WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

801 - 820 of 855 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow! Did Helson shrink the size down? The original Omega Seamaster 300 is 42mm. If the Helson is truly only 40mm, kudos, they did something different to the base watch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I would love to try it and see how it wears on the wrist.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Uhm...thanks?

"Cookie-cutter watch cases" - The case for the 40mm NTH Subs (of which, the Odin is one of over 40 versions) is a unique design of our own. It's not a catalog case, so calling it "cookie-cutter" is a bit insulting.

Yes, we use the same case for all of the NTH Subs, but they're all NTH Subs - of course they're going to share a case, if they're all different versions of the same model. Why would we need to re-design the case for each new version, and why would we redesign something that has proven to be so successful? How is what we're doing any different than any other brand that offers multiple versions of the same model, in the same case?

"NTH" has a dual meaning. It's " Nod to History" for the vintage inspiration, but also about a philosophy of seeing how far we can take things (the Nth degree). At the time of its introduction in 2016, the NTH Subs case made them the thinnest 300m WR diving watches in the world, to the best of our knowledge, and in many ways, we're making functional or design improvements on the sources of our inspiration.

Honestly, the "homage" argument here is one we simply can't win. Your criticism is that the Odin isn't close enough to the Seamaster 300. If we wanted to, we could create a 1:1 design reproduction. But if we did that, you or others would no doubt dismiss it as showing no creativity whatsoever, and just call it a knockoff.

I've never tried to conceal our sources of inspiration. I've openly said that the NTH Subs' case was inspired by various designs from the 50's. With each version, we either volunteer info about where we found inspiration, or are happy to provide it whenever someone asks.

I think I've already said this, in some way, earlier in this very thread, but here it is again - if what you want is a very close homage to the SM300, get a Watchco, the Helson, the Borealis Estoril, the MKII project 300, or any other watch from any other brand which gets closer to it than the Odin does. I've no problem with that.

Personally, I owned the Helson, and thought it was a fantastic way to scratch that SM300 itch. I said as much, more than once.

But, if someone likes the Odin (and many people do), I hope they'll consider it on its own merits, not simply on how much it resembles the SM300, or how much it differs.
Cookie cutter or not, no one can deny this NTH 40mm case is amazingly thin for a diver. Let's not forget besides the love for watches we all have, DocV is a business man (not a watchmaker) and a shrewd one. From a business POV it makes perfect sense to keep that same case as reuse it over and over and over again. By way of how things are looking his business model is successful. Not everyone can do what MKII does, creating a new midcase for each project, and not everyone wanna wait 8 years to get their watch paid in full. So it's good to have different business models catering to different groups with different needs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Circling back to this thread, I could have sworn that a WUS member provided a quick comparison between the MKII Project 300 and the Helson SM300 in this thread. I can't seem to find it and don't seem to find a search thread function. Can someone point me to the right direction? TIA.
I would love to read this comparison if/when you come across it again.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Circling back to this thread, I could have sworn that a WUS member provided a quick comparison between the MKII Project 300 and the Helson SM300 in this thread. I can't seem to find it and don't seem to find a search thread function. Can someone point me to the right direction? TIA.
I would love to read this comparison if/when you come across it again.
It was me who posted it... but I cannot seem to find that post in here now.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Found it (it was actually in a different Helson thread):

They had the same movement but my MKII seemed to be a bit more accurate (given the quality control at MKII, I'd assume Bill Yao does a bit more regulating of the movement). I know the MKII had a lot more handwork but honestly the finish was similar on both. The crown on the MKII was smoother to operate than the Helson but the bezel action was the same and the alignment on both looked spot on to me. I'm never going to dive 300 meters (or 30 meters) deep but thanks to MKII's famous quality control I would trust that piece of gear in a heartbeat. I've never had any problems with my Helsons but I know there were reports of problems with some of the Sharkmaster 600 and 1000 dive watches. From what I recall reading, Helson made everything right, but that's still something to consider.

I couldn't find any flaws on the dial or lume of either the Helson or the MKII but I imagine if I had a good strong loupe, the MKII would probably look better, but again, to my naked eye both looked great. Lume on both was great but I think the edge goes to Helson - MKII might be applied a bit more evenly and smoothly but the Helson is outright radioactive! But Helson always has great levels of lume on their watches.

I will say that the bracelet on my Helson was sort of a piece of trash compared to the MKII. It just felt cheap and jangly. I opted to wear my Helson on an older shark mesh from one of my Skindivers and I liked that look and feel a lot better. I'll add that my Sharkmaster 300 was one of the first ones shipped and had hollow endlinks and I think Helson has since upgraded to solid endlinks and I wouldn't be surprised if they tightened up things in general on the bracelet.

One thing I really liked about the Helson was that it was available with a blue dial and bezel and that's what I had. It was sort of a grayish blue and looked really nice.

Summary:
MKII
Pros
Attention to detail
Lots of handwork
Marginally better accuracy (but same movement)
Multi-positional testing
Assembled in the U.S. (if that's important to you)
Smoother crown action
Much better bracelet

Cons
Long lead time
Cost
Long lead time
Long lead time

Helson
Pros
Cost
Brighter lume
Optional blue dial/bezel
Readily available

Cons
Buying from China (...again, if that's important to you)
Likely not as much handwork and attention to detail

Admittedly, the cons on the Helson are really subjective. I'll add that the Helson was also slightly smaller in diameter and lug-to-lug measurements than the MKII. Both fit me comfortably but that might be something worth considering for others.

I kept the MKII because I want to be as complete in my MKII collection as possible but if I wasn't an addict in this watch game and was just headed out to buy a watch and I liked this style and got to compare the Helson and MKII side by side, I'd probably go with the Helson.

All that said, when Helson sent out the coupon code last week I went to their website to see if the blue one was available, because I was going to buy it again if it were! lol

·
Registered
863 Posts
It was me who posted it... but I cannot seem to find that post in here now.
Hmmmm... I searched too last night & didn’t find anything. Of course I did not remember it was specifically you (thanks for reminding us) but I looked for some key words....
Wonder what happened to your post???
Are you sure it was this thread? Any recollection of date? We can go back & in those sections of the thread...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
With that pre-order discount I bet they sell out again quickly.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Oh man finally someone making a scafograf homage. Love the dial on these! Can't wait to see some real pics of it. Wish they kept the bezel design the same

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
As this watch is one of my favourites I wanted to make the "perfect" hommage.
I ordered an Uncle Seiko Flat Link bracelet and ... it works!

It looks and wears much better, imho. Since it is hard and pretty expensive to find an authentic original, for me this is the best a hommage can get.
View attachment 15489468
I like the bottom watch...sharkmaster 300 without big triangle.
Where is it in blue?
Is the bracelet that comes with it (shown in the bottom picture) an excellent, comfortable bracelet?
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

·
Registered
681 Posts
For those who were waiting on a restock of the Sharkmaster 300, I noticed that Helson has opened up pre-ordering for them.
Thanks for the heads-up. And 15 percent off.
BUT where is the blue sharkmaster 300 without a big triangle??
And where are the ones with a date?
Shouldn't they have re-stocked with all of these great options available??
BTW, the vintage looks good too.
How is the bracelet on these watches? It doesn't show any pictures of it.
Is it a very good bracelet? Anyone who has one, please let me know about it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Agreed - Mine is languishing in its original shipping box - very "clunky"...
Having said that, this watch BEGS for strap & bracelet changes due to the drilled lugs. I have an aftermarket flat link bracelet with original Omega end links from seller squinky (before Uncle Seiko came out with his much less expensive flat link variant). As of today, I'm wearing mine on the SUPER FINE Zodiac 20mm Tropic strap, of which I now own three of same. It's probably THE most expensive current Tropic strap offering, and when you buy one you'll understand where that extra money went! I also bought the Isofrane "real" Tropic offering in 22mm - it's almost a bit TOO "soft & pliable" by comparison, especially the rubber "keepers". I wish Zodiac made a 22mm variant, but I digress...

The bracelet that comes with the SM300 is not very comfortable, imho. No.
Sharkmaster300Tropic.jpg

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree that the bracelet that came on the SM300 was not the best. It wasn't awful, but it just wasn't very remarkable either. When I had mine, I always wore it on a sharkmesh bracelet from one of my Skin Divers. I think the sharmesh was infinitely more comfortable and better looking.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Actually, I liked the bracelet on the SM300. It had a ratcheting clasp which made it very useful in adjusting when I felt like it.

I sold mine just now. But I'm missing it already. Well, when Helson starts offering them in date versions, I'll probably buy one. They're that good.

801 - 820 of 855 Posts