WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if there's already been a thread about this, but I tried searching this forum and among the other subforums on this site, but I couldn't find anything yet.

So I was recently browsing the Helson Watches site to see if they're producing any new models lately, and came upon this:
Helson SD45 Forged Carbon (Link)

Case: Forged Carbon- Ø 45 mm - height 18 mm - lug distance 24 mm, lug to lug 54mm.
Screwed crown w. side protection
Weight: 138g on rubber
Case back: Titanium DLC
Bezel: Forged Carbon
Sapphire crystal: 4 mm thick - inside AR coated.
Water resistance: 2000m/6.600 ft
Antimagnetic to 70.000 A/m
Dial, hands and bezel coated with swiss SuperLuminova C3
Strap: Comfortable 24mm natural rubber strap .
Movement: 25 Jewel ETA 2824-2 automatic

The SD45 Forged Carbon will be available August 2016 the sales price will be $1299.
We are running a Pre Order until June 15th with $300 discount.
If you want to reserve your watch for $999 a $300 deposit is needed.
The balance should be paid between August 1st and 10th.
Pre Order shipments start August 11th.
The deposit is non refundable.

NvlcKWQ.jpg

bluXujc.jpg

rOFb11P.jpg

lGtHjKt.jpg

What do you guys think? Anyone getting on the preorder for one?

Disclaimer: I don't work for, nor am I associate with, Helson Watches. Just a fan of their products!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I like it! I have a 1st gen SD and it's heavy. I guess the carbon version will be a lot lighter. But as I have never had a watch made from that material I also am curious to find out how it's going to hold up over time. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to say I'm not a fan of the case size, and I also have reservations about the forged carbon case. Not sure how it will hold up to regular daily wear and use, scratches, bumps, etc.

But on paper, the specs look a lot better than the next available and similarly priced alternative (at the pre-order price), the Tempest Carbon: Carbon - TempestWatches

You do get an ETA movement upgrade, antimagnetic, and apparently it still keeps the 2000 meter water resistance (I'm amazed if they can pull this off with a carbon case).

The Tempest Carbon does look better with the more balanced no-date dial, the hands/markers, and the gorgeous marbled carbon though.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Looks very cool, but I really wish to see new models though.
Thanks for the link!

Reactions: watermanxxl

·
Registered
773 Posts
I do love a Shark Diver and this latest offering is very cool indeed. The specs looks great but would I buy one...no, I think the pricing strategy is overly optimistic for one and knowing how the SD45 is no stranger to colliding with other substantial objects it'd be pissed if it marked up easily. It does look bad ass though.

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
^ good to know I would hate to have a $1300 watch that feels cheap on the wrist. I wonder how it feels vs those plastic cases that luminox uses sometimes

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I know from experience that carbon fibre is very strong and lightweight but prone to cracks and splitting. Just google "carbon fibre failure" to see what it looks while damaged. You'll mostly see images of sporting equipment probably abused more severely than a SD45, but it reminds me of wood when it fails. We have some industrial items made of carbon at my workplace and they are very expensive and resistant, but they tend to fail unexpectedly without any warning.

Thos who say it feels like plastic are right; it is basically a polymer bonded with resins. Tougher than steel at equal weight but it has it's downsides. It possibly can't be brushed/polished/restored like a normal steel case if some damage occurs.

I'd be wary that my 1000$ Helson SD45 feeled like a 40$ Casio DW5600E on the wrist. Looks amazing though. maybe at 600$ I'd try one, but too expensive at the current pricepoint.

S.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Too bad I've never liked the Shark Diver case.
It looks more like the Panerai carbotech than forged carbon by the way.

I am waiting for another batch from Magrette. ;-)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Wondering if this was done on a 3D printer. Saw something on TV the other day where a company is printing car components out of forged carbon on a 3D printer - extremely light and strong. And for them, the best part is instead of taking 1,000 man hours, it takes under 5 (or so they claim). I like a metal watch and metal on metal casebacks. I had a TAWATEC plastic watch a couple years ago and, while never having any problems, it felt a little cheap to me.

If these are being manufactured on a 3D printer, even at a discounted $1,000, I bet that's a healthy profit margin.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts