WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2901 - 2920 of 2964 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
True... selling a "CASIO" for $5k - $8k is a tall order. Especially when the Casio display is RIGHT next to the Breitling case (at my local Hamilton Jewelers) and across from the Rolex case (which is mostly empty now).

It's like trying to sell a (theoretical) $100,000 Toyota in a lot that has Porsches right next to it.
I agree with what you're saying but the Toyota dealer near me was selling quite a few $100k Land Cruisers a block away from the Porsche dealer.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I agree with what you're saying but the Toyota dealer near me was selling quite a few $100k Land Cruisers a block away from the Porsche dealer.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
Land Cruiser is a big SUV. I'm talking comparing sportscars to sportscars.

Perhaps a better comparison... the Lexus LFA for $380k vs an equivalently priced (or lower) Ferrari or Lambo. A sportscar enthusiast is going for the Italian car.... with their racing heritage (Ferrari, not Lambo) and reputation as the ultimate sports cars. Lexus is known for luxury, not performance, even if the LFA is a performance monster. They don't have the legacy or history of performance.

The only people that will choose a $7k Casio over an equivalently priced Breitling, Omega, Rolex are Casio fanatics. Other regular "watch guys" or status-seeking non-watch-guys... ain't going for the "Casio." They're just not.

And, at my local Hamilton Jewelers... a customer can look at the Casios and then side-step literally 3 feet and see the Breitlings.

I'm not making an argument over whether the MRG is "as good as" or "better" or "worse" than the others. I am not well-versed enough to make a qualified comparison based on the technical nuances. I'm just making a point about PERCEPTION... the public's perception... right or wrong. Casio is well-known to make great economical watches. We know better. But, "they" don't.

·
Registered
Omega Constellation, Steinhart, Limes, Mido Vintage, Tissot Vintage, Bulova Vintage, Apple Series 5
143 Posts
If you were going to invest some serious $$ in a Casio, wouldn’t you purchase a gorgeous Oceanus?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you were going to invest some serious $$ in a Casio, wouldn’t you purchase a gorgeous Oceanus?
Oceanus and MRGs are very different. Depends on your preferences. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the cheapest MRGs are at the high end of the Oceanus price range.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Land Cruiser is a big SUV. I'm talking comparing sportscars to sportscars.

Perhaps a better comparison... the Lexus LFA for $380k vs an equivalently priced (or lower) Ferrari or Lambo. A sportscar enthusiast is going for the Italian car.... with their racing heritage (Ferrari, not Lambo) and reputation as the ultimate sports cars. Lexus is known for luxury, not performance, even if the LFA is a performance monster. They don't have the legacy or history of performance.

The only people that will choose a $7k Casio over an equivalently priced Breitling, Omega, Rolex are Casio fanatics. Other regular "watch guys" or status-seeking non-watch-guys... ain't going for the "Casio." They're just not.

And, at my local Hamilton Jewelers... a customer can look at the Casios and then side-step literally 3 feet and see the Breitlings.

I'm not making an argument over whether the MRG is "as good as" or "better" or "worse" than the others. I am not well-versed enough to make a qualified comparison based on the technical nuances. I'm just making a point about PERCEPTION... the public's perception... right or wrong. Casio is well-known to make great economical watches. We know better. But, "they" don't.
I fully agree regarding watches. I don't agree on your car analogy. Both the Italian cars are more problematic that the LFA, and yet all three are desirable, expensive, and rarely seen outside the 1%ers.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Both the Italian cars are more problematic that the LFA, and yet all three are desirable, expensive, and rarely seen outside the 1%ers.
There are three things I know about.... guns, cars, and my profession. 😁

Hands down... the choice between those three is the Ferrari. 2nd place would be a Lambo, though I'm NOT a fan. Lexus is dead last. It doesn't matter how "good" the Lexus is technically. It's a freakin' Lexus.

Ferrari has the extensive racing heritage. Nothing looks like a Ferrari. Nothing SOUNDS like a Ferrari. Nothing else feels like a Ferrari. And, well... it's a Ferrari. Ferrari is the most well-known brand in the world along with IBM and Coca-Cola. The difference is that Ferrari never spent a dime on marketing.

Your mileage may vary. 😋

I used to be a track junkie (Subaru STI and Lotus Elise). Never law an LFA on the track. Saw Ferraris, though. Tons of Porsches. I see Lambos on the street, but never saw one on the track.

Also, I live in automotive bizarro world (lots of 1%ers here). In all the years, I may have seen 3 LFAs total. Though I see tons and tons of Lexus (regular) cars. 'Round here, I can see 3 Ferraris a day, if I'm paying attention. Porsches are like cockroaches here. I regularly see McLarens and Lambos. Bentleys are here and there, as well. I've even seen a couple of Bugatti Veyrons.

Sorry for the thread drift. Back to Casio bargains!

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Rolex Submariner 116610LN. Citizen Super Titanium CA0021-53E
1,901 Posts
Uh, holy s***. Saw this in-person a couple weeks ago. Monster and the black DLC titanium is the choice on these MRGs. For this to be marked down so substantially with a hand-hammered bezel is just wild. Anyone on the fence for this model should jump on this so I can live vicariously through you!

View attachment 15609575
Although it's hard to admit it in this specific forum, even at $3,000, it's hard to spend it on this model.

$3,000 is a substantial amount, and anything you spend above $1,000+ for a quartz will make you think twice (unless it's a HAQ like The Citizen 0100).

At $3,000, there are a lot of other options besides this MR-G that rivals or surpasses its build quality.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Although it's hard to admit it in this specific forum, even at $3,000, it's hard to spend it on this model.

$3,000 is a substantial amount, and anything you spend above $1,000+ for a quartz will make you think twice (unless it's a HAQ like The Citizen 0100).

At $3,000, there are a lot of other options besides this MR-G that rivals or surpasses its build quality.
I agree... as I was holding the MRG, the Breitlings were RIGHT next to me.

·
Registered
403 Posts

The MRG line isn't about value though, so I disagree. Spending above $1000 on quartz is easy, especially if you take the route of a GS mechanical quartz 9F or the high-end Citizen Eco-Drive movements. You're not simply buying the movement in either of those cases, but the premium finish and design language.

The MRG line is the ultimate G, so it's about no punches held G design with the greatest time-oriented modules they have all clad in titanium or steel. When you pick this one up, it's pretty wild because it's completely comfortable on wrist despite the bulkiness, all thanks to the titanium. Any polish or brushing is executed perfectly, full stop.

Moreover, to get hand-finishing on something commands a premium when automation in production lines has gone full swing at every level. To get a bezel hand-hammered using a traditional metal-finishing technique from a master craftsman is a different level of special. It may be a hard sell at the $5000 mark unless you're a complete G enthusiast, but at $3000 I think it's more than fair for the watch you get. I won't deny that part of the price is related to economies of scale with low production numbers and the part could also be to create a halo effect.

My reservation on the MRG line is because I have an MTG B1000 and the finishing and functionality on that watch makes it hard to take the leap into MRG because the execution is so good on the MTG line. But, if you want the ultimate G and you're a G enthusiast (their only market for these), you'll dive into MRG headfirst and wont look back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Again... This thread is for deals. I'm pretty sure there's another thread for discussion on the perceived value of MRG. Or you could always start one...
I came here to find information on Casio G-Shock deals and all I found was a serious Thread Drift to BS about something I could care less about..... Clean Up in Isle 2 ....Holy Crap

·
Registered
Omega Constellation, Steinhart, Limes, Mido Vintage, Tissot Vintage, Bulova Vintage, Apple Series 5
143 Posts
Any Oceanus deals out there?

·
Registered
318 Posts
this tai chi mtg b1000 is under £420!!!

it seems G Shock UK 12 days of christmas codes are still valid and all of the ones from that promo that have gone into the boxing day sale still have the 12 days promo discount knocked off the new sale price, i'm expecting cancellations lol but if mine arrives I'll be offloading the required number of squares to cover the cost, merry christmas to me I guess

2901 - 2920 of 2964 Posts