WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My latest arrival dropped softly onto my door mat today.
It`s my first Patria brand watch and looks to date from around the late 1920`s to mid `30`s I think.
Patria was one of the early brands (like Helvetia ) of the General Watch Company before they launched the Omega brand.
ebay1.jpg IMG_20180306_214842072.jpg rear view.jpg

This decent example is in a "pur nickel" case and in pretty decent condition overall but will get a service at some point as it seems to have been a bit over oiled and the movement looks a bit dirty .One side of a lug needs soldering/repair.
Seems to be keeping reasonable time at the moment as I`ve tweaked the regulator since the photo was taken.
movement 1.jpg movement 2.jpg

I have no idea which movement it has though as the only marking I can see is a single 2 under the balance with no intials or marks.
I`ve read that Patria did produce some of their own movents but as there is no name on the bridges (or jewel count mentioned ) I`m wondering if it may be a movement produced by G.W.C. and used in a few of their brands.
I`ve had a quick look on Dr.Ranftt`s site but I found no Patria movements listed.
I did notice what to me looked like a slightly unusual click on this movement though -just one tooth (nothing appears broken and the watch winds and sets with no problems )
click.jpg

I`m only a novice though so I`m hoping some of you may be able to come up with a few ideas.
Thanks in advance

Your call is important to us -Please call back :0)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bump for my first post which now has pictures to hopefully help gain the info.. site was saying my pics was over 300GB too big!! -weird

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that lead James..I`ll do a bit more investigating.
I can`t seem to find a great deal about Patria on the web so far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you know how to remove the dial then you may find some markings there. I have a couple of watches from that era that have no visible markings on the movement but they are on the dial side of the movement.
A Schild is a good bet. Will be marked 'AS xxx'.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
FWIW, Patria - along with Helvetia - were founded by Louis Brandt & Frere, i.e. Omega. However, at some point, both have separated from the Brandt holding. In case of Patria, that would have probably been shortly after World War I - not sure, though. During the war, they have used Omega movements (12''' derivatives of the cal. 19''') every now and then, at least as far as I know, so it can be assumed, that during the war they still have belonged to Omega.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys.
The watch is now with my local watchmaker for the lug repair .
It will join the queue for a service at some point and that should uncover the actual calibre hopefully- and maybe a more accurate date range for the watch.
I`d like to get a nice reasonably priced strap for it too ..maybe what I think is sometimes called a pilot/aviator style the the popper/ stud fixings for fixed lugs but without a back pad -if anyone can suggest a good seller I`d be grateful.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,210 Posts
...I`d like to get a nice reasonably priced strap for it too ..maybe what I think is sometimes called a pilot/aviator style the the popper/ stud fixings for fixed lugs but without a back pad -if anyone can suggest a good seller I`d be grateful.
...or you could just go with a conventional open-ended strap, e.g.
https://www.hirschstraps.com/collections/open-ended-hirsch-straps

Here's an old thread about such things:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/joys-vintage-open-ended-straps-603732.html
(I apologise on behalf of Photobucket for the lack of photos)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts