WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is nothing particularly special about this movement, I would just be interested to know who made it.

The bottom plate is 42mm diameter, so it's about 18.6 lignes, which seems a funny size. I don't know whether movements were actually made in lignes, I would guess that they were probably made in metric sizes using millimetre tools and gauges, and then named to the nearest ligne out of convention?

Swiss lever escapement with cut bimetallic balance with timing screws and Breguet overcoil balance spring but no shock protection. Jewelled to the centre wheel. So it's quite nicely made, but it's the shape of that big bridge that holds the centre, third and fourth wheel that is most distinctive. It should be easy to identify from that but I don't recognise it - I don't have enough experience to just identify it by eye, I'm hoping someone here will.

Thanks for any help or comments!

Regards - David

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi David!

I´m sure, measured exactly it will have 41,9 mm, which is 18.75''', so not too funny. AFAIK those movements have been produced in large quantities as unsigned ebauches by miscellaneous smaller Swiss ebauche producers in the 1920s.
Here´s another example.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What gives?

Looks like the same movement with a replaced bridge...:think:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Re: What gives?

Looks like the same movement with a replaced bridge...:think:
Ah the beauty of Photo shop and the cloning tool.
I don't know who made this movement fo SS&co but it's a good
looking, well designed thing. If you post the dial side then somebody might
be able to identify it by the setting mechanism...the setting mechanism is the
finger print of a watch and is how they are ID'd in old parts books.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

Geez, you can't trust anything you see...even the shadows look right!

·
Registered
738 Posts

well, the ebay posting already has a dial side picture so no need for one. I wonder why David removed the S&co and Peerless marks on the picture?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Hi Guys,

Well it didn't take you long to blow my cover and spot that I had fairly crudely scrubbed off the S&Co and Peerless - my goodness you are sharp. I did this because I didn't want a string of replies telling me that it is an IWC movement, which it isn't, despite having those two stamps on it.

As I am sure you all know, S&Co and Peerless were trademarks registered by Stauffer Son & Co or Nicolet Fils and Co and were used on IWC movements imported by the London branch, Stauffer & Co. Some people think that S&Co and Peerless equates to IWC, which it doesn't. (There is even a person on eBay at the moment advertising watches marked SS&Co with the three triangles of the Stauffer Atlas factory calling them IWC! Caveat Emptor!!)

This movement is not an IWC, but it was clearly made for Stauffer & Co. and I just wondered if anyone could identify it. There was a picture of the dial side on the ebay listing, but here is (I hope) a better one.

Regards - David

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
??

Hi Guys, Well it didn't take you long to blow my cover and spot that I had fairly crudely scrubbed off the S&Co and Peerless - my goodness you are sharp. I did this because I didn't want a string of replies telling me that it is an IWC movement, which it isn't, despite having those two stamps on it.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself:

Occasionally I will take valuable time to try to assist someone with either historical information or a technical solution. This effort is predicated only on the assumption that they are sincere in their inquiry. Due to the anonymity of the web - this faith is a must. Omission is a threshold, commission is a purposeful step further.

pithy

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

Hi Guys,

Well it didn't take you long to blow my cover and spot that I had fairly crudely scrubbed off the S&Co and Peerless - my goodness you are sharp. I did this because I didn't want a string of replies telling me that it is an IWC movement, which it isn't, despite having those two stamps on it.

As I am sure you all know, S&Co and Peerless were trademarks registered by Stauffer Son & Co or Nicolet Fils and Co and were used on IWC movements imported by the London branch, Stauffer & Co. Some people think that S&Co and Peerless equates to IWC, which it doesn't. (There is even a person on eBay at the moment advertising watches marked SS&Co with the three triangles of the Stauffer Atlas factory calling them IWC! Caveat Emptor!!)

This movement is not an IWC, but it was clearly made for Stauffer & Co. and I just wondered if anyone could identify it. There was a picture of the dial side on the ebay listing, but here is (I hope) a better one.

Regards - David
David,

I've looked through my old books but no joy, if member 'the cellar' sees this then you
might get a result as this member seems to be able to I.D some fairly obscure cals.

Tis true that an Urban Myth exists that all Stauffers are I.W.C's and I've warned of this in the past also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Hi Radger,

Thanks for looking. I think I'll send it to The Cellar anyway, he's pretty hot on non-IWC Stauffer items.

Regards - David

PS: Sorry if I upset you Pithy, I was just trying to focus on the actual movement and not have the discussion distracted by the S&Co marks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts