WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

821 - 840 of 858 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just bought a black no date "12" on pre-order a couple of days ago... seems nice and with that size probably my boss (aka wife) will subtract it from my collection... (Steinhart Ocean1, Seiko 5 blue (SNZH53J1) and OWC MilSub went down the same road...). Well, I can't complain, at least I know the Sharkmaster 1000 is out of her wearable dimensions :sneaky: .

Which one is the bracelet recommended from this one from Uncle Seiko? The ref. no. US1171 for the Omega Speedy?

Cheers,

·
Registered
710 Posts
Where is the blue one (sharkmaster 300)?
And where is the date one?
If they were re-stocking, why not re-stock them??
I don't get it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where is the blue one (sharkmaster 300)?
And where is the date one?
If they were re-stocking, why not re-stock them??
I don't get it.
The blue is restocked I think, at least they are listed still in stock (no date thou) in their website.
Perhaps contacting them directly for the date version? I had some luck in the not distant past with a Sharkmaster 1000...

Cheers,

·
Registered
Tourby, Seiko, Monta, MKII
5,037 Posts
This is how I got my blue date. I contacted Helson directly to complain and request a date version. Originally, I requested a black but they only had a blue date and I went for that. I don't know why they're either having problems getting date versions or they are going in a different direction towards no date versions. But can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Pretty simple, really - desire for a date window on (any) dive watch is EXPONENTIALLY more than for the equivalent No Date model, which I personally don't "get"; then again, I've always been an outlier...

·
Registered
710 Posts
@Guillermo Pelaez @Tanjecterly @TheGanzman I will try to contact them. It's weird.
Their website doesn't work great. As far a being "re-stocked":
And they do not show a picture of the sharkmaster 300 in blue
and they do not show a picture of the sharkmaster 300 with a date, even in black.
So I doubt that either of these are available. But contacting them is a good idea.
--
Just wrote a whole note to them on their contact page, and then it didn't send!
...and is now lost. Do you have their email address? I will write them tomorrow.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I was in touch both via [email protected] and DM on their IG page.

Let us know how that goes. Good luck!

Reactions: watchman600

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
I was in touch both via [email protected] and DM on their IG page.

Let us know how that goes. Good luck!
Hey T

I also am a big fan of the SM300.

While an original or watchco version would be great I doubt that’s a reality on my end.

I enjoyed my estoril and would probably grab another if they get produced again.

That said I am pretty sure I remember seeing you had a MKII 300...how would you say it compares with the Helson version?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I do see the SM300 in blue in their website. They show two available...
I should have been more clear.
I meant that there aren't any Sharkmaster 300s without a big triangle in blue
and there aren't any of those model (without the big triangle) even in black with a date.
I will write them and see what they say.
Thanks everyone. It seems like a beautiful watch...and worth pursuing a little.
(though I'm not feeling so good about the bracelet anymore)
---
@boatswain The Borealis Estoril DW looks quite similar, but I couldn't get any answer from them when they might be available again in a royal/cobalt blue.
And I think the Helson is probably made a lot better.
Am I right? Any info I can get before getting it, would be appreciated.
People who own this watch, do you like it? Would you recommend it?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Hey T

I also am a big fan of the SM300.

While an original or watchco version would be great I doubt that’s a reality on my end.

I enjoyed my estoril and would probably grab another if they get produced again.

That said I am pretty sure I remember seeing you had a MKII 300...how would you say it compares with the Helson version?
Hey B. I seem to have a liking for the Omega Seamaster 300 homages, like you! I remember the Estoril. It was thin and had great lume. Only downside for that one was that the bars were too close to the case which made strap changing a challenge and caused premature wear and tear on the straps I put on.

I have the MKII 300. As I said I sold off the Helson SM300. So I don't have them both at hand but I will do so from memory while it's still fresh. The MKII definitely has better fit and finish than the SM300. With the SM300 you can still feel some sharp points as the case was not as smoothly polished over. The lume on the SM300 was good but in some places was unevenly applied. Whereas the MKII has even lume but the SM300 is brighter (BGW9 vs. C3 respectively). The SM300 bezel is toothier and has a satisfying click when you turn it. I don't know how many clicks that one had. The MKII bezel is smoother so it takes more effort to grip and turn but otherwise, the bezel works fine. The SM300 case is more of a traditional SM300 while the MKII seems more modernized if that makes sense. More rounded for the latter. I liked the crown better on the SM300 as the case shields it more which I think is more old fashioned. The crown on the MKII sticks out a little more although it seems to be the same design. The Helson SM300 has a top hat crystal -- at least I think that's what you call it -- it sticks out from the case like a rounded square. The MKII has a very nice dome that follows the case.

What bothered me about the Helson was that the dial itself appeared to be much smaller compared to the rest of the case. The dial in the MKII is large and seems to make the watch bigger than it actually is. Whereas the SM300 makes it smaller.

While I appreciate the MKII and think it's well made, I think I will probably offload it in the next couple of weeks. This one came without a bracelet (which was apparently an option -- BIWI strap or bracelet) so I don't have a basis for comparison for bracelets. What I was told was that the MKII bracelet was nothing special, just heavy. The SM300 bracelet on the other hand, I liked. I especially liked the ratcheting clasp. Since I am now favoring bracelets, I think I will offload the non-bracelet MKII version I have. I don't think I'll be reacquiring a MKII 300. The Helson SM300 on the other hand... flaws aside, I really liked so I may reacquire that again.

Funnily enough, I have the NTH Odin which is another SM300 homage. I have not yet decided how I feel about it.

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
Hey B. I seem to have a liking for the Omega Seamaster 300 homages, like you! I remember the Estoril. It was thin and had great lume. Only downside for that one was that the bars were too close to the case which made strap changing a challenge and caused premature wear and tear on the straps I put on.

I have the MKII 300. As I said I sold off the Helson SM300. So I don't have them both at hand but I will do so from memory while it's still fresh. The MKII definitely has better fit and finish than the SM300. With the SM300 you can still feel some sharp points as the case was not as smoothly polished over. The lume on the SM300 was good but in some places was unevenly applied. Whereas the MKII has even lume but the SM300 is brighter (BGW9 vs. C3 respectively). The SM300 bezel is toothier and has a satisfying click when you turn it. I don't know how many clicks that one had. The MKII bezel is smoother so it takes more effort to grip and turn but otherwise, the bezel works fine. The SM300 case is more of a traditional SM300 while the MKII seems more modernized if that makes sense. More rounded for the latter. I liked the crown better on the SM300 as the case shields it more which I think is more old fashioned. The crown on the MKII sticks out a little more although it seems to be the same design. The Helson SM300 has a top hat crystal -- at least I think that's what you call it -- it sticks out from the case like a rounded square. The MKII has a very nice dome that follows the case.

What bothered me about the Helson was that the dial itself appeared to be much smaller compared to the rest of the case. The dial in the MKII is large and seems to make the watch bigger than it actually is. Whereas the SM300 makes it smaller.

While I appreciate the MKII and think it's well made, I think I will probably offload it in the next couple of weeks. This one came without a bracelet (which was apparently an option -- BIWI strap or bracelet) so I don't have a basis for comparison for bracelets. What I was told was that the MKII bracelet was nothing special, just heavy. The SM300 bracelet on the other hand, I liked. I especially liked the ratcheting clasp. Since I am now favoring bracelets, I think I will offload the non-bracelet MKII version I have. I don't think I'll be reacquiring a MKII 300. The Helson SM300 on the other hand... flaws aside, I really liked so I may reacquire that again.

Funnily enough, I have the NTH Odin which is another SM300 homage. I have not yet decided how I feel about it.
Thanks for the detailed answer!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stefan got back to me and said that he can arrange a
"12 dial" blue no date or a "12 dial" black with a date.
(even though the website shows neither)
---
I then asked him about a 12 dial blue with a date.
And a shark-mesh bracelet option, which looks amazing on this watch @Bloom
And a cobalt/royal blue option. I will let you know what he responds.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Update. I had a discussion with Helson. They said that the no date versions sold much better than the date versions which is why they're offering only no date versions right now. But they said in the "next batch" they would be offering some date versions.

I asked when the next batch would be but have yet to hear back from them. My guess would be somewhere around the Chinese New Year since they seem to have sales around those holidays.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Having owned two Watchco "12 Dial" Seamaster 300's and now a "Triangle Dial" Helson Sharkmaster 300, I have to say that the latter is FAR better as a daily driver; to wit: Drilled lugs, hacking movement, and sapphire crystal. The dial is certainly not "One to one" with the original Seamaster 300; as such, it does make it appear smaller overall...
One thing that I found off-putting about the MkII offering is the bezel insert. As a previous poster indicated, the MkII variant is a more modern interpretation all 'round, including the #'s on the bezel insert; the Sharkmaster 300 bezel insert #'s are more true to the original. My opinion is that Helson have captured all the best features of the original, while upgrading the movement, crystal, and the SO much more convenient drilled lugs. They continue to follow the homage path that they took with the Skindiver so many years ago, with its "practical upgrades" to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having owned two Watchco "12 Dial" Seamaster 300's and now a "Triangle Dial" Helson Sharkmaster 300, I have to say that the latter is FAR better as a daily driver; to wit: Drilled lugs, hacking movement, and sapphire crystal. The dial is certainly not "One to one" with the original Seamaster 300; as such, it does make it appear smaller overall...
One thing that I found off-putting about the MkII offering is the bezel insert. As a previous poster indicated, the MkII variant is a more modern interpretation all 'round, including the #'s on the bezel insert; the Sharkmaster 300 bezel insert #'s are more true to the original. My opinion is that Helson have captured all the best features of the original, while upgrading the movement, crystal, and the SO much more convenient drilled lugs. They continue to follow the homage path that they took with the Skindiver so many years ago, with its "practical upgrades" to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms...
I do agree with you there. I already have a CWC RN auto triangle so I have the military side of the original Seamaster 300 covered there, and it does work for diving (went down 31 meters with it no problem). So I went for the "12" Sharkmaster 300. Although I have heard only good things in general about the Borealis and the MKII, the above comparisons were really useful.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Stefan got back to me and said that he can arrange a
"12 dial" blue no date or a "12 dial" black with a date.
(even though the website shows neither)
---
I then asked him about a 12 dial blue with a date.
And a shark-mesh bracelet option, which looks amazing on this watch @Bloom
And a cobalt/royal blue option. I will let you know what he responds.
I still have this one and really like it. I do hope that Helson will do a “big triangle” version in vintage lume with a date though, as that is one I’ve wanted for awhile. I emailed them about it and they indicated that they might consider it for future versions.

Sent from a van down by the river...

821 - 840 of 858 Posts