WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Hexa K500 for almost 8 months and can say now, as I did when I first got the watch that I think it is a first edition winner! The style and design was the appeal that led me to pre-order the watch. Once it arrived I liked the looks even better than in photos. After the bracelet was sized I quickly grew to appreciate the diver extension of the bracelet for the times during the day when my wrist changes sizes. My Hexa K500 is a regular in my watch rotation. If anyone did not pre-order, I think there are still watches available. BTW, I am not affiliated with Hexa watch company in any way, I'm just a very happy Hexa owner.

I got the brushed finish on my K500 as tiny blemishes can be cleaned up with the brushed finish. I have not had to do any cleaning up so far. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I agree Bill as I have had my Hexa K500 for over 5 months and it really grows on you. Now that Im switching out bands more I find this watch works really well with a NATO bands. When the weather warms up I will switch it out back over on the bracelet it came with. Your pictures look great! This is a watch you just have to try on to appreciate.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Bill as I have had my Hexa K500 for over 5 months and it really grows on you. Now that Im switching out bands more I find this watch works really well with a NATO bands. When the weather warms up I will switch it out back over on the bracelet it came with. Your pictures look great! This is a watch you just have to try on to appreciate.
You are right, WatchDialOrange, you have to try it on to fully appreciate the K500. I have not tried mine on anything except the OEM bracelet, but bet it would be great on a NATO or ZULU strap. Thanks for the kind words on my pics.

BTW, your orange Doxa avatar looks great. I have a 1200T Professional and am crazy about it. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drop of a Hat, your K500 with the black bezel looks great. I bet you will miss that watch. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you gentlemen noticed how much the K500 resembles the Sinn U1 and U1 SDR? For around 1/3 the price of a Sinn, the Hexa is a great value. I'm crazy about my Sinn watches, but think the Hexa is a great watch for the money. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Drop of a Hat, your K500 with the black bezel looks great. I bet you will miss that watch. Cheers, Bill P.
It went to a fantastic Air Force vet and close friend who gives it more love and wear than I ever could.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You are right, WatchDialOrange, you have to try it on to fully appreciate the K500. I have not tried mine on anything except the OEM bracelet, but bet it would be great on a NATO or ZULU strap. Thanks for the kind words on my pics.

BTW, your orange Doxa avatar looks great. I have a 1200T Professional and am crazy about it. Cheers, Bill P.
Yes Bill Try Jays Natos at natostrapco.com great selection of bands and really comfortable! Here is recent pic of my Hexa at Yellowstone on a Nato strap.

Hexa.JPG

Doxa avatar is a Doxa 1500T wish I still had. But have 2 Doxas 4000T & 750 Searambler that I will never sell. Thx Gary

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I go to NatoStrapCo for all my Natos and Zulus. Jay rocks socks and his promotions right now are insane.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't recommend washing your Hexa in the washing machine! :-d Cheers, Bill P.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, David! I always sync my watches using an atomic/solar Casio G-Shock! :-! Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I have sister model Q500 and posted these observations on the K500 review on Ablogtowatch:

The movement is the same as the one in the justly famous Seiko Sumo, where it proves to be dependable and rather accurate. It is a step up from their 7s (and now 4r) series movements.
In essence this K500 offers a more toolish boutique alternative to the more dressed Sumo at a slighlty higher price (depending on how you procure a Sumo).
The looks indeed echo some aspects of Sinn, but it is really not an homage. I like the blocky looks of markers and hands, and that the date doesn't overlap with a marker.

I was very tempted by it, and would likely have taken the plunge if the all-sandblasted version were still available.
In the end I took advantage of their irresistible introductory pricing of its sister model Q500 - same case, grey dial, grey rubber strap and a Miyota quartz movement. At a launch price a hair below $300 - totally tempting for an impulse buy! Now it is slightly more expensive but still ok. And it comes in a great box!
Yes, yes, automatic is more cool but to be frank I have already so many mechanical watches I need to wind and set before use, so having something that is always at the ready is a fun extra in the collection.
Also, with the quartz variant the somewhat counterintuitive crown operation isn't important as you'll rarely need to touch it.

The sandblasted case, grey dial and grey strap of the Q500 make for a look that is at the same time subdued yet very technical.
I think that the lower contrast of the dial makes it less perfect for real diving but for people like me who just swim it doesn't matter.
I also bought the green strap (didn't try it yet).
a fun detail that was not mentioned in the great review here is that the rubber straps are vanilla scented !

General quality of the Q500 seems nice enough - I expect it is virtually the same as the K500 in this respect.
The Lüm-tec lume works reasonably well, better than most, but once again my Sumo and Monster are still the best in this respect !
The toothy bezel is fun to grasp but turning it actually feels cheaper than the sumptous action of the Sumo bezel. But, nothing to worry about.
It is, as also noted in the review of the K500, very comfortable to wear with its rubber strap.

So, all in all the Q500 (and I expect the K500 as well of course) is a very nice leisure time and diving watch if you like the technical design - I know I do.
Quality / finish / price is convincing for a boutique brand, and both Japanese movements should be superbly reliable in their own way.

There are some other attractive boutique brand alternatives in the same pricing range, think Squale Atmos 20 series, Vostok Europe Anchar, certain Steinharts, etc but none to my knowledge have that specific, very German technical look.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
MrDagon007, thanks for sharing your thoughts on your new Q500 Hexa. Please post some pics.

The Q500 should be a great watch and the price is certainly right! Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's nice to hear back from some of our early supporters and get some perspective after extended wear - thanks everyone! Also wanted to share this - Oceanic Time is hosting a Q500 giveaway - winner to be announced 8/28. Please feel free to share amongst forum and social media outlets.
Details here:
OceanicTime: HEXA Watches Q500 GIVEAWAY

-Tonya

1 - 17 of 17 Posts