WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The module is fine but the other day I got my 5600bc caught and I snapped the spring bar and created kind of a channel where the spring bar made a groove in the plastic. Is there anywhere I can go or send the watch to to get it fixed? I can try to take a pic of the damage if that helps. 1036e340.jpg Thanks.

·
Banned
580 Posts
This is just another reason why I wish that Casio still made all 5600's in stainless steel. The holes where the spring bars go into can stretch and open easily just like yours did if the watch gets caught on anything. I don't really think that there's any way to fix the spring bar holes once they get stretched like this. You will need to order a brand new resin watch case and transfer the module that's in yours into it.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I think people have successfully repaired such damage. Glue or maybe casting resin might work - after all that's very similar to the original material. I'd try filling the hole and the scratch and after it hardened drilling a new hole for the springbar - might work. I hope somebody who has already done something similar will have some useful advice.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I think people have successfully repaired such damage. Glue or maybe casting resin might work - after all that's very similar to the original material. I'd try filling the hole and the scratch and after it hardened drilling a new hole for the springbar - might work. I hope somebody who has already done something similar will have some useful advice.

I have done similar repairs with epoxy. Fill and then redrill. It was not even noticable.
Give it a try you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies but I don't think Im skilled enough to fix it. I can't even locate a new spring bar to replace the bent one.

Im very surprised at how easily this broke and can't say I'm not disappointed in Casio.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
When I time adjusted my GW-M5600BC, I was able to get the bracelet off with no trouble at all. I took it off just one side, to simplify the process.

When I then went to re-attach the bracelet, I was frustrated to no end trying to get the spring bar back into place. It's because the end piece of the bracelet is made of a very hard plastic, not a pliable resin. Eventually I got it back in place, but I noticed that in the process that the hard resin lugs got a little gouged. So... I'm not really surprised to hear of your issue. It really sucks that the channel is so deep that the spring bar won't stay in place.

The resin has a very slightly oily surface, which makes it more difficult to get a glue to adhere. However, a "channel" should be fairly easy to fill and have a better chance at sticking in place. I agree that an Epoxy glue is likely a good repair material that is easily found. Make sure you have a magnifying glass and a tooth pick to use as an application tool.

There are some other adhesives that could work even better. There's a kind of "plummer's cement" that is supposed to be really good at hardening very tough. Personally, I heartily recommend Marine-Tex. This is the best stuff on Earth for repairs that require more filling-in over simple adhesion. It adheres to virtually anything and can be sanded/smoothed afterward. I recently used it to repair a plastic terminal cup for a speaker, where one terminal completely broke through and it worked like a charm--the terminal is solid in place, even better than as new (no flex at all).

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
One other thing, if you have another Casio watch with the same lug gap laying around that you don't wear much, you can borrow the spring bar from it.

You can easily obtain spring bars from any local watch repair store or jeweler that services watches. Also, You can also get spring bars on-line from places like eBay and even Casio parts. Be aware that some sellers over charge for them, and you can sometimes get a batch for a very good price. I had to replace a few spring bars on a few watches of different sizes, so I bought a small mini kit of spring bars and bracelet link pins. It was something like $5 shipped (from China of course) and the quality seems very comparable to my previously installed spring bars.

·
Registered
639 Posts
What about using spring bars with longer ends (just enough overall extra length to cover the depth of the groove)? If needed, you can heat the head of a pin to lengthen the spring bar holes to accommodate the longer tipped bars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I took the watch to a repair shop and for $7 she is as good as new. I still love the watch but I think my next digi will be a Suunto.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
It's a pity that Casio has no all-steel digital watch in their current line-up (and I don't mean screwback Gs - but that would be a possible alternative of course). I had to resort to ordering a Pulsar to get an all-steel digital (still hasn't reached me yet however and I'm getting kind of nervous as to where my package might be :-().

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Now that is a tough question :-d. The Suunto is a very fine watch - much better when it comes to ABC-functionality than a Casio. Still - my current favourite is the W-S220 - and my all-time favourite digitals are all Casios. But I got a Pulsar PQ2003 incoming like I said, that looks very promising - there's a youtube video:

All steel construction and the user interface makes a Casio look really old-school - I wonder how it will stand up in everyday use against my Casios.
Right now if I could have only one it'd probably be the W-S220 or a G-7710, maybe also a G-7900 or G-8000. The X-Lander is great but it also lacks in some aspects - the alarms are too soft and not long enough - countdown-timer only beeps for 3 sec. And while the menu is well-designed to make the many features easy to use it's still not as intuitive as a standard Casio.

I will make a review on the Pulsar once I get it - I hope it'll arrive in the next days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like that Pulsar.

I'm getting more into digi watches now and I dont really know why. I have some nice watches such as Panerai, Rolex, and Cartier but I'm only now wearing them on weekends on a rotating basis. I wear my G shocks and Orange Monster during the week and really dont see myself buying any more very expensive watches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts