WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find that non WIS will most probably notice a DJ and associate it with Rolex and being expensive more than the sport models.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Has anyone here had to overcome a hesitancy to wear a Rolex on a regular basis because they were worried that it might give the wrong impression in the workplace?

For me, I work in an office setting full of engineers and other professionals, some with master's degrees and PhDs. But I have NEVER noticed anyone wearing a luxury watch. I wear a Speedmaster Automatic most days and I feel it flies under the radar and I don't feel self-conscience about it. I wonder if wearing a Rolex would give a bad impression though. But I really would like to buy and have a Rolex, but only if I could justify wearing it on a regular basis.

Am I being silly and over-concerned?

P.S. my boss doesn't even wear a watch and his boss wears an Apple Watch.
You currently wear a Speedy, thats a fine watch. From my experience the majority of people do not notice watches. I think you are in your own head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A FedEx freight truck driver delivered to our warehouse last week. I noticed he was wearing a Tag Carrera 5. He said he'd wore it for two years and took some flak from other drivers but didn't care. He wore a DateJust for 15 years before. We talked about watches for a minute and it was a great way to establish connection.

I don't mention my Oyster to anyone unless they also wear an enthusiast watch. Even then I find lots of people wear a luxury watch because they got it as a present and don't really care about the history or craftsmanship. Most people wear watches to show time or as costume jewelry.

The majority of people I work with present their affluence/devotion through vehicles. So if someone disparages my choice of wearing a Rolex I can easily point out they just took a seven year, $70,000 loan on a quickly depreciating Chevy Suburban they'll use to make Starbucks runs LoL.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
1 one simple excuse that can be used to tell others who flak at the expensive piece on ur wrist, is to tell them it's an anniversary gift from the love ones back home. Of course, one of the prerequisites is that u're not single loner in life.

Reactions: FarmKid

·
Registered
477 Posts
People with master's degrees and PhDs in engineering who are *not* into watches are the exact types of people who have considered buying themselves a Rolex for a professional milestone. They are at least somewhat familiar with the catalog. They will be able to recognize most models.

If you show up wearing a 36mm SS DateJust, they'll think, that's nice, got himself a Rolex.

If you show up wearing a Milgauss, the Rolex watch for engineers, they'll think that's badass. They all want a Milgauss, they are just too practical to spend the money. But a Milgauss will increase your status among the engineers at your work, as long as you are not noticeably a big spender in other areas (practical car, etc.). Engineers like practicality, but they also like cool stuff, and a Milgauss is very cool to an engineer.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Buy it, wear it, own them.

Do not be afraid. Once you wear a Rolex, doors will open and promotions will come your way. Walk tall and you will soon be ordering your engineers, PhD engineers around.

All the girls in the office will be admiring you and you will get request for dates from all the hot chicks.

Live the life of a Man of Rolex.
Can confirm. Wore an Omega for years, got barked at by the engineers and PhDs and the chicks rolled their eyes at me.

Just got a Pepsi GMT, and I already got offered a corner office and the secretary invited me over for dinner tonight?

Go on then mate, go be a Rolex man with the rest of us.

·
Banned
24 Posts
and the secretary invited me over for dinner tonight?

Cringe, Lol. You’re attracting the wrong type of woman and you (or anyone else for that matter) would be deluding themselves if they think differently. I mean, a counterfeit rolly would basically have the same effect on a vapid superficial woman, would it not? Save yourself the trouble if that’s your end-game strategy. You don’t dip your pen in company ink...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Just wear and enjoy your watch. Nobody will care or notice :)

Reactions: FarmKid

·
Registered
142 Posts
You've worked hard to be at a point you can consider buying one, go for it. You only live once. Can't wait to get mine :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
OP I know what you mean. I don’t wear rolexes around my in-laws and to business meetings where it will be the first time I’m meeting them. Around the work place I wear any of my ss watches but very rarely anything gold.

My work Rolex is a ss dj36 smooth on oyster. About as low key as you can get.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Buy it, wear it, own them.

Do not be afraid. Once you wear a Rolex, doors will open and promotions will come your way. Walk tall and you will soon be ordering your engineers, PhD engineers around.

All the girls in the office will be admiring you and you will get request for dates from all the hot chicks.

Live the life of a Man of Rolex.
This is the way.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hard to tell without knowing your office better. Will it give a bad impression? Maybe to some people.

Some won't notice, some will notice and not feel any particular way about it, some will think it's awesome, some will think you're an idiot for spending that much money on a watch.

Can't do much about that. Question is, will it bother you?

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Can confirm. Wore an Omega for years, got barked at by the engineers and PhDs and the chicks rolled their eyes at me.

Just got a Pepsi GMT, and I already got offered a corner office and the secretary invited me over for dinner tonight?

You get the idea!

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Cringe, Lol. You’re attracting the wrong type of woman and you (or anyone else for that matter) would be deluding themselves if they think differently. I mean, a counterfeit rolly would basically have the same effect on a vapid superficial woman, would it not? Save yourself the trouble if that’s your end-game strategy. You don’t dip your pen in company ink...
Why not? He will get the prom queen, the most desirable secretary in the office that everyone drools over.

He will turn up at company events and business functions with a hot trophy wife next to him. His colleagues will be filled with envy and gnashing their teeth. Clients will notice him and he will drive business deals.

His Bosses will only see him as a great success and promote him to C suite level and become Captain of Industry.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just do it!

Guys at all levels in my company wear them. One inherited, one prefers watches over bass boats and hunting trips, etc.

Fear not fellow WUSman.

41 - 60 of 380 Posts