made in USA" under the 6 o'clock position on the dial. Thanks for the tip though. It was worth looking.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Nothing there. The only other markings I could find were "Made in USA" under the 6 o'clock position on the dial. Thanks for the tip though. It was worth looking.
Yeah after many years they don't usually last. There are other forum members who know their Timexes quite well and could probably give you some hints as to model and date.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Some additional info, your watch has a Timex model 21 movement. These were used in the 50s and we're replaced by the model 22 in 1960. This puts your watch in the 1950s.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some additional info, your watch has a Timex model 21 movement. These were used in the 50s and we're replaced by the model 22 in 1960. This puts your watch in the 1950s.

Thanks for the info! It's amazing that it's still working after all these years, especially being in a box for over 40 years.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Oh that's a beauty, servicing the movement will be a cinch on that. The strap can be saved as well as it looks intact, treat it with leather cleaner and conditioner and it'll come right back. Also polish the crystal with zyxx or some other plastic polish product, I do my crystal with a four stage wet sanding process that takes all the deep scratches out and brings it back to a glass smooth finish if you choose to. Don't see any corrosion on the case so that should clean up nicely as well.

Would love to see after pics, that's a nice little watch you have there.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I will definitely post pictures after I clean it up. I'll take some more pictures now and maybe do a "before and after" comparison.

Cheers!
Scott

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
I have recently learned that the last two numbers stamped on the back of a Timex watch when reversed, reveal the date of the watch, making yours from 1952.

Also, if the movement is a brass one these were the cal. 21 and was produced between the years 1950 and 1954, further adding to your watches date.
Between 1950 and 1962, some were stamped with an ink date inside, then was replaced with a dial mark between 1963 and 1983.
Thanks to Jersey Mo for this info.

Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks so much for the information. I haven't started restoring it yet, but I will post some photos when I'm done. Again, the movement hasn't missed a beat and is running quite well considering it's been in a box for 40 years. Nonetheless, I'm going to get it serviced. As for the leather, I may have to replace it. I don't think it can be saved.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts