WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am trying to help my good friend find a watch. It is a wedding present from his wife so it will be a special watch for him. After having done some prodding to find out what he likes, he looked around and came up with two models he thinks looks nice and fits within the budget:

Tudor Fastrider Blackshield:
https://www.jomashop.com/tudor-watch-42000cn-0018.html

Tag Formula One Chrono:
https://www.jomashop.com/tag-heuer-watch-caz2011-ft8024.html

Based upon the two links, I'd say he likes black watches (PVD or DLC) and is also a fan of ceramic cases as well as titanium. He has about a 6.75" wrist so a case of 44mm or less would be his preference. To help him out, I'm polling the WUS community to see what other suggestions you all may have that fits his criteria:

- 40-44mm case (6.75" wrist)
- black PVD or DLC
- ceramic or titanium (probably would be willing to do black steel)
- wants a date window, GMT complication, but also likes chronographs
- bracelet or strap is fine
- preferably automatic
- not a fan of dive watches that resemble the Rolex Submariner - especially the dial (but will wear a diver)
- $3500 budget (possibly can go up to $4000)

I much appreciate the input!

Thank you!

·
Banned
873 Posts
If this is going to be his first mechanical wrist watch, I would advise taking him to a Tourneau if you have access to one. I like black/DLC/PVD watches too but they're not exactly the most versatile pieces.

Reactions: IllCommunication

·
Registered
575 Posts
If this is going to be his first mechanical wrist watch, I would advise taking him to a Tourneau if you have access to one. I like black/DLC/PVD watches too but they're not exactly the most versatile pieces.
This is one of those things I thought was awesome when I was a lot younger and then when I got older saw exactly how limiting those are. ESPECIALLY if its your only watch

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! Not interested in pre-owned, though it may change if he finds something good and at a good price. He hasn't been shopping at ADs so I'm guessing he's not all that worried about having a factory warranty. This is not going to be his first mechanical watch and he does have other watches - Submariner, Tag, Citizen, and one other Swiss automatic (can't recall what it was). He's after a black one simply because he doesn't have one yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
So many options.
Personally I dont like any of the two you have recommended. As others have mentioned black coatings are problematic, and even PVD will come off if scratched. I vote an IWC Pilot Mark XVIII Top Gun - ceramic, and dark (pic from the internet) - man I miss my MkXVIII
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

·
1,892 Posts
Does he live in MN like you where he'll wear long sleeves a lot? If he is planning on wearing the watch with buttoned long sleeves, the Brietling is 12.2mm thick; the Tudor 15mm. On my arm, a 15mm thick watch doesn't work very well under the cuff with some of my long sleeves. Good to try that out with a thicker case watch at the store if that is a possible consideration.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point about the sleeves. I know exactly what you mean. I usually wear my Seiko MM300 and it doesn't always fit well under dress shirt sleeves. Yes he lives in MN as well. I think he does have plans to find local dealers to try them both.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
4,286 Posts
While I've always been a Tudor fan, the latest two options you've presented, I feel the Breitling will be a better option and will be both more practical and less likely to become a fashion faux pas of the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The Breitling. I've tried on that Tudor and it just a clunky watch.... Wasn't a fan at all.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
Out of the two, Breitling.

Although that Monza sure looks good too.

Edit: Just saw the Monza has SS pushers, so that’s a nish-nish.

I’d pick the Breitling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts