WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my demands…

Ok, perhaps these are more “hopes and dreams”…

I’ve been saving up for my next watch purchase, but unlike some of the lesser expenditures of the past, this is a unique opportunity for me to buy something a bit more “upscale”. This will be a stretch for me, so as most WIS do, I want to maximize bang-for-buckness. It’s the “something” part that makes this most difficult; I have many somethings on my list that span the cost range but for this purchase, I’m ignoring them.

Working with a ~ $3K budget, I’d like to get the best tool watch possible. I want something that I can wear, no matter what, without the fear of surface/internal damage - something you’d want on your wrist when stranded in a harsh environment. To that, I understand the limitations of mechanical timepieces in general/at this price point, so please, no lectures on buying quartz or doubling my budget.

In order of importance, my wants are:

• auto or handwound
  • a hardcore case that won’t scratch easily
  • good anti-shock
  • good anti-magnetic
  • chronograph
  • minimum 200M water resistance
  • decent lume/night legibility
Others:

• nothing shiny
  • dive bezel optional
  • OEM strap is of little concern as it will get thick rubber or kevlar
Thus far, research is leaning me in the direction of a Sinn 757 UTC. I have considered a Damasko DC66 but aesthetics and the 100M WR keeps bringing me back to the Sinn despite such pluses as the tougher bezel insert & ice hardening process of the 66.

Are there any other brands in my price range that have specially treated & hardened cases? I’m not against DLC but prefer the color of natural steel over IP black. What about Marathon's offerings against the above?

I’m just kind of throwing this out there, hoping your collective wisdom can add fuel to the fire…so what ‘cha got?

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Re: Here are my demands…

the sinn diapal. supposed to be a watch thats almost service free. I've seen dlc get scratched. the only other hard cased watch is a damasko.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

What about a Ball Instruments?

regards,
Ilham
Hi Ilham,

I think Ball makes *great* watches, but other than the EM II Diver TMT Limited Edition, nothing really fits the bill. And at that, the TMT is awesome but I'd trade in the temp gauge for a chronograph! If only Ball had a case treatment similar to Sinn/Damasko... |>

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts

I was going to say Seiko Marine Master or Citizen AutoZilla until I noticed the chronograph function. I'd go for a Flightmaster but it isn't a hardened case and 200m WR.
From what I have read, Sinn and Damasko are probably the closest you will get, except maybe for a Seiko Spring Drive.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Griff, I appreciate the suggestions. As a matter of fact, the Autozilla is one of the "somethings" on my list. It's a great piece! |>

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the sinn diapal. supposed to be a watch thats almost service free. I've seen dlc get scratched. the only other hard cased watch is a damasko.
yamahaki, thanks for the info. I always thought DLC was even better than the Sinn/Damasko case treatments. Good to know |>

·
Registered
749 Posts

Weird. When I was reading your requirements I was thinking Sinn or Damasko and then kept reading and saw you were too. I would not look any further. And I would not swear off 100m water resistance. I swim and shower in 100m watches, so far so good. With that much money on my wrist though, I am sure I would still want a beater.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts

I wouldn't let the 100M WR deter you - its fine for pretty much every normal situation. You aren't going deep sea diving with it, so you don't need diver specs. You won't go wrong with Sinn, Damasko (might be a wait on those), or UTS. The are all pretty tough watches. If you are worried about scratches, get something with a dive bezel - the bezel will take the dings and protect the crystal, esp if the crystal has an outer AR coat. If the bezel gets too dinged up, you could always buy a new bezel and replace it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks guys. I'm trying not to get hung up on WR specs as you're all right, I'll never see those depths. I really like some of UTS offerings, the 500 & 1000 are within budget, but they lack much of the technical sophistication I'm looking for. :-s

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts

I know you are looking for auto, otherwise I would be endorsing a Casio Pathfinder/Protrek or a Citizen Eco. I wish I bought the Autozilla though I am happy with my Ecozilla.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

A fair bit over budget (but not wildly so):
http://professionalwatches.com/2008/02/post.html
I own 2 Damaskos and I'd certainly not take any comparable Sinn over them. Both are amazingly accurate for autos.
Tragic, is one of them a DC66 or 67? Your thoughts on why they trump Sinn?

Ooohhhh...me likey thems Bremonts. They are the former Bear Grylls watch, yes? I completely missed the "hardened stainless steel case" - wonder what methodology they use and how it compares to the competition?

Hard to spend the extra jing on a relatively unknown product though...:think:

:thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts

... other than the EM II Diver TMT Limited Edition, nothing really fits the bill. And at that, the TMT is awesome but I'd trade in the temp gauge for a chronograph! ...
There is also a GMT with similar case treatment and specifications. The EM II Diver GMT will arrive at retailers within the next week or two.

Specs include:
300m WR
5,000Gs shock resistance
4,800 A/m antimagnetic resistance
53 micro gas tubes on dial, hands & inner bezel

More details may be found in our forum: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=183111

Best Regards,
Jeremy

·
Registered
13,407 Posts

Tragic, is one of them a DC66 or 67? Your thoughts on why they trump Sinn?

Ooohhhh...me likey thems Bremonts. They are the former Bear Grylls watch, yes? I completely missed the "hardened stainless steel case" - wonder what methodology they use and how it compares to the competition?

Hard to spend the extra jing on a relatively unknown product though...:think:

:thanks
I've got a 36 and a 57.
A 67 on order more than a yr. now.
As for vs. Sinn, I trust the ice hardening case method more and the accuracy is near spot on, right out of the box, as I mentioned.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks Tragic. I've tracked down some of your posts and your experience is appreciated & very valuable in this regard.

I've had initial email contact with Greg Stein @ watchmann.com...the magic 8 balls says "signs do not look good".

As I've not yet made up my mind, I'm trying to weigh the virtue of patience against, well, everything else! o|

1 - 16 of 16 Posts