WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I like 24hr watches.
But, naturally, I also have some favorite 12hr styles too. I'm a big U-Boat fan. They're big, bold, and present themselves with such a no-nonsense look.

Weeeeelllll, here's a step into the U-Boat style 24hr direction!

Chotovelli 5900-YW1 47mm for just 185 Euros!

Now if I could just get a black face with red numbers!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And they come in either 47mm or 52mm!

I LIKE!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOO HOO! Here it is in BLACK!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm outta control!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another nice Chotovelli:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Look.....

I love 24 hr watches. And I love money.

I have plenty of time per day, but not enough money. <grin!>

I don't care if I happen to loose 10-30 seconds per year because of the quartz movement! I'll take that. I'll also take this look that fits my budget.

Here's the other that I really like:

Can anyone possibly convince me that Quartz is NOT the way to go?

·
3,627 Posts
Those aren't 24 hour watches, are they? To me they look like 12 hour watches with the main indices marked in military time.
Not that I disaprove of them, just trying to get the terminology straight.

Quartz...
If I liked quartz that's all I would wear. Especially something light powered...darn things will NEVER die :)
Fact is, though, after decades wearing mechanical watches I can't handle the jerky tick tick tick every second of quartz watches. The seconds hand must be smoother than that for me. It's purely an aesthetic reason. Functionally and cost-wise, quartz is the logical choice.

Then there's the intellectual attraction. I like mechanical watches because even though they are incredibly complex marvels with tiny moving parts, I can just about figure out how they work. Quartz isn't something that can be "assembled" or "repaired"...their movements are usually tossed out and replaced at servicing. As we used to say in Architecture school...it lacks elegance.
I relate it to people today and their cars...They don't know how their car works and couldn't care less. They just want it to go from A to B. Me, on the other hand, like a car that handles. I like to modify it. I like to know the systems. I like to get under the hood and get dirty taking care of routine maintenance. To me, that's the essence of quartz vs. mechanical.

P.S. I owned an Omega X-33 for a while but sold it. Loved the functions, design and titanium. Couldn't ask for more in a watch functionally. I just couldn't handle the "quartziness" of it ;-)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't necessarily disagree..

Ok. Look.....
I love 24 hr watches. And I love money..I have plenty of time per day, but not enough money. <grin!>
With your justification, but would go for 1 lower end automatic, than to have several mid-tier quartz watches, that's just me though.. Once you've had a second hand the glides it's hard to go back to that tick-tick-tick.. The second hand never quite lines up with the markers around the face on a quartz watch and it just drives me nuts.. I tried to leave automatics and go back into the land of quartz, but I ended up with an automatic back on my wrist.. About the only non-true automatic (and I hesitate to say that about this watch) I have owned and would own again would be the Spring Drive Seiko's, had the marine maser spring drive 600 diver.. no problem with tick-tick-tick there, it had the best sweeping second hand. That watch is the only one I would compromise my automatic lust for. It is an automatic, just the next step, but never a full quartz again, seconds in my life don't tick-tick-tick by, they glide by.. :)

·
3,627 Posts
Amen, brother.
I'm mesmorized by the Spring Drive second hand. Feel free to email me with your thoughts on the 600m (can't usually handle a watch that large, but in titanium it might work for me)
[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gary....I am also into this style watch.....but I am gonna get a true Uboat. I reallllly like the idea of 47mm, because the 50, 53, and 55 are just to big for me. But, still after much debate im going with the 45 black dial lefty Uboat.

I like these but they are a copy, and also as noted above I do really started liking automatics myself. Im excited though, there is only a few people around here selling them and even though they are taking off, its still limited to some degree. I was dead set on an Oris F1 williams 45mm but I really like this watch alot so Im 95% yes to the Uboat......im excited about it too. The only down side is the new-ness of the company itself but its a fashion watch and for the price (starting at 100usd) it is what it is :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts