WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

781 - 800 of 858 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for the spring bar pin and collar system? With the tools I have I am unable to get the spring bars to release. I don't see a guide as to which side (arrows etc) and my pin and collar tools are just not engaging. So any information is appreciated.
Yeah, it's an ingenious but PITA system that requires new techniques. You have to compress both of the spring loaded pins on a given link simultaneously. I used a feeler gauge to hold one side in while I pushed on the other side. Another idea I toyed with was using a piece of a playing card to do that. The feeler gauge technique worked fairly well, however.

·
Registered
Tourby, Seiko, Monta, MKII
5,037 Posts
Yeah, it's an ingenious but PITA system that requires new techniques. You have to compress both of the spring loaded pins on a given link simultaneously. I used a feeler gauge to hold one side in while I pushed on the other side. Another idea I toyed with was using a piece of a playing card to do that. The feeler gauge technique worked fairly well, however.
Fun. Just what I wanted to do on a Friday morning. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I"m thinking my local watchmaker won't enjoy this resizing so I'll spare him.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I'ts been a while, but I think I also used some Scotch tape to hold things in alignment while reassembling and re-compressing those pins. You really need about 4 hands.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
By the time you're done you'll have developed a bit of a technique. I hope you get it sized right on the first try. Good luck.

P.S It strikes me that now might be a good time to think about that dive strap or shark mesh. lol

Reactions: Tanjecterly

·
Vendor
26,223 Posts
I will have to take a look at the odin.
I JUST got a amphion vintage gilt.

Also, Borealis Estoril makes a VERY similar style...
(but that blue was SMURF blue...that my wife made fun of when I showed her the picture).

Or MAYBE Helson will come out with a royal/cobalt blue one in the near future.
FYI - There's literally one Blue Odin left available in the world, at Serious Watches in the EU.

Tapatalk is all natural. Wash in cold water and tumble dry on low heat. Some talk shrinking may occur.

Reactions: watchman600

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Wait they have the new sharmaster 300s with date window out? The shop only shows no-date variants...

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Wait they have the new sharmaster 300s with date window out? The shop only shows no-date variants...
No. This was a one time thing. When they were/are offering the no date variants, they offered me the date version but only in blue although I'd contacted them months ago for a date black triangle. The sale pushed me over so I got it. I'm pleased with it. You need to reach out to Helson to see if they can source you a date version.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Some other pics I have of my blue one.

Sent from a van down by the river...
Thank you for taking more pictures and sharing them with me.
This is a great looking watch. Is it available or will it be available in a few months?
I can't get anything to show up on their website.

@docvail I DO like the lighter shade, cobalt/royal blue of the NTH Odin,
more than this navy blue of the Helson that might look like black in some light.
But, I really like the dial without the "big triangle" at the 12:00 position.
Thank you for thinking of me, though. I appreciate it.
Looks like you are having fun on the beach. Enjoy your vacation!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Thank you for taking more pictures and sharing them with me.
This is a great looking watch. Is it available or will it be available in a few months?
I can't get anything to show up on their website.

@docvail I DO like the lighter shade, cobalt/royal blue of the NTH Odin,
more than this navy blue of the Helson that might look like black in some light.
But, I really like the dial without the "big triangle" at the 12:00 position.
Thank you for thinking of me, though. I appreciate it.
Looks like you are having fun on the beach. Enjoy your vacation!
Sorry, I’ve had this one for about a year. Not sure if / when Helson will bringing these back.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I have the same model except with numbers instead of the big triangle. I went for the sharkmesh on mine as I didn’t want to mess with those crazy links.

Actually it's not that bad. Just have not to confuse the links that attach to the watch head with the regular links. They don't look different other than the regular springbars don't fit the regular links. I made the mistake of attaching a big hole link in the middle of the bracelet with a small springbar. After I realized what I'd done, I had to take apart the bracelet to look for the missing end link and make sure it was separated from the others when I reattached. Like I said, more trouble than it was worth, but the results are good. I am now comfortable with the spring bar links. So.....YMMV.

Reactions: Bloom

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
The black and blue Odin are good options. They strike me more as a modern take on the Omega, while the Helson SM300 is the older Seamaster version from the 60s.

Reactions: Bloom

·
Registered
887 Posts
The black and blue Odin are good options. They strike me more as a modern take on the Omega, while the Helson SM300 is the older Seamaster version from the 60s.
I like docvail & his business NTH that has done well in this dog-eat-dog watch market. So, on that account well-done by docvail & NTH. (y) 👏
but those cookie-cutter watch cases make every NTH look alike. it destroys the spirit of the watch. For example - the Odin. I like the dial as it is an homage to the Seamaster 300 of the 1960s but the watch case destroys the homage. I can't pull the trigger to get that model......
it's a "bastard" watch - neither here nor there...

the watch company is called NTH & they claim one meaning is "nth" as in taking things to the nth degree. Really? And, you made the Odin as a Seamaster 300 homage and forgot to make the correct case? that does not look like taking things to the nth degree.....
maybe it's just nit-picky me....
OR, i'm missing something here? (if I am please enlighten me. Thanks.)

·
Vendor
26,223 Posts
I like docvail & his business NTH that has done well in this dog-eat-dog watch market. So, on that account well-done by docvail & NTH. (y) 👏
but those cookie-cutter watch cases make every NTH look alike. it destroys the spirit of the watch. For example - the Odin. I like the dial as it is an homage to the Seamaster 300 of the 1960s but the watch case destroys the homage. I can't pull the trigger to get that model......
it's a "bastard" watch - neither here nor there...

the watch company is called NTH & they claim one meaning is "nth" as in taking things to the nth degree. Really? And, you made the Odin as a Seamaster 300 homage and forgot to make the correct case? that does not look like taking things to the nth degree.....
maybe it's just nit-picky me....
OR, i'm missing something here? (if I am please enlighten me. Thanks.)
Uhm...thanks?

"Cookie-cutter watch cases" - The case for the 40mm NTH Subs (of which, the Odin is one of over 40 versions) is a unique design of our own. It's not a catalog case, so calling it "cookie-cutter" is a bit insulting.

Yes, we use the same case for all of the NTH Subs, but they're all NTH Subs - of course they're going to share a case, if they're all different versions of the same model. Why would we need to re-design the case for each new version, and why would we redesign something that has proven to be so successful? How is what we're doing any different than any other brand that offers multiple versions of the same model, in the same case?

"NTH" has a dual meaning. It's " Nod to History" for the vintage inspiration, but also about a philosophy of seeing how far we can take things (the Nth degree). At the time of its introduction in 2016, the NTH Subs case made them the thinnest 300m WR diving watches in the world, to the best of our knowledge, and in many ways, we're making functional or design improvements on the sources of our inspiration.

Honestly, the "homage" argument here is one we simply can't win. Your criticism is that the Odin isn't close enough to the Seamaster 300. If we wanted to, we could create a 1:1 design reproduction. But if we did that, you or others would no doubt dismiss it as showing no creativity whatsoever, and just call it a knockoff.

I've never tried to conceal our sources of inspiration. I've openly said that the NTH Subs' case was inspired by various designs from the 50's. With each version, we either volunteer info about where we found inspiration, or are happy to provide it whenever someone asks.

I think I've already said this, in some way, earlier in this very thread, but here it is again - if what you want is a very close homage to the SM300, get a Watchco, the Helson, the Borealis Estoril, the MKII project 300, or any other watch from any other brand which gets closer to it than the Odin does. I've no problem with that.

Personally, I owned the Helson, and thought it was a fantastic way to scratch that SM300 itch. I said as much, more than once.

But, if someone likes the Odin (and many people do), I hope they'll consider it on its own merits, not simply on how much it resembles the SM300, or how much it differs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Uhm...thanks?

"Cookie-cutter watch cases" - The case for the 40mm NTH Subs (of which, the Odin is one of over 40 versions) is a unique design of our own. It's not a catalog case, so calling it "cookie-cutter" is a bit insulting.

Yes, we use the same case for all of the NTH Subs, but they're all NTH Subs - of course they're going to share a case, if they're all different versions of the same model. Why would we need to re-design the case for each new version, and why would we redesign something that has proven to be so successful? How is what we're doing any different than any other brand that offers multiple versions of the same model, in the same case?

"NTH" has a dual meaning. It's " Nod to History" for the vintage inspiration, but also about a philosophy of seeing how far we can take things (the Nth degree). At the time of its introduction in 2016, the NTH Subs case made them the thinnest 300m WR diving watches in the world, to the best of our knowledge, and in many ways, we're making functional or design improvements on the sources of our inspiration.

Honestly, the "homage" argument here is one we simply can't win. Your criticism is that the Odin isn't close enough to the Seamaster 300. If we wanted to, we could create a 1:1 design reproduction. But if we did that, you or others would no doubt dismiss it as showing no creativity whatsoever, and just call it a knockoff.

I've never tried to conceal our sources of inspiration. I've openly said that the NTH Subs' case was inspired by various designs from the 50's. With each version, we either volunteer info about where we found inspiration, or are happy to provide it whenever someone asks.

I think I've already said this, in some way, earlier in this very thread, but here it is again - if what you want is a very close homage to the SM300, get a Watchco, the Helson, the Borealis Estoril, the MKII project 300, or any other watch from any other brand which gets closer to it than the Odin does. I've no problem with that.

Personally, I owned the Helson, and thought it was a fantastic way to scratch that SM300 itch. I said as much, more than once.

But, if someone likes the Odin (and many people do), I hope they'll consider it on its own merits, not simply on how much it resembles the SM300, or how much it differs.
Very well stated. Respect.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Uhm...thanks?

thanks docvail for the clarification.

I meant no insult (seriously) re. The cookie cutter cases & I didn’t mean it in the sense of a catalog case but in the sense that all NTH subs used the same case. You’ve explained your reasons for that. thanks for that.
for me personally the reason It affects my perception Is that most of your subs are a “nod to history” - it’s very hard to look at many of your subs & not be reminded of the original. And with that comes the feeling that the homage should homage the original in all respects. the other part of me knows that’s not necessarily true - that the homage maker is allowed an artistic license to make his own interpretation.
but, for me, one side & other have not shaken hands & reconciled just yet.
maybe one day they will & I will see the Odin for its own merits & I will be able to support yet another USA based watch manuf...

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Circling back to this thread, I could have sworn that a WUS member provided a quick comparison between the MKII Project 300 and the Helson SM300 in this thread. I can't seem to find it and don't seem to find a search thread function. Can someone point me to the right direction? TIA.

Reactions: KingKF1221
781 - 800 of 858 Posts