WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a magnificient Delaurian strap for my SEAL Tactical. The strap is black with white stitching and very impressive. I wanted a tough strap for a tough watch.

I took the strap and the Seal to a local jeweller as I did not trust myself in changing the straps. This was last Friday, 1-12. There was no one in the store so the jeweller started attempting to change out the straps. After almost an hour of watching him struggle, he asked if I would leave the watch and strap and let him "think about it". He explained he was having difficulty with the thickness of the strap and could not get the pins through the strap. I reluctantly agreed and left.

I checked back with him today, 1-17, and he did not have my watch and strap finished. I was on my lunch hour and in a hurry so I left. I saw the watch and it appeared as though he had the strap without the buckle attached, but the strap with the buckle had the tube sticking about half way out of it.

Please share with me any experiences you have had and any solutions you have for mounting a thick strap on your Kobold of choice. I am guessing the opening in the strap will not accomodate the tube. How do you make the tube fit through the strap?

Or, is it the jeweller? This guy does a good job of repairing jewellery and sizing rings. Maybe he is not familiar with the set up of a Kobold.

I hope once the strap is on the watch it will not be difficult to change in the future. I want to purchase another Delaurian for my SOA. I guess I'll have to find another jeweller.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hmmm... I've never had any trouble installing my Black Widow on my SEAL. True, for the first strap change I took it to a jeweler's near my office, but that was because the locktite used on the screws made it impossible to remove the bracelet without a vise. Out of curiosity, did your Tactical come with that nifty little strap-changing tool that screws on to the end of the tube and allows you to thread it through the strap? I find it to be invaluable when changing between the bracelet/NATO/Delaurian on my SEAL.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I have a small pin like object that is labeled "feeder tool". Is that what you are talking about? I see how one end has grooves so it can be screwed into the tube. I bet this is the answer to my problems. Boy, do I feel dumb.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yup, that could be it. Give it a shot and let us know how you fare.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
That's the thing you need. The thing with the black Widow strap is that it is very thick, to the tube portion tends to catch the rough inside portion of the strap. Once it is one there the first time, it will be easy to do, without the need for the tool.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Oh man--you had the feeder tool and didn't try it yet?! b-)

Your watchmaker doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer--all you needed was some way of making the hole just a little bit bigger, and to do that you can thread something through.

At any rate, the feeder tool is the trick that makes it all very simple--screw it onto the pin, thread it through the lug, strap and out the other side, unscrew it and replace it with the screw. It doesn't get easier!

Good luck!
Daniel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the feeder tool to the jewelers today and within minutes he had my Seal on the Delaurian strap. What a great combination. Thanks for the advice on the feeder tool everyone and shame on me for having it all the time and not using it. Honestly, when I got my Seal, I was so excited I have hardly looked through the box to see what else was inside.

Thanks again and where would I be without this forum.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
How about some pics?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts