WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find an original bracelet/strap to match my late 60s/early 70s Nivada Antarctic automatic diver wristwatch (see pics). Would the original have been a beaded stainless steel bracelet or something else? Right now it has a genetic stainless steel strap

Look forward to hearing what folks think.

many thanks,

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Wear parts are usually replaced in watches over the years. Bracelets are wear parts and over 50+ years have usually been replaced. The original OEM bracelets are rarely available and if they are, they often cost a significant portion of the cost of the watch.

Original advertisements are a good source of 'what was it originally' :)

There are a number of makers of new bracelets which may look a lot like the original. WUS has a forum dedicated to bracelets and straps. It has a comprehensive listing of suppliers. Checking there may find something similar... Attachment points (to the case) vary as do clasps. But you should be able to find something that is a good approximation to the original. (Personally I usually switch to straps...) Bon Chance!

·
Registered
257 Posts
if I were you I would fit a rally style strap. as Eeeb said original straps are not that easy to find. However I am sure you could get one custom made to replicate an original but I got a feeling might cost more than the watch itself.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Nivada used a lot of seven and/or three row NSA bracelets on their watches, including the Antarctic. I am not sure of the age, so I do not know which that one was likely to have. Three rows started showing up on Rados in around 1968. If your watch is older it would likely have been a seven row.

This is an NSA seven row:
20090101_06 by hankblanc, on Flickr

This is a two tone three row:
BDL2 by hankblanc, on Flickr

I prefer the look of the seven row in most cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts