WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, looking for some help finding out more about this Elgin watch. Has a back casing that opens like a pocket watch to expose the mechanism. All I can find is that is manufactured between 1900 and 1910. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Got this from Elgin Watches Serial Numbers | Elgin National Watch Company Serial Number, Elgin pocket watch

Elgin Serial Number : 13623540
Production Year :1909
Size :0s
Jewels :7 jewels
Grade :320
Model :2
Class :116
Run Quantity :6000
Production Dates :1903 to 1916
Total Grade Production :914000
Movement Configuration :Hunter Case
Movement Setting :pendant Wind and Set
Movement Finish :Nickel Damaskeening
Plate :3/4 Plate
Barrel :Going Barrel
Adjusted :No
Just wondering about whether it's the original case to this watch?

The reason I ask this is the production year for the movement is 1909 (as given). But the case is marked (Birmingham) Dennison Watch Case Co LTD.
Dennison converted to limited liability in 1919 meaning that case had to have been made sometimes after that date. Those "W" year letters are slighlty
tricky to decipher as many look very similar. But assuming that the case was made post 1919 the closest "W" year happens to be 1921.
So that means if the movement was made in 1909 it would had to have been "somewhere in the system" for at least 12 years before being cased.
The other thing there is no Lion passant stamped that I can see.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was quite common when wristwatches became popular after WWI for american ladies size movements to be recased in men's wristwatch cases. It may be original to this case, but be it's second case. The dates for the movement and case support that pretty well. There is no way to tell if it was originally in a hunter case, or if the movement sat on a shelf for a bunch of years.

Also, there were tons of these lower grade 0s elgins made, their case screws all match up with one another, so there's always the possibility someone threw that movement in there a couple years ago. There's simply no way to tell.

Its a good looker, enjoy it!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts