WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. Picked up a new gw6900-1 and love the watch, had a couple of other G's years ago. My question is when I do a manual sync with the atomic function and I see L3 indicating a good signal, the rcvd flashes for a couple of minutes then beep and I get this: err 12-11
00:05

I believe this means that it last synced on 12-11-13. Then I let I sit by the window last night and it should have auto updated starting a midnight ( auto update is turned on). I have tried this in the house by a window and outside. I am in Plymouth mi. And I know the single is coming from Fort Collins Colorado.

what if anything am I doing wrong?

if it last updated on 12-11-13 it would have been in the store where I got it

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
There's a bunch of recent threads that address sync in N. America. Basically best radio reception well after sunset. Get away from other radios, routers, computers, etc.

I wait until just after midnight. Experiment with different window locations and once you see L3, don't touch or move the watch for a few minutes until it completes the sync.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
A big 'thumbs up" to everything yankeexpress said! :-!

In addition:

There's a bunch of recent threads that address sync in N. America.
Here are the most recent three -- from three weeks ago: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/auto-receive-gw6900-1-a-948238.html

Two weeks ago: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/i-can-never-get-waveceptor-sync-949831.html

One week ago: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/my-first-g-shock-954555.html

If you read/skim them in order, you'll see that each references the one(s) before it -- it's a common problem for people who keep "normal" first shift type hours, but that's why Casio (generally) designed their watches to auto-synch between midnight and 5 AM when the signal is easiest to receive. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I will keep try different windows around the house and let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tried very hard for about 2 days to get my GW6900 to sync manually, doing everything I could think of or read about. I couldn't seem to find a good signal anywhere I went. Eventually I sort of gave up and decided it wasn't worth stressing over but was disappointed. That night I got a sync at 2 or 3am, the watch had just been left on my desk, not near a window or anything like that, no witchcraft involved. It does seem that the atomic models scan be finicky about syncs but if you just let it do it's thing and check it every day I'm willing to bet it just starts doing it. Maybe not every night but even once every few weeks should be enough to keep super accurate time.

Congrats on the watch, too. It's a good one!

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
Believe or not, all of my atomic's sync facing east in my home office on the shelf below my desk next to my case with all my other G's. Crazy isn't it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mine sync'd at noon (manually) in a north-facing window the first time I tried (just south of Kansas City, Missouri, USA).

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Mine sync'd at noon (manually) in a north-facing window the first time I tried (just south of Kansas City, Missouri, USA).
Congratulations -- I suspect that your experience might be the exception rather than the rule, though.

At "only" 565 miles, I think you're a lot closer to Ft. Collins than a lot of us who haven't had much luck with daytime synchs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finely got it to sync this morning at 4 min after midnight. I was pretty sure I had the auto - sync turned on but checked anyway and low and behold it was off, turned it on and placed it in a west facing window and when I grabbed it this morning the rcvd symbol was there.

Thanks for all the comments and help

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Good deal, and glad to hear that everything worked as it should have! :-!

As long as you leave it on "auto" it will probably continue to receive every night at 12:04 -- the new question becomes "will you have to keep putting it in the same window, or will it receive in other locations in the house?" My bedroom in Oho has windows facing south and west and all of my atomics receive successfully every night, whether they're across the room from the window or on my wrist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Out of town for a few day in three rivers mi about 150 west of home. I will see if it works in the hotel sitting on the nightstand. Keep you updated.

How much does it drain the battery syncing every night?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
How much does it drain the battery syncing every night?
I'm not sure, but apparently it drains enough that Casio no longer offers it on non-solar models, as they did in the past. These days, if a watch has the "atomic synch" feature, it also has "solar."

On the other hand, as I've mentioned in other threads, I try to keep my solars on "High" going into October here in Ohio, where they won't see much sunshine for several months. Auto synch is on, Auto EL is off, hourly charm is on, power saving mode is off, and quite a few will stay on "High" until spring -- a few others will drop to "Medium" but bounce back to (and stay on) "High" after a short January or February day of sunshine.

That tells me that nightly synching really is not draining THAT much! :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Congratulations -- I suspect that your experience might be the exception rather than the rule, though.

At "only" 565 miles, I think you're a lot closer to Ft. Collins than a lot of us who haven't had much luck with daytime synchs.
Yeah, but...it also sync'd Xmas morning, in the tin, wrapped, and under the tree on the floor away from a window. :-d

As a test, I left it face-down on my lap-top keyboard last night, as a torture test. It didn't sync. :roll:

It did sync manually, on my wrist, later the same day at 6:41 AM. Tonight I'll leave it in the watch-box, and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woke up just before 2 am with it on my wrist in the hotel and it hadn't synced. Placed it on the window sill and it synced at 4:04 am. Didn't think it would since the hotel is mostly concrete.

Overall I am very happy with this watch. Started looking at what to get next, maybe a green range man with negative display.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yeah, but...it also sync'd Xmas morning, in the tin, wrapped, and under the tree on the floor away from a window. :-d
Wow! First of all, that's amazing -- but at the same time you're definitely a LOT closer to the Ft. Collins signal than most of us are. As this population density map shows, 90% of the US lives AT LEAST twice as far away from the transmitter. (Ft. Collins is the western red "dot" on the map.)

pop density wus.JPG

As a test, I left it face-down on my lap-top keyboard last night, as a torture test. It didn't sync. :roll:
Too much electronic interference, is my guess, but I imagine it will receive just fine in the watch box. :)

Woke up just before 2 am with it on my wrist in the hotel and it hadn't synced. Placed it on the window sill and it synced at 4:04 am. Didn't think it would since the hotel is mostly concrete.

Overall I am very happy with this watch.
Glad to hear that it's still working as it should be! Even though the hotel is mostly concrete, the radio signal can still get in there -- it basically works like AM radio. It can be impossible to pick up in tunnels and under bridges, but for the most part it blankets the world fairly well at night!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts