WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been thinking about buying a vintage omega on and off for a while now. After (mostly) reading threads on sites, I think I might take the plunge. So I would like to know if this looks real or fake? Seems to be in good condition. Maybe too good for real?
Also,
I'm not sure the back matches the calibre?
Does the crown look right?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The watch looks to be in good condition. As you noted the dial appears to in great shape. It could be the angle of photography but based on the alignment of the markers I an inclined to say it is a redial, but it is very good. It could also be a NOS original - but better pictures from different angles are needed to determine that.

The case was used with the cal. 26X movements with sub-seconds. The Omega database and other sources list the movements being used with this case as 260 and 265. But this lists are sometimes incomplete and the 266 is not totally out of whack with what one would expect in this case. The crown is likely not the original crown.

What is the size of the actual watch? It should be around 38mm in diameter and, as such, on the large size for a vintage omega watch. This would be a plus in todays market..

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
It looks fine to me. The vintage watch section of Omega's site notes the ref.2272 used a c.265, but I can imagine that some had a c.266. It appears that the dial has been refinished at some point, though.

EDIT: Yeah, what Joe said ;-)

eric

·
Registered
253 Posts
Something about the way the tip of the minute hand goes beyond the minute markers seems out of place. I could be off base but I think it is either a very good re-dial that is not a copy of the original, or more likely replacement larger hands (that could be changed).

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Something about the way the tip of the minute hand goes beyond the minute markers seems out of place. I could be off base but I think it is either a very good re-dial that is not a copy of the original, or more likely replacement larger hands (that could be changed).
That's a good observation, Jude. I think the hour and minute hands are ok, but the redial makes it look a bit odd. I'm not as sure about the second hand. It looks much shorter than other examples I've seen.

eric

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's a good observation, Jude. I think the hour and minute hands are ok, but the redial makes it look a bit odd. I'm not as sure about the second hand. It looks much shorter than other examples I've seen.

eric
Yep, the second hand is off too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,
So I have been looking at some other vintage omegas for sale.
Some interesting ones I have found, see to also have long second hands.

Do these also look weird/redial-ed?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
The first is a bumper automatic from the American collection probably an F6321. It looks like a redial and the crown is likely not correct.

The second watch appears to be correct but the crown is a replacement. The watch is from the late 50's and during this era the crowns were signed. The dial is a recent redial.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first is a bumper automatic from the American collection probably an F6321. It looks like a redial and the crown is likely not correct.

The second watch appears to be correct but the crown is a replacement. The watch is from the late 50's and during this era the crowns were signed. The dial is a recent redial.
Thanks,
Normally for a "redial" are they typically NOS?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Just to add a bit to Joe's comments, black dialed vintage Omegas are very, very often redials, so you have to be especially careful. On the other hand, some people are perfectly happy with a good quality redial.

eric

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Just to add a bit to Joe's comments, black dialed vintage Omegas are very, very often redials, so you have to be especially careful. On the other hand, some people are perfectly happy with a good quality redial.

eric
Yes, black dial popularity only really came in a few years ago, and prior to that, you rarely saw a vintage black dial Omega on eBay. Now there's a million of them. Go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts