WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if some of the experts on this forum could help me out with an Omega Seamaster 601.
I have attached a few pictures below but the main thing that attracts me to this watch is the steel bracelet and the silver dial- which is something I am wondering about- is it a redial or is it original? It seems also to be in very good condition considering its more than 50 years old?
THe seller is asking for 895- is this too much?
I highly appreciate your assistance!

"Circa: 1967.
Functions: Hours, minutes and seconds.
Reference numbers: Case 135.010. Serial 24031515. Calibre 601.
Case: Stainless steel. Condition very good, has some light scratches. Plexi glass in excellent condition, original Omega.
Measurements: Case Diameter 33.3mm, not including crown. Watch will fit estimated wrist size of 19.5cm.
Dial: Original silver dial with silver/black indexes and hands. Condition excellent.
Bracelet/Strap: Original Omega Steel bracelet. Reference number 1412. Condition excellent.
Movement: Manual, Omega calibre 601. Keeping excellent time. "

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,636 Posts
I don't know Omega very well so I can't comment too much and take my comments in that light. The sunburst type of silver dial is not cheap to redial, so my initial reaction is that is an original dial (Omega and dial experts may well disagree), though for the price it could have been re-done. Given the rust on the movement I don't think that dial is original to this watch - though it may be the same as the original dial. We don't discuss values here, but I don't think I'd pay that much for it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi. I agree that it may not be a "refinished" dial, but I suspect that is a replacement. Typically it should have DeVille on the dial. Overall not a bad watch at all. I also would not go close to that price for it.

Here's what the case number search says:

BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS1/1
Seamaster De Ville
Gents' leather strap

Reference
ST 135.0010
International collection
Movement
Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
Caliber number: 601
Created in 1960
17 jewels
Central sweep-second hand
Functions
Date
Case
Stainless steel
Case back
Unishell (case opening on dial side)
Dial
Metal, with luminous hour markers and luminous metal hands.
Different dial versions, with "Seamaster De Ville" or "De Ville".
Crystal
Armoured hesalite
Bracelet
Leather
Water resistance
30 meters

Reactions: jolimont

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Good info here that I appreciate as well. I have several good Omegas. A 600 shown here was an estate sale steal. Had a badly diseased dial. About 1/2 your value would be excessive for the good 601. These are common and are easily renovated. Find an otherwise good one with a bad dial.

Added photo of recently bought serviced Constellation with good original dial from good local dealer at 1/2 your quoted cost for 601. These do sell higher normally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Caliber number: 601
Created in 1960
17 jewels
Central sweep-second hand
Functions
Date
Case
Dial
Metal, with luminous hour markers and luminous metal hands.
Different dial versions, with "Seamaster De Ville" or "De Ville".
Is that "Date" function an error? The photo in the vintage database shows a non-date watch, the OP's watch does not have a date, and the photo of the 601 movement in the back of "Omega: A Journey Through Time" does not have a corresponding date wheel.

The reason I ask is that I'm spelunking around on the 'bay looking for old Seamasters and ran across this one with a 601:
VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER 30 MILITARY MECHANICAL WATCH,CAL 601 | eBay
The case number 135.012 says that it's actually a 1962 Geneve and that does NOT have a date function.

These franken-watches are pretty interesting!

Note: I didn't know this before, but the Omega book I mentioned says that "The figure '30' under the name Seammaster does not refer to a depth as for a diver's watch, but to the family name of the calibre fitted in this model, the hand-wound 30mm."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts