WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To summarize the recent controversy, a poster with some credibility has recently claimed that three Helson watches he owned/a friend owned leaked. There's been some discussion about his credibility and his story. I have nothing to add on that score. But ... It seems to me one way this community could add context to this controversy is if we could share our negative Helson experiences. If I am correct there are hundreds of Helsons out there. So, is this an isolated incident, or are there many stories of leaky/faulty Helsons? If there are no others who have this problem, then we can assume it was an isolated situation. If many show up here then we have more of an issue. Does that make sense? :think:
PS: I am the proud owner of a Skindiver, which I love. So I am rooting for there to be few problems, not many!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a Shark Diver, unfortunately NOT the Shark Master or Skin Diver, but a Helson nonetheless. I've taken it on swims and snorkeling on several occasions, but only one shallow dive about 6 months ago to around 10m. Not deep diving by any stretch but still a sample experience. No problems with the watch.

I also had Jay at MCWW mod the watch a few months after the dive and asked him to do a pressure test since I do dive with my dive watches. It passed the pressure test. I'm sure if there appeared to be any issues Jay would have mentioned it.

Just a sample of one - but maybe others who have dived with their Helsons can chime in.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I have one sharkdiver, two sharkmasters, and a tortuga. None have water tightness issues.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
Have or had, Sharkdiver, Sharkmaster black, Sharkmaster blue, Tortuga, Skindiver, never had any leak of have any other problem. I do dive.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My Sharkmaster (my only Helson dive watch) has gone through about 20M deep with no issue. Nothing comparing to 40M deep of course. As far as I am concern, I am a happy camper with how my it performs thus far for me.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
not leaked or flawed but a while a go I bought a sharkmaster, there was a speck in the crystal, got a refund (I wanted a replacement instead, but for Peter was easier to refund, than send an other one, guess why.. ) not the best CS, also at the beginning he did not want to pay the return shipping, only after I insisted.. no more helson for me after that

·
Registered
684 Posts
I own a Sharkdiver Miyota and a Sharkdiver ETA. My watchmaker did a pressure test for 100 m yesterday with both watches - no problem!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. This isn't a scientific study, but we are starting to see a pattern. No leak issues being reported. I'm going to keep bumping this one up to the top each day for the week and we'll see how many comments we get.
I own a Sharkdiver Miyota and a Sharkdiver ETA. My watchmaker did a pressure test for 100 m yesterday with both watches - no problem!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I have a Sharkmaster from the pre-order and it has been fine so far, no leaks. But, it should also be mentioned that it has not gone down more than 3m. I will report back in a few weeks after I take it on some deep dives.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I have a Sharkmaster from the pre-order and it has been fine so far, no leaks. But, it should also be mentioned that it has not gone down more than 3m. I will report back in a few weeks after I take it on some deep dives.
from what I've read here recently...if the gasket is not installed or prepared properly (grease/oil), the watch will leak even in shallow water. Depth ratings have more to do with case construction, less with the gasket(s). In fact, might deeper pressure produce a tighter seal?

·
Registered
513 Posts
2 Sharkdivers, no issues. Had them in the ocean down to 15ft, worked perfectly. Planning on buying a Sharkmaster this summer.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I think those that dive with it will give the best feedback... swimming in a pool or the ocean surf is really not a test... a 50 foot rated Walmart Timex/Fossil or a 30m rated dress watch will survive that with flying colors..... The feedback that will be valuable will be those who go on a dive trip and are diving 80-150 foot dives twice a day over several days.... I would guess IF the Helson's have been tested to their rated depth then I would guess that they will perform admirably just as any other brand tested as such... of course with an occasional failure that can happen with any watch or dive computer from time to time for a variety of reasons.

I always dive my Citizen 20th Aqualand as my back up... only 200m rated and has never let me down... Anything rated over 200-300m is simply bragging rights in my opinion (which does have some coolness factor I admit)... but if it states a rating then a watch should be proven/tested to handle that depth. The depth printed on a dial is only worth what it is capable of doing or it is just words...

*** by the way don't own a Helson, and certainly don't care one way or the other other than just general watch interest on the subject and I am a avid diver. I have always been curious across the board (no brand in particular) about the extreme depth ratings on so many watches and micros... given the fact that most dive specific watches and computers (Citizen Aqualands, Suunto, and most dive computers) are only rated 200m or maybe 300m... I have always wondered why they don't rate/test them any deeper since 500m-1000m cases are so easy to source these days... (I am guessing simply b/c it is not needed)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Actually, we can apply statistical analysis to the numbers we have here and get a fair idea of the probability of failures for watches made/sold prior to this incident back in December last year.

Based on the assumption that there were 500 watches in this lot (5 lines each with 100 watches in each line), about 29 watches may exhibit some form of failure.

Of course with a sample size of 22 units, our confidence in this number is not all that good....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An excellent way of looking at it. Although I would point out that the one "flaw" out of the posters so far was a speck on the crystal. Not a fail during a dive.

Actually, we can apply statistical analysis to the numbers we have here and get a fair idea of the probability of failures for watches made/sold prior to this incident back in December last year.

Based on the assumption that there were 500 watches in this lot (5 lines each with 100 watches in each line), about 29 watches may exhibit some form of failure.

Of course with a sample size of 22 units, our confidence in this number is not all that good....

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I have/had three Helson watches and none of them have leaked or had any flaws of any kind. I have been 100% satisfied with the quality of the watches and customer service from Peter. As a matter of fact I know I would be a repeat customer. Everyone has their own opinions, my opinion is completely positive.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
To summarize the recent controversy, a poster with some credibility has recently claimed that three Helson watches he owned/a friend owned leaked. There's been some discussion about his credibility and his story.
Why are you, or anyone else, questioning his credibility? He's a know member here. A professional diver. He backed up his statement several times, with real tests. Helson recognized the issue. What more do you guys need?!?!

In the end we will all benefit from his tests. I'm sure Helson, after this story, will improve its QC.

He did a more positive contribution than most of us. Helson, like all the small boutique watch companies, need guys like him. Guys who take diving seriously.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts