WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I just recently bought a watch through ebay and would like to know if the watch is authentic and I would also like to know more information regarding the watch in question.
Here is the link to the watch which contains pictures and information regarding the watch: http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370056085704&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

I am also posting here the info given by the seller including the serial number:
WATCH DESCRIPTION
PRE-OWNED RADO VOYAGER DAY/DATE AUTOMATIC MEN'S WATCH 636.3551.4
STAINLESS STEEL CASE MEASURING APPROXIMATELY 32MMX40MM, WITHOUT CROWN AND FROM LUG TO LUG
SILVER DIAL WITH RAISED MARKERS SILVER HANDS WITH SWEEP SECONDS
NO SCRATCH IN THE CRYSTAL
STAINLESS STEEL CROWN WITH RADO LOGO
QUICKSET DAY/DATE AT 3 O'CLOCK, ENGLISH/SPANISH WHEEL RADO 17 JEWELS AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT; KEEPS TIME STAINLESS STEEL BACKCASE MARKED 'RADO 636.3551.4 WATER SEALED 31349422'
INNER BACK CASE READS 'RADO WATCH CO. LTD. ALL STAINLESS STEEL'
sTAINLESS STEEL BRACELET MARKED 'RADO' AT THE CLASP, FITS A 7.25 INCH WRIST APPROX.
I hope you can help me with this as soon as you can.
Any information regarding the watch would be very much appreciated.​
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Looks OK to me. Looks like a late 60s/early 70s Rado with an ETA movement.

Why would you think it was not real?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to compare it with pictures of other Rado automatic watches and thought that the moving part for the automatic movement was engraved with something different (and then I saw another one with the same engraving).

What do I have to look out for when it comes to telling if a Rado watch is authentic or not?

Thanks for the information:)

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
What do I have to look out for when it comes to telling if a Rado watch is authentic or not?
Wow... not an easy answer. The Rado ceramic series are the most faked... usually the movements are the tells... Real ones always have decent Eta movements. But even this isn't always definitive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow
I guess building a decent collection of authentic watches really does take time and a lot of experience:)
I hope I get to learn a lot from you guys:)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Most of the time unless you are buying a really expensive or very popular vintage watch you don't have to worry that much about fakes.
The more common problem with vintage is some joker putting together a case movement and dial that didn't start out that way.
Hartmut Richter very elegantly calls them "a mariage." The other common term is "Frankenwatch."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ray:)

By the way, I have a question for you guys.
Is there a standard size for midsize/boy watches?
How about for Rado?

Thanks again:)

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Most of the time unless you are buying a really expensive or very popular vintage watch you don't have to worry that much about fakes....
This is less true than it was in the past. The Omega forum has often found faked vintage Omegas on eBay. The Tissot forum has noted some. What I am seeing most commonly is faked NOS watches... these often have a vintage movement with a watch created around it. (All these NOS Titus tuning fork watches showing up on the market now are a good example.)

But, a while back I did find 2 different vendors selling 'vintage' NOS watches that had the same serial number on the movement. So it was faked too...

Alas... So even in normal vintage you have to be aware nowadays... especially if you are buying vintage from the Ukraine :roll:

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Yes well Omega is pretty expensive and popular. The NOS watches are Frankenwatches I'd say. The whole concept of NOS is a little suspect to me.
You can still buy the average mid grade vintage without worrying much about fakes. Most of the questions we get about fakery in here is just that sort of watch.
And if you buy from the Ukraine.....:rodekaart

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
...You can still buy the average mid grade vintage without worrying much about fakes. Most of the questions we get about fakery in here is just that sort of watch...
I agree. Most mid grade vintage are pretty safe. I just got a Zodiac 36000 bph from a vendor in India who had little feedback... but the thought of the watch being a fake didn't even cross my mind. (And it isn't.)

I think you do have to develop a feeling for fakes and most don't yet have that feeling. It comes over time. So I don't mind folks asking.

I notice Ernie is having a session on spotting fakes in his watch conference in December... (December is a good time to go to Europe. No tourists! And the winters are so mild... especially for you Ray! ;-) ) Maybe we can get the presenter to do a paper we can make into a stickie!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Thanks Jim but I prefer November for Europe. We did a Med cruise last Nov. and it was great. No rain, temperatures in the 20s C in the Greek Isles and no tourists.
Then we came back and had 14 feet of snow in the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts