WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just made a purchase of what I think is a pretty cool watch and was hoping to get some information on it. It's a Clebar Chronograph and I though Heuer manufactured some watches for Clebar, but I could be wrong. Really any information you can throw in about it would be great. Also, I wanted to know if I paid a fair price for it at $200 USD. I thought it seemed reasonable.

Looking forward to some cool feedback,

Matt

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory Beige

Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Gold Metal

Font Metal Fashion accessory Still life photography

Watch Metal

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Reasonable price, but for the love of Gods, lose the yellow sweep hand!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That's a nice one :-!, and the yellow second reminds me of the sinful job a watchmaker had done to my Urra (before I bought it):

(At least, it wasn't yellow ... ;-))

The movement is a Landeron 248 (the number is visible beneath the balance). Unfortunately, I can't make out the writing on the chronograph bridge or whether there's an import code on the balance cock. This information might help us to decide which of the three 'Clebar' entries your watches has been manufactured by:

Clebar Clebar Watch Co. Großuhren, Kleinuhren, Gehäuse, Uhrwerke, Uhrenteile; New York, USA; registriert am 21.9.1925
Clebar Montres Zodiac SA / Fils de Ariste Calame Le Locle, Neuchâtel und Genf, Schweiz; gegründet 1882
Clebar Leonidas Watch Co. SA St.-Imier, Schweiz; registriert am 20.12.1958

I take it it's the first one - you bought it in the States, right?

Your watchmaker should not only replace the second hand, but minute and hour hand as well, which are both a trifle too long. Their style fits the watch, though, so I'd look for the same kind of hands. Ideally, your watchmaker should complement the set with a 'wire' type second hand.

Best,
Tomcat

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Numerals look to be 'lumed, so some sympatico minute and hour hands would be ideal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a nice one :-!, and the yellow second reminds me of the sinful job a watchmaker had done to my Urra (before I bought it):

(At least, it wasn't yellow ... ;-))

The movement is a Landeron 248 (the number is visible beneath the balance). Unfortunately, I can't make out the writing on the chronograph bridge or whether there's an import code on the balance cock. This information might help us to decide which of the three 'Clebar' entries your watches has been manufactured by:

Clebar Clebar Watch Co. Großuhren, Kleinuhren, Gehäuse, Uhrwerke, Uhrenteile; New York, USA; registriert am 21.9.1925
Clebar Montres Zodiac SA / Fils de Ariste Calame Le Locle, Neuchâtel und Genf, Schweiz; gegründet 1882
Clebar Leonidas Watch Co. SA St.-Imier, Schweiz; registriert am 20.12.1958

I take it it's the first one - you bought it in the States, right?

Your watchmaker should not only replace the second hand, but minute and hour hand as well, which are both a trifle too long. Their style fits the watch, though, so I'd look for the same kind of hands. Ideally, your watchmaker should complement the set with a 'wire' type second hand.

Best,
Tomcat
So what I seem to be getting is that neither of the three main hands of the watch are not original. This information in hand, should I be concerned about this being somewhat of a frakenwatch? I did buy this in the US, and once I get the watch in hand I'll be sure to post better pictures of the movement.

Also, when I bring this to my watchmaker, what would you guy recommend about doing with the dial? I'm not looking to have it redone or something as dramatic as that, but I do you think it would be possible to clean it up from some of the superficial markings it has on it?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it,

Matt

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Redial... and sorry not that good....or it could be the photo??.....Sorry uncool feedback.....!! Always factor in a service cost when buying a vintage chronograph (unless you can do it?) .....Around 500AUD if you have a good watchmaker..... so then ask is it a good deal????

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Font, printing, alignment - erratic and all over the place....It's the wrong font for the brand name - google the brand and hit images and compare....I'm no expert on this brand but would suggest it would have other markings on the dial for example possibly "chronograph"....but probably "Swiss made" or "Swiss"

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
I looked at vintage clebar chronos on google, and found many similar watches to the OP's example.
If it is a redial, it is a very old one, as the lume looks like radium to me.
Those google pics give a good idea of correct hands too! :)

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
My opinion also an old 'redial' and probably relumed.

Still a cool piece
anjoy

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
How can you tell? I ask because I'm just getting into this and don't yet understand how someone can tell so quickly, but would obviously like to be able to discern this so readily.
Here's what the dial should look like:

Earlier versions of this watch do have a plainer logo:

I don't have the pictures anymore, but the movement on mine (1st one) is also a Landeron cal. 248. I showed this to my watchmaker to inspect the movement, and he said it was one of the best conditioned vintage dials he'd ever seen. I paid a little less than you did for this watch, but the chrome plating is gone on 3 of the 4 lugs.

It's really not worth spending the money on a replacement steel case, but it makes a nice vintage beater watch for casual wear.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
@ OP: On gatorcpa's second one you see what the hands ought to look like, too. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the 'redial' (if it is one, in the first place) - what is way more striking is the patina telling that your watch has lived, and a lot. As said - a decent service and a set of new hands, and you'll have a very wearable vintage chronograph.

Best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
@ OP: On gatorcpa's second one you see what the hands ought to look like, too. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the 'redial' (if it is one, in the first place) - what is way more striking is the patina telling that your watch has lived, and a lot. As said - a decent service and a set of new hands, and you'll have a very wearable vintage chronograph.

Best,
Tomcat
Quote - if it is one, in the first place - really??? It doesn't matter if it is a redial or not... . its just the facts of the scenario..... Like it or not its a redial.....for the price it's probaly a good buy in the current climate but lets not sugar coat facts.....

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I'm not sugar-coating anything ;-) It may be a redial, but a fairly old one, and both movement, case and dial are signed 'Clebar Watch Co' so maybe someone just redid the 'C' long ago? Anyway, the dial is beautiful, it's readable and has some nice patina to it - if it was my watch I wouldn't worry.

Others may feel differently, of course.

By the way, it would be nice if the OP came back and would give us better pictures or tell us what the import code on the balance cock is so we can figure whom the watch was built by - Zodiac? Or Leonidas? Or Edward Trauner?

Best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The watch should be here in 2 days, once I get it I'll be sure post the code on the balance clock and some pictures in better light. I'm still interested to learn more about this watch.

@gatorcpa: Thanks a lot for those pictures, it's good to know that the font and style of the "clebar" typography has changed over time. Also, the dial on the first watch you posted is stunning. Great find.

Thanks for the help,
Matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I'm really interested in this as well! I just purchased a Clebar chrono here which should arrive this week (a later one than this) with the Landeron 248 and I was coming to start a thread asking about it- lo and behold, there's one here already. Here's the sale thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-vintage-clebar-chronograph-w-landeron-248-movement-1070001.html

The one I purchased is a later one and looks a LOT like the early Heuer Carreras, which is why I bought it. I love vintage Carreras but they're certainly out of my price range for now (including the "poor man's" variants). While poking around on Ebay a few weeks ago for another watch, I originally saw a Leonidas branded one from the early 60's on ebay for about $500 and was fascinated by it, and this came up for quite a bit less (and in better shape) about a week later so I jumped on it.

I, too, am fairly new to this (this will be my 2nd vintage, my first being a Benrus pilot's watch from 1965) and I'm not finding a whole lot of information although there has been some helpful info in this forum. I'd love to know more about the movement, the Clebar brand, any distinguishing things I should look for to know more about the piece once I get it, etc. - anything would be helpful. I would think based on the price these are not terribly uncommon pieces, but finding information about them has been tricky!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
@ nickp08: first, welcome to WUS/f11. You'll find a plethora of information on vintage watches here, more than anywhere else. Did you try the search already? It works pretty much like Google, but points you to threads on WUS. Try 'Landeron 248' or 'Clebar', for example.

You bought a beautiful chronograph in remarkable shape. It dates to the 1960s, which were the twilight years for Landeron, who had developed their 48-family of cam-operated chronograph movements to perfection with the 248. However, the lucrative market for affordable chronographs had evaporated by the late 1960s and was revived only in the 1970s - too late for Landeron who closed for good in 1967.

As for Clebar look to this thread - Clebar was a brand of Zodiac and of Leonidas - I'm not sure who made your's, but since you say it's reminiscent of same era Heuers I'd like to remind you that Heuer and Leonidas were in a joint venture at that time.

That's some fodder to work on, I think. Google is your friend ;-)

Best,
Tomcat

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.