WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, and the watch world in general, but I have decided to purchase an Omega Seamaster 300m. I've looked into new from an AD and pre-owned. The prices are obviously much better on the pre-owned market, but I am paranoid about potentially purchasing a fake.

I was hoping some of the experts on here could help me out. The seller provided a few different pictures in different lighting, so I might have went overboard by posting them all, but I thought more was probably better

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks good to me. I was comparing mine with your photos and everything checks out.

Yes. I was also paranoid about fake and ended up getting mine form an AD. Huge price difference.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
It's legit. And it looks like that watch is being sold by a Private Seller from Chrono24. Just keep in mind, whatever price you get it negotiated to, it's still an additional 5% on top because of the new dumb Chrono24 surcharge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's legit. And it looks like that watch is being sold by a Private Seller from Chrono24. Just keep in mind, whatever price you get it negotiated to, it's still an additional 5% on top because of the new dumb Chrono24 surcharge.
This one is one of the cheapest prices I've found for the black dial version, that's why it caught my attention. And it's also why it made me suspicious, oddly enough.

Is there any reason to not jump on this one and just buy new at this point? It seems to be barely used at all to me, but I thought someone with more discerning eyes might catch something that I didn't.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Is there any reason to not jump on this one and just buy new at this point? It seems to be barely used at all to me, but I thought someone with more discerning eyes might catch something that I didn't.
The price is within the market range for a used one, so nothing suspicious there. Light scratches are almost never picked up by smartphone cameras for some reason without flash, so the true condition is a little more difficult to ascertain. With the stupid Chrono24 buyer's fee, you're looking at $3832+shipping.

This is a Brand New one that's actually slightly cheaper than the Chrono24 one, but ships from outside the US:
$3,800 (may have ~$100 import duties) FS - BNIB Omega Seamaster 300 SMPc Black Diver Co-Axial Master Chronometer 210.30.42.20.01.001 | Omega Forums

If you want to keep funds in the US, I see several selling for around $4,200.
$4,269 Seamaster Diver 300 M Co-Axial Master Chronometer 42 mm Automatic Black Dial Steel Men's Watch
$4,200 Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Black Bracelet 210.30.42.20.01.001 – Chitown Watch
$4,250 fsot - Omega Seamaster 300 - Black - Wave Dial - 42mm - Master 8800 ( new / 2020 ) - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

All of the above sources include the factory warranty.

If you buy it from them, tell them a random cat from a watch forum referred you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price is within the market range for a used one, so nothing suspicious there. Light scratches are almost never picked up by smartphone cameras for some reason without flash, so the true condition is a little more difficult to ascertain. With the stupid Chrono24 buyer's fee, you're looking at $3832+shipping.

This is a Brand New one that's actually slightly cheaper than the Chrono24 one, but ships from outside the US:
$3,800 (may have ~$100 import duties) FS - BNIB Omega Seamaster 300 SMPc Black Diver Co-Axial Master Chronometer 210.30.42.20.01.001 | Omega Forums

If you want to keep funds in the US, I see several selling for around $4,200.
$4,269 Seamaster Diver 300 M Co-Axial Master Chronometer 42 mm Automatic Black Dial Steel Men's Watch
$4,200 Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Black Bracelet 210.30.42.20.01.001 – Chitown Watch
$4,250 fsot - Omega Seamaster 300 - Black - Wave Dial - 42mm - Master 8800 ( new / 2020 ) - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

All of the above sources include the factory warranty.

If you buy it from them, tell them a random cat from a watch forum referred you.
Oh, wow, thanks. I had not even heard of those websites.

Is Chitown Watch a gray market dealer of some kind? Or would that be like purchasing from an actual AD?

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Oh, wow, thanks. I had not even heard of those websites.

Is Chitown Watch a gray market dealer of some kind? Or would that be like purchasing from an actual AD?
Yes, a gray dealer. Like a middle man / reseller. The warranty card will probably be stamped by an official Omega AD from Europe. If you buy from them, just double check what you get is 100% brand new (long story from a past experience). If not, returns should be easy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've bought Omega from Chitownwatch and mdgrwl (Watch Exchange Co) with no problems . Mdgrwl is my go-to.

"Buy the seller."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have also bought from Watch Exchange Co. Easy transaction on a preowned Seamaster Planet Ocean. Watch was immaculate. Would recommend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying from Chitown Watches. After the Chrono24 fees the savings for going used ended up being about $300 dollars.

To me, that savings didn't seem worth the risk of the watch being in less than favorable condition.

Thanks for the help, everyone, especially 6R15. Those links you posted really opened up my options.

·
Registered
542 Posts
As a bit of a left field idea - if you’re worried about buying a fake, how do you feel about haggling?

Most Omega dealers will discount a watch in stock to sell it on.

I’ve had between 20-30% off on any new Omega I’ve bought, just by asking.

That may not get the prices even but the difference will be a lot less and perhaps that will be enough to pay for peace of mind?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts