WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My black dial version arrived this morning too. Really nice finishing on the case and bezel on the Turtle. Also, I really like the deeply set dial. The 120 click bezel action is perfect with crisp clicks and no back play.

For you guys that were thinking this watch would be too big because of the listed dimension..... you would be mistaken. The Turtle would work perfectly on smaller wrists. Because of the contour of the case shape and tapering bezel it actually wears like a 42mm diameter watch. And the short lug to lug length would prevent any overhang even on small wrists.

The black rubber dive strap that is included is the perfect compliment to the retro case design, (the strap is a little thin though).

The orange minute hand color is a very bright orange, almost florescent orange.

The rounded case back is super comfortable and I like the way the crown when screwed down is sunken into the case side, it does not dig into the wrist.

The mesh bracelet comes with one long extension and two short extensions. This should be able to fit even the largest wrists. Also it comes with a lot of extra spring pins.

I've got to order a 20mm black Isofrane strap, IMO it would be the perfect setup.
Dave,

As usual, thank you for the information.
I can't remember all the 44mm watches I purchased new and ended up selling.
This Helson design is something I really wanted and now feel confident that it is just what I have been looking for; a large chunky watch that isn't too much over-kill.

Bill

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Thanks for sharing your first impressions Dave.
Waiting your pics.
Enjoy it.
While you're waiting for Demo's excellent photos, here are some of #2:

Helson Turtle side.jpg Helson Turtle wet beach.jpg HelsonTurtle34.jpg

·
Registered
556 Posts
Received my #77 this morning. 5 minutes looking thru it. Have to say it's not singing to me. There are still enough differences between the SPH1000 and the Turtle.
The caseback is too thick for my wrist. Dial opening is not what I'd expected (27mm). I probably got spoiled with the current divers on the market will fatter lugs, greater dial opening. Really wanting to love the piece, but eyes doesn't do justice to the brain. Oh well.......Next...
IMAG0212.jpg IMAG0211.jpg

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Rob, great pics of #2. Mine is #4.... OK who has #3?

I wore my Turtle all day yesterday and am wearing it again today. I'm really liking this watch. I've been wearing it on the supplied rubber strap. I couldn't get a good fit with the mesh bracelet, too tight with no extensions, too loose with one extension. I'll have to get my wire cutters out when I get a chance and cut off a row of wire links on the extension to do some fine tuning on the fit.

I'm also going to try the Turtle on an Isofrane and maybe a Super Oyster bracelet.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Beautiful watch! Great pics folks!

Wondering why the caseback has to be that thick? Those thick casebacks keep a watch from hugging the wrist properly, and in my experience they tend to flop around more (I wear watches just loose enough so they don't flop around my wrist bone). I've been eyeing one of these up, but I'm on the fence about the caseback. Is the crystal slightly domed or flat?

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Beautiful watch! Great pics folks!

Wondering why the caseback has to be that thick? Those thick casebacks keep a watch from hugging the wrist properly, and in my experience they tend to flop around more (I wear watches just loose enough so they don't flop around my wrist bone). I've been eyeing one of these up, but I'm on the fence about the caseback. Is the crystal slightly domed or flat?
The crystal is flat, not domed. The watch has the same dimensions as the original, which was quite unusual for its time in that it had a 1000m WR rating (5 times the typical rating). The very beefy case conferred that water resistance. Perhaps modern technology could make the watch thinner and still 1000m WR, but then it wouldn't be an homage.

I also wear my watches loose, and I don't notice the head slipping any more than other watches which are a lot thinner (e.g.-my Sub-C).

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The crystal is flat, not domed. The watch has the same dimensions as the original, which was quite unusual for its time in that it had a 1000m WR rating (5 times the typical rating). The very beefy case conferred that water resistance. Perhaps modern technology could make the watch thinner and still 1000m WR, but then it wouldn't be an homage.

I also wear my watches loose, and I don't notice the head slipping any more than other watches which are a lot thinner (e.g.-my Sub-C).
Cool! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Number 12 showed up this morning and here are some quick & dirty pics of the Turtle alongside my RAN original. I have to say I'm really impressed and Rob's review pics are bang on as far as representing what the Turtle really looks like in hand. The fit & finish are superb and the new watch now reveals what the original looked like brand new since my original was very well used in it's service life which was rather rough..my Certina RAN restoration story here: Resurrecting A RAN Certina Dive Watch From The Dead - The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

The one detail which Peter attempted not to re-make was the very complicated push-to-turn bezel arrangement which you can see in all it's various parts in my restoration review. I'm quite happy with the bezel as it is and the Turtle's turns and clicks very smoothly indeed.

Another observation is that the hour hand is slightly larger than the original as is the rectangle on the tip of the sweep second hand. The crown also sits a bit prouder from the recess at the side of the case but I very much doubt Peter's intention was to make a 1:1 perfect replica. All the other important case details are present however which includes the nicely sunken dial & the beveled date window. I currently have the watch on the included mesh and say the bracelet really "ups" the look and the heft which isn't for the faint hearted. I'm wearing the Turtle on a 7 1/4 wrist and NEEDED to add one extra link.

Anyhow, I hope the further comparisons are helpful for those who are still undecided or wondering..

Peter hit a home run with this one and really who else is going to take on such an iconic beast and do it justice??

Cheers,

Konrad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great comparison pics Konrad and for the link to your restoration story.

My Turtle spent 24hrs moving between FedEx locations here in the UK, but should be at my door sometime today......

Here's hoping.

Regards

Beano

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've got number 5 in the mail. Can't wait. Seriously can't wait. To me Peter has made a homage of one of the best divers of all time and I for one can't wait to wear it. It looks like a winner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
#54 arrived. No pics yet. I'm too busy sizing the mesh.... Will post up later.

Looking good so far.

Regards

Beano

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Anybody bought the orange dial yet?

If so, what do you think and any pics.

Also, does anyone know if the original Certina came with an orange dial.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 66 Posts