WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An odd one for me. A smaller men's watch from the 30s I believe.

1149.jpg
Not to bad under the crystal. The second hand was lose but was easy to put back.

1150.jpg
This actually surprised me. The case is made of thick stainless steal so it must have been a expensive watch in the day.

1151.jpg
The movement has chock protection of some kind but first time I have seen this one.

I found a similar Helvetia on the bay but they are asking silly money for it but then maybe I should as well so give me $300 and it could be yours...;-)
Vintage Helvetia Military Pilot Watch from The 1930'S | eBay

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I wouldn't want to insult a friend by only offering $300.

An odd one for me. A smaller men's watch from the 30s I believe.

View attachment 5125922
Not to bad under the crystal. The second hand was lose but was easy to put back.

View attachment 5125930
This actually surprised me. The case is made of thick stainless steal so it must have been a expensive watch in the day.

View attachment 5125938
The movement has chock protection of some kind but first time I have seen this one.

I found a similar Helvetia on the bay but they are asking silly money for it but then maybe I should as well so give me $300 and it could be yours...;-)
Vintage Helvetia Military Pilot Watch from The 1930'S | eBay

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
$400...SOLD!!!

Na, one wonders how anyone could make a watch like this into some military pilot watch?

My watch is even more special as it was on the wrist of one of the pilots in the 1933 New York big ape incident where he tragically got to close to the mammal and was squashed like a bug in his plane. The watch survived the fall however thanks to it's heavy stainless steel casing and only suffered some minor cracks in the crystal and the second hand was knocked loose.

Now if you believe that...

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well, of course I believe you. But will you guarantee its authenticity? Some kind of certificate, possibly with some gold foiled lettering would work for me. Don't change the glass, it's authentic, too. And knock that hand off again, will you? I want it just the way it was when the archeologists found it in tucked up under the controls of Lindbergh's plane.

$400...SOLD!!!

Na, one wonders how anyone could make a watch like this into some military pilot watch?

My watch is even more special as it was on the wrist of one of the pilots in the 1933 New York big ape incident where he tragically got to close to the mammal and was squashed like a bug in his plane. The watch survived the fall however thanks to it's heavy stainless steel casing and only suffered some minor cracks in the crystal and the second hand was knocked loose.

Now if you believe that...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, of course I believe you. But will you guarantee its authenticity? Some kind of certificate, possibly with some gold foiled lettering would work for me. Don't change the glass, it's authentic, too. And knock that hand off again, will you? I want it just the way it was when the archeologists found it in tucked up under the controls of Lindbergh's plane.
Heck I'll even get honest Abe to sign the certificate for you with one of them sparkling Barbie pens then I can climb to the top of the Empire state building and drop it as to recreate the damage.

Did you know that Himmler sent a team of pygmy SS men to the US just before the war to find it? The watch would have made Der Führer invincable against the French but thank God he didn't get his wrist on it!!! They got lost in the underground and were never seen again and are to this day hunted by the Immigration Services and the IRS.

If you live in or visit New York and happen on one of these little SS men be a patriot and contact the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Looks a good all original piece with no signs of shoddy tinkering going on,great score!

(i tend to look at the stem release screw,and if it has been "counter sunk" by the wrong size of screwdriver being used,usually a sure sign that some one less qualified has been in there,but this one looks good.)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Yes, indeed, joking aside, it's lovely watch. I'd love to see how it comes up with a new crystal. And the strap… are these chain straps really popular in Sweden or something? I seem to see them all the time there, never elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, indeed, joking aside, it's lovely watch. I'd love to see how it comes up with a new crystal. And the strap… are these chain straps really popular in Sweden or something? I seem to see them all the time there, never elsewhere.
They sure were and I have a bunch of them if you want and they are massive steal but they grow on you and are very comfy. I could see the police confiscating a watch with this type of bracelet though as they can be used as weapons. The early ones like this one are the ones to get as they are hocked on to one of the spring bars or as on many watches of the day fixed strap holders making it very rugged. The later chains have clasps like modern bracelets and don't look as cool.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Heck I'll even get honest Abe to sign the certificate for you with one of them sparkling Barbie pens then I can climb to the top of the Empire state building and drop it as to recreate the damage.

Did you know that Himmler sent a team of pygmy SS men to the US just before the war to find it? The watch would have made Der Führer invincable against the French but thank God he didn't get his wrist on it!!! They got lost in the underground and were never seen again and are to this day hunted by the Immigration Services and the IRS.

If you live in or visit New York and happen on one of these little SS men be a patriot and contact the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423).
You got that all wrong. The watch was found. How do you think somebody could have escaped to Argentina and had lived there unnoticed until 1979? It had been sold a few years later at an auction in Buenos Aires to someone who was never seen again thereafter.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Do they have Hell's Angels there? ;-)

"They sure were and I have a bunch of them if you want and they are massive steal but they grow on you and are very comfy. I could see the police confiscating a watch with this type of bracelet though as they can be used as weapons. The early ones like this one are the ones to get as they are hocked on to one of the spring bars or as on many watches of the day fixed strap holders making it very rugged. The later chains have clasps like modern bracelets and don't look as cool."

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Fantastic piece but I would not polish it! If you do you may lose the beautiful edges of this case. Congratulations!
Thanks! It is a bit different but it grows on you with it's special shape. I meant the crystal needs some polishing at the edges so it needs to come out again. The movement is problematic but when it runs it only loses between 50 to 100 second per day according to the timing machine but I haven't take a close look at it yet so it could just be dirt that is the problem.

I am a bit hesitant to service it though as I just don't have the parts if something needs changing or if I misplace some part.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I bet it's a cheap china made quartz movement inside. :)
This one is for hitting into the side window of a car that comes to close when overtaking. You wouldn't want to do this with a Patek Philippe inside.

I like those delicate and thin 1,5mm double flange spring bars, nicely exposed by the short straps. Winding might become somewhat painful with these pins sticking out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts