WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of sleepless nights in the forums, I decided to finally pull the trigger on a 2nd gen x-33 2 weeks and now that I finally have it, it's time to get "strapped" as usual to preserve the flawless titanium bracelet that came with the good as new x-33 that i received :-!

My first thought was immediately Otto Frei and his abundance of well priced x-33 strap options but as I have been burned by buying super expensive straps in the past for watches that I eventually flipped for new purchases, I've decided to hold off on any major strap purchases until I'm sure this one's a keeper.

So instead of taking a $500+ hit on a coramide and a red and green kevlar right away, I swept for options online for 3 consecutive nights to find the best alternatives to use for the meantime.

I already have 3x 18mm OEM Omega buckles (2 regular and 1 deployant) so I was just after the straps themselves.

Here are the 3 straps that I wanted to buy initially (photos borrowed from otto frei)

coramide.jpg

red.jpg

green.jpg

....and these are my temporary alternatives:

First, for the coramide, I got the Speed Carbon from Morellato. The ribbing goes all the way unlike the half ribbed coramide but for the price, I was able to get the black and red version for less than $60. I wanted to go all the way and get the yellow and the blue one as well but I want to see the quality in real life first...

Speed.jpg

Next, for the red kevlar, I found one from Morellato as well called the Red Cordura....

Cordura.jpg

Finally, a surprise find! I had a harder time looking for a green strap that matched the shade of green on the OEM green kevlar but just as I was about to call off the search, I found this OEM Seiko strap with the same 20/18mm sizing in Thailand!!!

Seiko.jpg

In total, I spent a modest $100 for all 4 straps. Far cry from the $500+ I would have coughed out from going OEM right away but these will do for now...If the x-33 passes the 3 month test then that's when it's time to consider the OEMs. Who knows..maybe these straps will even be good enough..we'll have to wait and see..

By the way, none of them have arrived yet so I can't really give you an honest review on the quality of these straps. If anyone has used these straps before, let us know :)

Happy holidays to everyone!!!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Good post. I like the options you chose. I think straps are a great place to save, by the way. Some of us have more financial resources than others, and I think you can get very nicely made (and good looking) non-OEM strap for a mere fraction of the cost of a branded one. I even buy non-branded butterfly deployants for around $12 each. It just makes more financial sense to me personally. This way I can have multiple bands and straps for each watch, and still have funds left over for that next watch I have my eye on, as opposed to spending it on deployants and bands.

Anyway, like what you did here.

Reactions: Pee Dee

·
6,880 Posts
Cool! Be sure to post some pics when you get them in.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice! I like it :) I bet it would look great on my x-lander military too! specially this one..

sub_ggb_back.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

I ordered a GasGasBones strap for my X-33, it's super comfortable and cost less than 50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys..will take some photos and compare them with OEM wristshots when i get them :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I burned through two of the original OEM kevlar straps. They are not made to last at all. Here is my current set up. I like the 20/20 sizing on this strap, it gives the X-33 a bolder look. I chose a brushed SS deployant clasp to match the titanium case.

DSC02604.JPG
DSC02602.JPG

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Found this thread when being pointed towards it via the TZ-UK forum. I wear my Gen1 on a Gasgasbones:

Menno

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi Bob
Really like that strap combo - can you advise info on what brand & where can be found? (inc deployment)
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
In the same boat here with the X-33 G2 I just got and a bracelet I want to preserve...and I'm between links to it's a tad uncomfortable, be it too loose or to tight.

@Pee Dee - how were these bracelets like when you received them? Would you recommend them all? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Well "Pee Dee" was kind enough to pass on his unused green and red straps mentioned in the first thread above and the green one actually works very well with the X-33 as seen below not in the least because it complements the greenish color of the LCD. The only downside is that the buckle is 20mm so the 18mm buckle of the X-33 kevlar can't be used.

No pics of the red strap sorry but while it works ok, it's a tad less thick and "smoother" so isn't as good a fit I would say.

To go full circle I might try the Speed Carbon from Morellato in yellow but ideally I'd like to find a curved ends strap that would work with the X-33!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I have an X-33 Gen 2 on the way (military squadron order). It will still be a couple months, but I have already been shopping for straps. That olive strap does indeed look great. I have already ordered a black Morellato Speed Carbon. I figure it might look nice on the X-33 or a couple of my other watches (I only own three).

One if the things I like about the X-33 is the fact so many straps look great with it. If you get any new strap ideas, be sure to post some pics.

1) Rolex GMT Master II (coke bezel)
2) Tudor Submariner (blue dial)
3) Breitling B-1 Superquartz (black dial)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Sure thing! It's back on the bracelet now and looking great.

I didn't really like how it looked on the curved G1 kevlar/coramyde (sp?), a bit "sad" for lack of a better word. It could be because it was past its prime.

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours on the Speed Carbon, I might still get the yellow one at some point!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I have an X-33 Gen 2 on the way (military squadron order). It will still be a couple months, but I have already been shopping for straps. That olive strap does indeed look great. I have already ordered a black Morellato Speed Carbon. I figure it might look nice on the X-33 or a couple of my other watches (I only own three).

One if the things I like about the X-33 is the fact so many straps look great with it. If you get any new strap ideas, be sure to post some pics.
I've tried mine briefly on NATO and a Di Modell Rallye, but I'm enough of a fan of the OEM Coramide (love those fitted ends) that I've never even sized my bracelet!

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
169 Posts
caseback x33.jpeg front x33.jpeg

I finally received my new X-33 via a squadron order that began in June 2012. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the photos. I just took the pics with my camera phone. Many of you guys post the most excellent photos of your watches. The pictures on this tread just made me anticipate the watch even more.

I must say I really love the bracelet on the watch. While anticipating the arrival, I have been passively shopping for strap options. Now that I have the watch, I think I want to enjoy the bracelet for a while. I love the detail and the dark color of the titanium. I'm happy to join the X33 club.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts