WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am not hugely into vintage watches, but I have recently come into possession of my late uncle's Omega Seamaster - his sons had it for the longest time but weren't restoring it, so I decided to take action. I'm hoping to get some help with determining the year of production, as well as well as some clarity regarding the unique dial.

Based on the information found when we opened the caseback, it has a serial number of 15475169, the movement is Cal. 471 and the model reference is 2828. Based on this, does anyone know the year of production or how to determine this? Also, while the inside of the caseback indicates it is a 2828, the dial has a crosshair on it, something which I can't seem to find on many other Seamaster 2828 references. Were any 2828 references produced like this? Or is there a chance that the dial was modified at some point?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Looks nice! A new crystal and a service and you have a very nice watch.
My sentiments exactly,

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: Statick

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the help, gents. I've had a local &trusted watchmaker take a look at it and will be having the movementserviced, crystal & crown replaced (as the latter is certainly notoriginal), and the case & bracelet ultrasonically cleaned. I've alsoemailed Omega to see if they can offer any insight. Any further thoughts areencouraged and most certainly welcome.

A bit of background on the watch and the original owner... My mother's secondeldest brother received this on his wedding day, which, despite the age of thewatch, was in the mid-1960s. For the next 40 years, he would wear it daily; itserved him well as an engineer at the busiest shipyard in Karachi. He did havethe watch serviced a few times in this period, that’s where the incorrect crownwas likely applied. In the mid-2000s, his sons bought him a few newer watchesand he started to use them; the Seamaster then started seeing less and less useuntil it went into storage. About a year and a half ago, the fine gentlemanpassed away peacefully in his sleep. He was much-loved by all of his immediate &extended family, we was well-respected in his field, and above all else, heexuded the virtue of humility.

As I mentioned in the original post, his sons have hadthe watch for some time but weren’t sure on how to approach the restoration andwere also not really getting around to it. With a lot of migration thathappened in my extended family, particularly my parents’ generation, we don’thave many family heirlooms. This one should be a great start.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the help, gents. I've had a local &trusted watchmaker take a look at it and will be having the movementserviced, crystal & crown replaced (as the latter is certainly notoriginal), and the case & bracelet ultrasonically cleaned. I've alsoemailed Omega to see if they can offer any insight. Any further thoughts areencouraged and most certainly welcome.

A bit of background on the watch and the original owner... My mother's secondeldest brother received this on his wedding day, which, despite the age of thewatch, was in the mid-1960s. For the next 40 years, he would wear it daily; itserved him well as an engineer at the busiest shipyard in Karachi. He did havethe watch serviced a few times in this period, that’s where the incorrect crownwas likely applied. In the mid-2000s, his sons bought him a few newer watchesand he started to use them; the Seamaster then started seeing less and less useuntil it went into storage. About a year and a half ago, the fine gentlemanpassed away peacefully in his sleep. He was much-loved by all of his immediate &extended family, we was well-respected in his field, and above all else, heexuded the virtue of humility.

As I mentioned in the original post, his sons have hadthe watch for some time but weren’t sure on how to approach the restoration andwere also not really getting around to it. With a lot of migration thathappened in my extended family, particularly my parents’ generation, we don’thave many family heirlooms. This one should be a great start.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
It should be a lovely heirloom when serviced, one thing, have the case and bracelet cleaned by all means but please don't let anyone polish it, it would ruin a very good watch.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's in great condition, a clean and service will do wonders. If it was up to me I'd replace the crystal, but not the crown.

The back looks in great condition, my only question on the dial is the font used for "Seamaster" the later examples like mine and v8chrono's are slightly different but they're also produced after yours (mine is a 1639xxxx serial cal. 471, so 1958).

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
A simple service is all it needs, seeing you are in Canada I would send it to Al of Archer watch repairs ArcherWatches.ca he as a great reputation in the watch community esp Omega forum he will do the work that only needs, he may charge more then other local guys but you are having someone with an account with Omega with years of knowledge. I am sure he will be busy but I would wait.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
A simple service is all it needs, seeing you are in Canada I would send it to Al of Archer watch repairs ArcherWatches.ca he as a great reputation in the watch community esp Omega forum he will do the work that only needs, he may charge more then other local guys but you are having someone with an account with Omega with years of knowledge. I am sure he will be busy but I would wait.
Hi Joe,

I recently contacted AI and he was not taking work at the moment - too busy with the backlog!! That said, as we are in the Uk, it may have been more hassle than someone more local!

But as you say... could be worth the wait!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Sparctser not been in this forum for awhile hope you are ok and have you all those trench watches ?
Cutting down and consolidating... having 20+ trench watches led to a ever constant service cycle... 3 or 4 choice ones remain! Actual bought a few Omegas (new/old) with the money made from sales... hope all is good with you and I can see the forum is still ticking along nicely!!

Reactions: busmatt

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
May I advise Bob Ridley, he is in the US but does a very good job.

Reactions: Statick and busmatt

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's in great condition, a clean and service will do wonders. If it was up to me I'd replace the crystal, but not the crown.

The back looks in great condition, my only question on the dial is the font used for "Seamaster" the later examples like mine and v8chrono's are slightly different but they're also produced after yours (mine is a 1639xxxx serial cal. 471, so 1958).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I would certainly keep the crown if it were original, but it is not even an Omega crown. I guess back then some variety in fonts may have been a bit normal. I'll poke around on this.

It should be a lovely heirloom when serviced, one thing, have the case and bracelet cleaned by all means but please don't let anyone polish it, it would ruin a very good watch.

Matt
Absolutely. I don't dabble much in vintage, but I do know that!

Joe, Sparcster & everyone else, my first choice was definitely Al, but I've been in touch with him and have heard the same, that he can't currently take this on. The fellow who will be doing it is an experienced and passionate watchmaker with lots of vintage experience, so I'm happy enough.

And alas, the folks at Omega weren't really too helpful. They offered to attempt to provide an extract from their archives for $155 CAD plus shipping and tax, but not much else.

I'll keep you all apprised as to when it goes in for restoration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts