WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really chuckle when I come across ignorant, brand-conscious, remarks. :) I posted a thread entitled "Hey fellas what's your take on this" over in the Breitling forum.

·
Premium Member
10,633 Posts
I really chuckle when I come across ignorant, brand-conscious, remarks. :) I posted a thread entitled "Hey fellas what's your take on this" over in the Breitling forum.
Nice post. You are correct that there are some ignorant people over there who just don't get it. Quality, innovation, and utility all rolled into one in that nice watch. Too bad for them - more quality affordable watches for us. I mean, if a SWISS company had made the Spring Drives what would they cost - $1m - $2m a piece?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well, that's what the guy thinks - good for him. Everybody has their own opinion... More Grand Seikos, Marine Masters and Spring Drives for the rest of us ;-)

BTW - am I correnct in thinking that Breitling makes cases for their watches and takes care of marketing them - but they use 3rd party movments in their products? (ETA?)

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
10,633 Posts
Well, that's what the guys thinks - good for him. Everybody has their own opinion... More Grand Seikos, Marine Masters and Spring Drives for the rest of us ;-)

BTW - am I correnct in thinking that Breitling makes cases for their watches and takes care of marketing them - but they use 3rd party movments in their products? (ETA?)

Thanks,
Michael
Michael,

There is some question about their making all their cases. As for the movements, they claim (but nearly NEVER offer any support) that they "modify" or "enhance" the movements that they buy from Eta. How do you "enhance" an Eta 251.262 27 jewel quartz chrono movement (Breitling B53 has that movement)? Breitling used it in several models that they sold for their typical outrageous prices. So, do they "enhance" their movements beyond having "BREITLING" inscribed onto the rotors and other parts provided by suppliers? Who knows really?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,633 Posts
This is what destroys a forum. If you have something to say, standup on our forum and say it.
Thought that is what happened? Am I missing something?:roll:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Doc

Mr. moderator I agree with Doc. I wanted to point out to Seiko owners what disrespect was given to Seiko in the Breitling forum. It seems that the Seiko owners have respect for all brands. Respect all brands but more importantly respect all people.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,154 Posts
Re: I agree with Doc

Look for seiko in red when you read the posts associated with this link.
Remember you have to open each thread and search for seiko in red. On the evidence I would suggest that you are not now aware of the attitude displayed to the brand on our forum. I think you will find that in 98% of the references seiko is refered to as a brand of quality and a well regarded choice for a particular purpose or for a particular technical development. In a few instances a seiko was regarded as a fall back watch for difficult situations where the owner didn't want to risk his breitling investment. No one ever said that seiko couldn't do the job or was a crap watch. Just that at the market values it was a lesser risk in the circumstances. Very rational in my humble opinion.

https://www.watchuseek.com/search.php?searchid=239127

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why would you do that? As a Seiko owner I am embarrassed. I don't buy Seikos' because I worry about what others think. What did you think was going to happen posting something like that in the Breitling forum? They were going to trade in there Breitlings for Springdrives? You wouldn't like it if someone did that here. There is a reason for brand specific forums.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will make no apologies

It's too bad they closed down my thread. As a loyal Breitling owner & Seiko owner I believe it was unfair that only 6 members voted to close down the thread. Last I checked there were 1,136 views in only a 24 hr period; quite unfair for those who wanted a say in the matter.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: I will make no apologies

It's too bad they closed down my thread. As a loyal Breitling owner & Seiko owner I believe it was unfair that only 6 members voted to close down the thread. Last I checked there were 1,136 views in only a 24 hr period; quite unfair for those who wanted a say in the matter.
The saying goes like this, "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: I will make no apologies

My suggestions would be - watch it. If you take the time to read the forum rules - they actually state you should not post inflammatory stuff or conduct personal attacks. I'm afraid that calling people 'ignorant' falls to the latter category and the entire thread on the Breitling forum could be easily construed as falling into the former (regardless of your actual intentions; which very well may have been quite noble). Also, a mod voiced in basically asking you to play nice. So there is probably little use in carrying on. Else - you may find yourself suspended or banned. And it would be a real shame - because I'd LOVE to see some photos of your new Spring Drive ;-)

As for the opinions of SEIKO by Breitling owners - they are hardly surprising. SEIKO has a rather lousy image in the US which they dully earned themselves by flooding the market with run of the mill quartz watches. Breitling may very well be no better in actual quality - but I guess their marketing department does a better job at selling their stuff. Not to mention they have the entire Swiss marketing machine working on the reputation of Swiss brands (regardless of their actual merits). People like what they like and chances are pretty good - it will be hard if not impossible to convince them otherwise with posts on a watch forum. Some may come to different conclusions on their own over the years (I know I have done that; some might be surprised that I no longer buy certain highly regarded brands I used to have in very high regard - because I've discovered them for what they really are; at least in my opinion). But nobody likes to be told what to like... Besides - likes and dislikes are quite irrational at times. I've recently discovered people are willing to pay close to a $1,000 on the open market for a plastic quartz watch with a picture of a monkey that costs about $3 to manufacture. If that's what they want to do with their cash - more power to them... I don't understand them but I don't think it's my place to judge them (and certainly not to insult them).

Michael

·
Registered
331 Posts
Give it a rest. Go back to the same thread you started over at the SCWF where you have more folks willing to play your "we're better then they are" game.

This isn't the first time someones told you what the above post just said. Either your not paying attention or you just don't get it.

Start you own forum if you're trying to pick fights with folks and don't play the high ground card either. You lost that card when you started name calling and making it about people and not companies. If you're going to judge others, be prepared to be judged yourself.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Is this really necessary Allan? Giant font aside, what is the reason to inflame matters on the breitling forum and then go asking seiko fans at 2 separate seiko forums to go look at what was said?

So Breitling fans on the Breitling forum showed a predilection for their brand. I can't say that I'm surprised. I bet if you tried the same thing on the Doxa forum or the Rolex forum you would have received a similar response. As was said, most posters were pretty balanced in their response (except for one who was a bit dismissive without qualifying his reasons for being so). However nothing was gained when you began with the name calling and accusatory remarks regarding their opinion, except causing the thread to decend into foolishness. Sorry, but as a very serious Seiko collector I too disagree with your behavior and your attempts at getting the rest of us involved in your argument.

Now can someone please lock this thread her as well, as it was in the Breitling forum in at SCWF.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Why would you do that? As a Seiko owner I am embarrassed. I don't buy Seikos' because I worry about what others think. What did you think was going to happen posting something like that in the Breitling forum? They were going to trade in there Breitlings for Springdrives? You wouldn't like it if someone did that here. There is a reason for brand specific forums.
^X2 - I don't have a breitling but I do own a rolex submariner, some seikos and lots of brands in between.

What you are doing is an embarrasment <|

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.