WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being a Breitling Chronomat GT owner and having just purchased a Seiko Marine Master 600m Spring Drive, I was somewhat shocked to see a former Montbrillant Datora owner trade-in this watch for the 600m Spring Drive. I personally would not trade in my current Breitling for a Seiko. Here's a link to his post. http://worleyphoto.com/watch/seiko_sbdb001_review.html
I actually like the Montbrillant and would consider adding it to my collection. I just found out that he now has traded-in the MM SD for a Grand Seiko GMT Spring Drive. I just wanted to get your take on this one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
isn't this like going to rob a neiman marcus to fund a purchase at walmart lol

Being a Breitling Chronomat GT owner and having just purchased a Seiko Marine Master 600m Spring Drive, I was somewhat shocked to see a former Montbrillant Datora owner trade-in this watch for the 600m Spring Drive. I personally would not trade in my current Breitling for a Seiko. Here's a link to his post. http://worleyphoto.com/watch/seiko_sbdb001_review.html
I actually like the Montbrillant and would consider adding it to my collection. I just found out that he now has traded-in the MM SD for a Grand Seiko GMT Spring Drive. I just wanted to get your take on this one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Some prices

Actually here are some price points hankr. The Seiko Marine Master 600m Spring Drive costs about $3000. The Breitling Montbrillant Datora about $4000. And the Grand Seiko GMT Spring Drive is $5000.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Re: Some prices

Actually here are some price points hankr. The Seiko Marine Master 600m Spring Drive costs about $3000. The Breitling Montbrillant Datora about $4000. And the Grand Seiko GMT Spring Drive is $5000.
Regardless of cost it will never be as highly regarded as a Breitling. Its like comparing a Z06 to a BMW M3. Sure they cost about the same and in most instances the Z06 is a better performer, but at the end of the day its still a Chevrolet;-) As the saying goes..."different strokes for different folks"!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: Some prices

it doesn't matter to me cause i'll always relate the seiko name as a very cheap one. if someone gave me a 80k seiko, if such a thing exists, i'd sell it and buy a hell of a lot of breitling's lol. if i go into a watch store and the first watch i see is seiko, i'm leaving lol. so to me, seiko can try all they want to put them selves in the same class as breitling, but it will never happen, not for me anyway. there are certain levels when it comes to watches, in my opinion. for example, above breitling, there is audemars piguet, glashutte original, iwc, ulysse nardin, etc. then, you kinda get up to brands like patek, richard mille, etc. that isn't to say that some of the brands i just mentioned prior to patek don't have watches in the 25k+ range, cause they definitely do. and, every brand has a tourbillon, which is off the chains in price. my point is, this how i view these certain watch price levels and seiko will always be on the very bottom. this is just my personal opinion. in the end, it's all goes back to personal taste and what works for you. perception isn't always reality.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love people's ignorance lol :-D

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Seems like a right smart fellow. That is one truly awesome watch - the best part is that its more reliable, robust, and readable than what he traded for it!B-)

BTW, there are Seikos that run $100-200k.

·
Registered
719 Posts
great, you ask for opinions and all of a sudden i'm ignorant lol. then again, i wouldn't see the movie nacho libre either, so i guess i must be ignorant when it comes to movies as well eh lol. if it's not the answer you were looking for, don't ask the question lol. not everyone is going to agree on every subject. that's what's so great about these forums, you can get all kinds of opinions on every subject regarding watches. if everyone giving their opinion on a certain subject is going to be regarded as ignorant, we better just shut down the site lol. it's just one opinion, get over it lol.

as of tomorrow, i'm changing my username to ignorantr37

I love people's ignorance lol :-D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
great, you ask for opinions and all of a sudden i'm ignorant lol. then again, i wouldn't see the movie nacho libre either, so i guess i must be ignorant when it comes to movies as well eh lol. if it's not the answer you were looking for, don't ask the question lol. not everyone is going to agree on every subject. that's what's so great about these forums, you can get all kinds of opinions on every subject regarding watches. if everyone giving their opinion on a certain subject is going to be regarded as ignorant, we better just shut down the site lol. it's just one opinion, get over it lol.

as of tomorrow, i'm changing my username to ignorantr37

Well said!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Seems like a right smart fellow. That is one truly awesome watch - the best part is that its more reliable, robust, and readable than what he traded for it!B-)

BTW, there are Seikos that run $100-200k.
Hmmmm..based on your logic, the next step would be to trade the spring drive equipped Seiko for a G-Shock that is more readable and 100 times more durable;-)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I feel the same way as Hankr37, so I guess I am ignorant as well. We are talking about watches not artificial hearts where reliability is life critical. Each of us have our own personal tastes why does anyone have to be ignorant.

