WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

My watch stopped today :(
After a careful look I noticed that a jewel from the pallet fork is loose and that there is not very much shellac to hold the jewels.
Searching on internet I didn't find where to buy a small amount - most of the places sell 50g+.
I'd be ever so grateful if someone from the UK (where I reside) could post me a little bit of shellac (I'd probably need less than a gram).
I will not hesitate to pay the cost.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
With help from Joe I ended up fixing the movement which is the first time I end up fixing a mechanical watch movement!

It must have been by pure luck because I ended up doing almost every single mistake there is.
I took out the loose jewel (exit one) and cleaned it together with the pallet slot.
There was very little original shellac (it was covering only a side of the jewel) which was dark in colour, didn't quite melt and wasn't as brittle as Joes' legit shellac.
I wasn't sure I'd be able to adjust the jewel position without securing it with shellac but luckily it took me two tries to get it right.
I covered about half the jewel with shellac just to be sure that I will not have to do this ever again and I also added shellac to the entry jewel as well.
In the process I managed to :
- accidentally magnetise the pallet staff.
- bend the safety pin but luckily It didn't brake when I bent it back. It seems useless to me anyway.
- clean all the oil of the pallet staff, now it doesn't stick to the pallet lever bridge jewel as it used to.
- popped out the set lever release pin, but I was able to put it back in.

It took me about three hours by the end of which watching 5s pass felt like 30s passing.
But it was very rewarding taking into account that I have like 4 broken movements under my belt as a kid.
The watch surprisingly is still within +/-12s per day

Thanks again Joe!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Glad it was a good result, and you've got good reason to feel pleased with yourself. Setting pallet stones isn't rocket science but it isn't always the nicest job going either :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts