WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is there such a large gap in price on their watches?
I want a bronze and there seems to be about a $900 dollar difference between the two offerings.
The only differences I could see were depth rating and movement.

Is a ETA 2824-2 that much more expensive than a NH35, or is it more about the depth?

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
ETA is much more xpensive and a more refined movement, higher beat rate..if one researches the recent ETA history, ETA is choking supply, leading to difficulty obtaining them.

Titanium back keeps the bronze from staining one's skin green.

In comparison, Seiko charges a similar price for its diver with a similar 8L35 movement, and it isn't bronze cased.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
^^not only that, the cheaper Helson have brass case opposed to full bronze of the ETA version. Bronze is much more expensive then brass

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well jeez, I didn't even notice that. Takes that right out of the running.
That'll teach me to look at watches at 6am.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Bronze is much more expensive than brass.

Yes, but many bronze offerings have come down a lot in price compared to what Helson is asking. Helson set their price a long time back and was an early adopter of bronze. Granted they offer their watch with an ETA movement which effects price of course. Though I think they are making a good profit on these. The machining / finish, and construction on their 1st releases were pretty crude.

They have improved since then for certain. They are also using stainless steel for case backs, crown stem & crown inserts now (on 40mm SD) vs titanium from earlier releases.

RD

·
Registered
119 Posts
OP, if you are looking at the Helson bronze, wander over to the Armida site and check out the A1 bronze. The two were similar prices a few years ago but the A1 has come right down in price and the difference is now $400 which is difficult to justify between a ETA 2824 and Miyota 9015. I have owned both but now only have the A1 as the smaller lug length gives it a much nicer fit.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Bronze is much more expensive than brass.

Yes, but many bronze offerings have come down a lot in price compared to what Helson is asking. Helson set their price a long time back and was an early adopter of bronze. Granted they offer their watch with an ETA movement which effects price of course. Though I think they are making a good profit on these. The machining / finish, and construction on their 1st releases were pretty crude.

They have improved since then for certain. They are also using stainless steel for case backs, crown stem & crown inserts now (on 40mm SD) vs titanium from earlier releases.

RD
I agree, lately competition is pretty strong in this market segment
Helson pricing seems very steep compared to other bronzos

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP, if you are looking at the Helson bronze, wander over to the Armida site and check out the A1 bronze. The two were similar prices a few years ago but the A1 has come right down in price and the difference is now $400 which is difficult to justify between a ETA 2824 and Miyota 9015. I have owned both but now only have the A1 as the smaller lug length gives it a much nicer fit.
Right now based on what I want I'm looking at either the Armida, Zelos, or Helberg. They're all lacking a little something, so I'd have to end up having each one customized in one way or another.

Maybe I should design my own and go do a Kickstarter campaign. ;)

Reactions: rlara333
1 - 9 of 9 Posts