One thing I can tell you is that if I were strapped for quick cash I sure as hell would rather be wearing a Breitling than a Seiko. The ignorant people tend to cough of more cash for a Breitling. I guess because they are stupid.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Hmmmm..based on your logic, the next step would be to trade the spring drive equipped Seiko for a G-Shock that is more readable and 100 times more durable;-)
Could be you have a good idea there........:think:

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
.....One thing I can tell you is that if I were strapped for quick cash I sure as hell would rather be wearing a Breitling than a Seiko. The ignorant people tend to cough of more cash for a Breitling. I guess because they are stupid.
That seems unduly harsh. Perhaps merely "uninformed" would do?:roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think like everything in society, our mere material belongings are given meaningless monetary values. everyone has arguments why a certain watch should cost X-thousands of dollars or can be more accurate than the sun and moon.

maybe we should all change our names to ignorant...

but...i do know this.....rollies or breitlings or orange monsters or g-shocks......what ever you own...or what your collection is......at the end of the day....a watch is a watch....it tell me the time...even a broken watch is correct twice a day!!!

you wanna know what makes a great watch....who wears it....I can Rock my 20 year old DW 5600 g-shock and still be get command respect as when i wear my more expensive watches.

its just sad when people....make the type of watch define who they are...I define the watch I wear.

big ups to ALLAN!!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
great, allanvalle has all his seiko cronies coming over to jump me lol. help breitling gods, i'm getting beat up by the seiko crew lol. hmmmmmmm......you have 3 post, two of which are on the seiko forum....no your not bias lol. any chance you can maybe command a little of that respect over at the seiko forum possibly lol

u want to know why i never posted on the seiko forum? cause the brand has never been a thought for me. that's just me and my personal taste, that's all. and, there is no need for me to go over there to cause any problems when the people on that forum, obviously like the brand. there obviously on that forum for a reason. u wanna know what makes a great forum, a great forum? when people stop coming over to another brands forums, just to strike up an argument. i don't get it, i don't go on other brands forums, to make comments about the brands i like, being superior. but, others find it necessary for some reason. why can't we all just stick to the forums we like and all just get along lol

big ups to all the seiko lovers in the world lol.

ignorantr37 out

i think like everything in society, our mere material belongings are given meaningless monetary values. everyone has arguments why a certain watch should cost X-thousands of dollars or can be more accurate than the sun and moon.

maybe we should all change our names to ignorant...

but...i do know this.....rollies or breitlings or orange monsters or g-shocks......what ever you own...or what your collection is......at the end of the day....a watch is a watch....it tell me the time...even a broken watch is correct twice a day!!!

you wanna know what makes a great watch....who wears it....I can Rock my 20 year old DW 5600 g-shock and still be get command respect as when i wear my more expensive watches.

its just sad when people....make the type of watch define who they are...I define the watch I wear.

big ups to ALLAN!!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's my take

I'm a M.D. and I do think that there is more than enough egotism and insecurity being displayed in this particular forum. I think respect should be given to any brand. It seems that some members have no respect for watches they don't even own. I respect all brands equally and likewise with all people.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: Here's my take

hello m.d., i'm ignorant....nice to meet ya lol

so there, we have our answer to why you even asked for our opinions on this matter. because you think "there is more than enough egotism and insecurity being displayed in this particular forum." hmmmmm...i could be wrong, but this is a very easy fix...just don't visit the breitling forum and it won't bother you lol.

I'm a M.D. and I do think that there is more than enough egotism and insecurity being displayed in this particular forum. I think respect should be given to any brand. It seems that some members have no respect for watches they don't even own. I respect all brands equally and likewise with all people.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a beautiful Saturday

Thanks for everyone's opinion and concern:) It's a beautiful Saturday, let's all enjoy it with whatever watch is on.:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.