WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys picked this up for $220. Caliber 500 Omega Automatic, 14k gold filled case. Sting ray leather band still in good condition. The amazing thing here is that it has an original untouched dial, original crystal w/ Omega logo in center, and an original crown. Only bad part from what I can tell is that it looks like the case has been polished quite a bit. For $220 what do you guys think? is it a keeper? The watch looks great on wrist and has grown on me a lot. Wish it was a Seamaster though!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Since pictures aren't working properly here is a link with the pictures.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/thoughts-on-this-omega-cal-500-overpolished-case-return.67525/

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
I think that the price generally reflects the condition. It's a high quality movement, and the watch definitely has some things in its favor. To get a similar Omega in better condition, you would generally need to pay more. So only you can decide if it's a keeper - and you seem to like it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with Dan. The condition reflects the price. The dial looks like some of the clear-coat is flaking off. I think the case looks fine. The crown, although it's an original Omega crown, would probably be from a different style watch (you know.. those Seamasters with the fat lugs). In regards to returning it.. I'd say no on principle. I'm not in the habit of returning something due to buyers remorse. Since you got it at a pawn shop, would they give you back what you paid for it?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Dan. The condition reflects the price. The dial looks like some of the clear-coat is flaking off. I think the case looks fine. The crown, although it's an original Omega crown, would probably be from a different style watch (you know.. those Seamasters with the fat lugs). In regards to returning it.. I'd say no on principle. I'm not in the habit of returning something due to buyers remorse. Since you got it at a pawn shop, would they give you back what you paid for it?
Yes, the pawn shop is a chain and they have a 7 day money back policy for any reason at all. Will the clear coat begin to flake off even more? Or only if someone messes with it? I'm leaning towards keeping the watch based purely off of condition and the fact I like it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Spartcom5...I'll go first today: this dial REALLY looks like a re-do to me! The font seems wrong / the printing looks a bit uneven (note that the bottom of the "O" does not align with the bottom of the "M" ) / and it simply does not look original to me.

For what it's worth, I own Omega's & have enjoyed working on them, and boldly assume (!) that I have a decent chance of recognizing a re-dial...note, tho: this is my opinion!

This said, the movement looks really sharp.

Decisions, decisions...! Michael.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Over polished case or possible redial aside, I think $220 is a good price for a smart 1950s Omega that could/should cost you a lot more.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I say keep it and I dont think its a redial although im far from expert. I always go by completed autcion prices and you wouldnt be able to get one on ebay auction for anywhere near as cheap as that in comparable condition. The case does not look "overpolished" to me it just looks like normal wear to the gold plating and not bad at that.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Spartcom5...I'll go first today: this dial REALLY looks like a re-do to me! The font seems wrong / the printing looks a bit uneven (note that the bottom of the "O" does not align with the bottom of the "M" ) / and it simply does not look original to me.
It is not a repainted dial, but then again, it isn't completely correct.

It is a period-incorrect dial, as the font used is from the late 1960s, and the movement serial dates the watch to 1955.

The bottom of the O doesn't align with the bottom of the M, because that's the way it's supposed to be. For example, look at the font used on the Speedmaster 145.022-69.

The font, the minute track alignment, the finishing - they're way above what bloody good redials have to offer.

That said, I believe the dial is a 1960s/1970s service replacement.

Reactions: Dan S

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The differences between Original / Redial can be difficult to tell. For me--having worked on a few Omega's & seen what the dials are like, about all I can say here is that, having the experience of seeing an Original up close 'n personal, you get a notion of the differences between the two...this doesn't guarantee an opinion, but it helps. Michael.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know how these compared to Seamasters at the time? Were these cheaper retail price? Any info on this matter?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Does anyone know how these compared to Seamasters at the time? Were these cheaper retail price? Any info on this matter?
it seems to me, you are looking for an excuse NOT to keep it... Impulse buy maybe?

I'd say you got a little more than your money's worth here. About $350 is average for Omega's in this condition and lack of service history.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it seems to me, you are looking for an excuse NOT to keep it... Impulse buy maybe?

I'd say you got a little more than your money's worth here. About $350 is average for Omega's in this condition and lack of service history.
Actually, I am genuinely interested in learning a little more about the history of the watch. I am keeping it 100% but I am curious as to what made a Seamaster a Seamaster. Was it just the caliber movement used? Was the cal 500 not used in Seamasters? Were Seamasters more expensive than just the regular automatics? So many questions lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts