WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife has a movado gentry

two days after going to the water park. We noticed a moiture type circular ring on the inside of the crystal. If we rub it, it seems to go away. We live in the louisiana where the temp has been 114 and humidity is 98%. The watch seem to be working just fine. So here are my questions

1) could it be humidity or moisture inside the crystal ? since it suppose to be water proof and at most she we down 10 feet.

2) can moisture/water be removed from inside the crystal ? or should we just keep rubbing it

3) can someone recommend a online vendor to do the repair. I have fallen out of sort with my local repair guy. He replaced a saphire crystal with a mineral one. kinda shady to me.

4) is it cost effective to do the repair vs just getting her something to replace it ? if so recommendation are welcome. she currently owns the movado, rolex datejust, and a pink luminox I just got her. She is a nurse and she wears all her watches to work.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's not waterproof, get it serviced now! As to cost effectiveness, that's
your call.
Only a professional diver could be considered "waterproof", and even then with qualifications. Water resistant is relative. 30meters or 3 atm is iffy even washing dishes and such. 50 meters or 5atm is more like it, but swimming at a waterpark is risky- pressure from going down a slide could easily overwhelm the water resistance, it really depends on the watch. I would only wear a diver while swimming, especially at a waterpark. I agree, once you have evidence of moisture in the case you should get it serviced immediately, if the watch is worth it. In my opinion, only a watch specifically designed for water use should be used in a pool.
Good luck, however you decide to go.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its been 3 yrs since we brought it. I think maybe the gasket went bad also.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
3 ATM is fine for most water activities, except diving. I think the seals have perished, so basically the watch has Zero WR.

The water pressure does not increase when you enter water at speed.
There was a very good thread about this some time ago. A WUS member explained the physics.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
3 ATM is fine for most water activities, except diving. I think the seals have perished, so basically the watch has Zero WR.

The water pressure does not increase when you enter water at speed.
There was a very good thread about this some time ago. A WUS member explained the physics.
I respectfully disagree about the 3 atm. Most manuals (every one I have, anyway) list 3 atm as ok for washing hands, rain and the like. 5 atm for swimming, but 10 atm for "watersports".
You are right about seals, of course.
As I remember the myth was about increased pressure from moving your arms while swimming and the like. I'm probably wrong, but a moving down a waterslide would seem to actually add pressure. Or not, but I wouldn't risk it. Going from 114 degrees to cool water may have done it.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Realistically speaking, a 3ATM watch is safe for a waterpressure of 30 meters depth.
Washing dishes and hands wil expose it to the same pressure as normal swimming.
Assuming it has 3 ATM WR of course.
Even a new watch with the stated WR of 3 ATM may have Zero WR.
And it does not matter if it is a Timex or a JLC.
We do not know, unless we have it tested!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I suggest you get some silicone grease and smear it on all the gaskets. My watch was condensing, so I regreased the gaskets and the problem disappeared. Although I also live in ultra dry California. The grease is only about $5 a tube so I would try that before considering a repair etc.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Realistically speaking, a 3ATM watch is safe for a waterpressure of 30 meters depth.
Washing dishes and hands wil expose it to the same pressure as normal swimming.
Assuming it has 3 ATM WR of course.
Even a new watch with the stated WR of 3 ATM may have Zero WR.
And it does not matter if it is a Timex or a JLC.
We do not know, unless we have it tested!
Well, water resistance has been covered ad nauseum, and likely will be again. I personally would never take a 3 atm watch in the pool, let alone to 90 feet.:)
Don't mean to hijack the thread, so we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.:-d

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suggest you get some silicone grease and smear it on all the gaskets. My watch was condensing, so I regreased the gaskets and the problem disappeared. Although I also live in ultra dry California. The grease is only about $5 a tube so I would try that before considering a repair etc.
Hmmm I wondering if I could do that or should I send it to a shop. Like I said its still keeping prefect time.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Give it to a qualified watch maker, It could be the seals around the crown.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
There is definitely moisture inside the watch now. The moisture could be due to either water entering the watch during activities at the water park, or it could be due to the high humidity getting past a seal or gasket. Or it could be due to both . . . but I think the first instance is the most likely, as the watch did not exhibit signs of internal moisture until after the water park visit.

You need to have a local watchmaker open and dry out the watch and then clean and lubricate it again. Make sure that the watchmaker has access to the correct seals and gaskets; it's not going to help much if the watch is reassembled using the same seals or gaskets that allowed the entry of water in the first place.

And, with all due respect to the "physics" of water, I believe that increasing the velocity of an object in water puts greater water pressure upon some surfaces. If you sit in a jacuzzi and put your hand near one of the water jets, the pressure can move your hand. Now, if you put your watch in front of one of the water jets, the pressure will be greater than if you moved the watch away from one of the jets. If the pressure were the same, it wouldn't make your hand move or increase the stress on watch seals. I don't buy that swimming, with your arms beating the water, is the same as sitting in a pool with no currents to affect you. All the equations in the world will not convince me otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts