WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awed by the responsiveness of this forum! That said, back to topic.
I have another watch that I haven't been able to find much about. There is a listing in what I think is a dictionary of Swiss watchmakers, but I don't know French. The watch belonged to my great grandfather, and I presume it was given to him as a boy (or birth present?) because of its small size and some of the scratches that could only have been made by a child. It looks gold in the photos but is gray silver in person.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,166 Posts
Well, I can't say much about that one. I can't find anything on Hess & Metford andt hey may well have been a very minor maker. The movement is certainly ca. 1880, give or take a decade, and is a moderately pedestrian cylindre escapement movement with eight stones ("huit rubis" - the minimum was four for this type of movement, the maximum was ten). It is key wound and set. It may well have been made in the Swiss cottage industry, i.e. the bits made by many farmers and assembled by the end maker. It is notoriously difficult to find out anything more about such calibres so your only hope would be for some maker's stamp under the dial. Otherwise, just concentrate on Hess & Metford. Good luck!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Hartmut Richter. What you've said is far more than I knew before. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reference, Marrick! It's a surprise to see where the partnership is mentioned. Running the French I found earlier through a google translation program resulted in this:

HESS & METFORD Successeurs de la Maison Hess et .... 1840-1860. Fabricants et marchands horlogers. Montres compliquées très soignées destinées au marché américain. Signent une montre à échappement à force constante et une deuxième à heures tactiles. Mentionné à Genève en 1866.

HESS & Metford Successors of Hess and .... House 1840-1860. Watch manufacturers and merchants. Very neat complicated watches for the American market. Sign shows constant-force escapement and a second touch- hours. Mentioned in Geneva in 1866.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts